Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

1963 Starfire Barn find

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2010, 09:20 PM

Smile 1963 Starfire Barn find

Hello,
I was visiting a friend one day and decided to search his property for cars and found a 1963 Oldsmobile Starfire 2 door hardtop, with a 394 and automatic Trans. I talked to the owner and he wanted it off his property. (Free) Does anybody know much about this car (Availablility of parts, Value of the car and other info)
Thank-you
-Doug & Dalton
1962 Oldsmobile F 85 Cutlass Convertible x2
1962 Oldsmobile F 85 Convertible
1963 Oldsmobile Starfire 2 dr. hardtop
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:31 AM

Man, if it's in any kind of condition, take it off his property NOW!

I see that you have done that, actually, since it's listed in your signature. Post some pics. Stories like this are hugely interesting!

As far as value, the Old Cars Price Guide puts one of these in #6 condition, which is just parts car value, $1040, so at worst you just got something worth about a grand for the cost and trouble of hauling it away!

In #5 condition (better than parts car, but not running), the value $3120. In #4 condition (good running condition but needing total restoration), the value is $5200. In #3 (car show quality but not showroom quality), it's $11,700. In #2 (showroom), $18,200, and in #1 (better than showroom, not driven), it's $26,000.

You've got a huge potential there, and that's a heck of a find. How complete is it? What's the condition? Pic, pics pics!!!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:38 AM

Wow! Nobody gives me stuff like that. I would have got it also. If restorable that is an awesome car, if not the engine is way desirable. I too would love to see pics, please. I agree this stuff is hugely interesting.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:02 AM
Oldsdruid

Weatherstripping and a few trim parts are all that's reproduced. Other than that it will be NOS or good used, and the Starfire has a LOT of Starfire-specific trim.

394 and Slim-Jim transmission are not cheap to rebuild. Mechanical parts are usually pretty easy to find though.

Interiors use a lot of leather on seats. White or black are easy to get; the metallic-finished colors are expensive and have to be custom-dyed. Some colors are available in an equivalent-appearing vinyl.

If the car's complete and not beat up too bad, you have scored an exceptional find. A Starfire is as cool as it gets for a 60s Oldsmobile, and about as cool a 60s car as there is.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:07 AM

Sounds like a win win. If its good enough to restore. Then you will have another cool car. If its to bad to restore then you can part it out and make a little money.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Weatherstripping and a few trim parts are all that's reproduced. Other than that it will be NOS or good used, and the Starfire has a LOT of Starfire-specific trim.
Doesn't someone repro that trim also?

SMS can provide original upholstery material and door panels.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:44 PM

The embossed trim panels are being reproduced by Jaswest (me),I am making them for 61,62 and 63 starfires.
Steve
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:30 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
The embossed trim panels are being reproduced by Jaswest (me),I am making them for 61,62 and 63 starfires.
Steve

TOOT TOOT TOOT your own "Horn" why don't ya, 'cause you don't get a chance that often, that's why!!!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Oldsdruid

Count yourself lucky Steve is reproducing the stuff at all. Otherwise it's a search for unobtainium. What's disgusting is I know of at least one person who is hoarding several complete sets of NOS 62 and 63 side trim, waiting for the right "opportunity". His own words there.

Wish I could talk Steve into repopping the 1964 tail panel. Ya wanna talk about unobtainium...
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:45 AM

Cool Hoarding!!

Count yourself lucky Steve is reproducing the stuff at all. Otherwise it's a search for unobtainium. What's disgusting is I know of at least one person who is hoarding several complete sets of NOS 62 and 63 side trim, waiting for the right "opportunity". His own words there.

Wish I could talk Steve into repopping the 1964 tail panel. Ya wanna talk about unobtainium...

Hoarding that N.O.S. Aluminum Trim is senseless as you will never get those Panels to match, and be consistent in color and grain so if you want consistency Steve's Aluminum is really the only way to go.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:58 AM

So many treasures are found in Oregon... I need to visit my friends there more often AND look for hidden cars!
Great car - post details on your recent uncovery!
Old May 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM

What is the color ? Options? Does it have a/c?
It will be a few years from now, but a 63 Stafire is next on my list. My Dad had to sell his blue 63 two years ago.
My DAd's 1963 Stafires:
1963 Wedgewood Blue HT from Aug 1963-1965
junky 63 rAGTOP, oCT 1988-jAN 1989
CITUS bLUE hardtop, from Jan 1989- July 2008

Last edited by toro68; May 4th, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old May 4th, 2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by chequenman
Hoarding that N.O.S. Aluminum Trim is senseless as you will never get those Panels to match, and be consistent in color and grain so if you want consistency Steve's Aluminum is really the only way to go.
That is good news to know about Steve's Aluminum Satrfire panels.

Rocketradier remebers, back in June of 1988, when he was with my Dad, and my old man ALMOST got a COMPLETE set of NOS 1963 Stafire side trim fro only $150!
It was not 3-5 minutes later that set was gone!
This was before Dad got his former 63 .
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
So many treasures are found in Oregon... I need to visit my friends there more often AND look for hidden cars!
Great car - post details on your recent uncovery!
Now you know why John (2blu442) has so many cars.
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Oldsdruid

Jerry, you weren't at 1990 Nats in Columbus OH when Kitchener and I were about ten steps behind Dell Myers in the swap meet. Kitch had that Antique Rose 63 coupe at the time and couldn't get anything because Dell was buying up every 63 Starfire part he could find for that Cirrus Blue convertible he had. We'd see Dell with an armload of stuff and he'd say "Not buying anything else!" then an hour later you'd see him with another turn of stuff saying "Look what else I found! Not buying anything else!" This went on for two days in the swap meet. I don't think Kitch got anything, but there were some happy vendors because Dell would spend the money to get Starfire parts.

There's times I think I should have bought that convert off Dell when he sold it. It was a nice car.
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Rocketradier/Glenn with two Ns

I remeber I could not attend the 1990 Olds Nat. I remeber you telling me the story of Dell. I think my Dad got some of the used parts from Dell, back in 1995 ish (before Dad got his cancer). I think Dell was selling that Stafire for about $12,000 ( I think Dad told me he was selling the Stafire, because he was getting married/"tried of being happy").
I know of a very nice UNRESOTRED, 18,000 origanl mile, 1963 Satfire ragtop with a/c, in my area. But the price is $30 grand.

Speking of NOS Oldsmobile parts........

About 8-9 years ago I have a chance to get the sivler 68 Toronado, fromer owned by the Crawford brothers (You remember Bill?).
I remeber brother Alex buying a TON of 1968 Toronado stuff
Bill got the car in late 1968 (69 models were coming out), he sold the car to brother Alex about 1986/87. Alex passes away in the late 1990s, Bill gets the car back, then Bill died in the early 2000s. Them alex's wife gets the car about 2001/02.
I knew something was not right when Alex was tring to sell his beloved Toronado for $15,000 (mid 1990s) at the time.

Anyho, when the car did sell, I heard in 2002 is sold for a sum of less than $5000 ($4000-4500 range). Heck the NOS parts then came with the Toronado was more than double (maybe triple) for what the Toronado sold for.
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM

Hey,
Thanks for the information.
OUR PROCESS: First we went out and retrieved loose parts (Hood, Trunk, --wrong radiator-- (He has to many parts) and other things) Then we purchased an engine hoist and barely succeeded at removing the engine and tranny which was under a juniper tree. Many paint scratches on the hoist, and broken tree branches later we got the engine up in the air, and backed the truck under the engine!
Next we took all the tires off the car, put some extra steel wheels under the car and took the wheels to Goodyear to get some miscellanious tires put onto the wheels. Come to find out the tires didnt have a steel belt in them..?? We went back out to the car last night put the wheels on the car, aired up the flat one attached the truck to the front suspension of the Starfire with a "Come along" and pulled the car out of its hole! Now its a road block in a section of the farm road junction..??
Hopefully we get the car out sometime soon!
Now we know that the same owner has a wrecking yard with a bunch of free cars.. (A great Mother's Day present! :P)
hahaha
Thanks for all the replies
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:12 AM

.......Wish I could talk Steve into repopping the 1964 tail panel. Ya wanna talk about unobtainium.....
I have a pretty good 1964 Starfire tail panel if you need it. It is missing an "O" from the Oldsmobile and has a small dent in it but overall in good shape.

Rene
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Oldsdruid

Rene, thanks, but that pretty much describes the ones I have!

The one on the green car is nice except the "I" won't stay attached and there's an old AAA decal on the left side. The one on the blue car has a ding on the lower edge from a stoplight crunch years before I got the car. The blue one has an amazingly straight bumper- a little hammer work and a rechrome would make an excellent bumper. There is NO rust through on it.

I would love to find an NOS one (every 64 owner's impossible dream) but the last one I found was bent from storage and I wasn't about to pay $300 for one with that much damage.

I found one around 1987, the guy wanted $110 for it, and I thought that was too much money back then. I have kicked myself many times over that one.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:41 PM

The STARFIRE is sitting in the back of the property now. I will post pictures later- It took a forklift with a boom to pull it up on the tilt trailer and then some air in the tires to get it off.

Have been cleaning it out- a little pepper rust in the trunk. Will try and loosen the engine up to see if it will turn-394.

I am looking for the upper radiator support that is mounted between the fenders. It is the support between the radiator and the engine. The previous people thought that torch cutting the support would be easier than unbolting four or more bolts. Please help if you know of a support...

Cheers
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:36 PM

I have purchased a parts car 1963 Dynamic 88 4 door with a running 394 in it. Would've driven it home but the bad transmission with a slip in 2nd gear forced us into trailering it home. Glad that this car had what every other car needs in its trunk.. A good spare transmission :P.
Here are some pictures of the project, please click on the link. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...8548&aid=15829

Last edited by trackz man; February 19th, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

But what about those of us who don't want to join FaceBook?

- Eric
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM

Facebook???

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric
Well don't join, you're not missing that much if u read the other posts.
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Registered Loser

Frame?!

What's the deal with the frame on the Starfire? Curiosity is killing me on this one -- thx!

BTW, it's nice to see you save it...you definitely have your work cut out for you.
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by chequenman
Well don't join, you're not missing that much if u read the other posts.
I enjoy looking at pretty pictures, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me to post photos intended for an open audience on a closed site.

No matter to me. I'm of an age where I feel that who my friends are is nobody's business but my own, and not something to list in public on a "wall."

- Eric
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:01 AM

I enjoy looking at pretty pictures, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me to post photos intended for an open audience on a closed site.

No matter to me. I'm of an age where I feel that who my friends are is nobody's business but my own, and not something to list in public on a "wall."

- Eric

Exactly !! but then u have e-mail.... a little more discrete @ times.....
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:01 AM

- Eric
I am not on Facebook, and do care to join.
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:16 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by toro68
I am not on Facebook, and do care to join.
You don't have to join to view public profiles. The owner of the album should have a "public URL" displayed at the bottom of the page that he can share with everywhere here.

Sneak Peak

Old February 21st, 2011, 06:06 AM

Just checking..

Having recently purchased a 63 Starfire myself.......Are you guys restoring? or maybe selling a few of these hard to find parts?? No one has said for sure, so just thought I would ask. Cold hard cash waiting for a nice rear bumper, rocket emblem on front fender, or even the tiny piece of trim right behind the door lock.
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by lansing
Having recently purchased a 63 Starfire myself.......Are you guys restoring? or maybe selling a few of these hard to find parts?? No one has said for sure, so just thought I would ask. Cold hard cash waiting for a nice rear bumper, rocket emblem on front fender, or even the tiny piece of trim right behind the door lock.
I've got lots of pieces but they won't be available for quite awhile 'cause my son is trying to rebuild a Starfire Conv., and when u work and restore it yourself it takes time. All the parts he'll be using are mine, so what ever is left will be for sale..........
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:03 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Joffroi
You don't have to join to view public profiles. The owner of the album should have a "public URL" displayed at the bottom of the page that he can share with everywhere here.
Nope. Nothin'.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FaceBook Login Screen.jpg (70.8 KB, 22 views)
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:27 PM

Thumbs up

WOW! WHAT A COOL FIND!! GOOD MAN Rescuing this true "Diamond in the Rough!" Keep us posted and keep up the great work; what a neat car!! Those dry environments are ideal for preserving this old Metal! CONGRATS!

Originally Posted by Joffroi

Sneak Peak

Old February 21st, 2011, 05:51 PM

For those of you not wanting to join FaceBook to look at pictures of the Starfire, here is a link to my Cardomain.com garage for my Starfire. It only has limited pictures that are on my computer, but I will upload some more.

Last edited by trackz man; March 2nd, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM

Lansing,
We are currently rebuilding the 394 out of the Starfire. We have a Dynamic 88 4 door for parts. We will have all emblems, interior, extra mechanical, body parts (missing trunk-lid and hood), and chrome parts. Almost 100% of the car will be for sale. Whole thing or parts after we have out Starfire finished we will start selling mechanical parts we need. Let us know if you need any interchangeable parts!
-Dalton & Doug
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by trackz man
For those of you not wanting to join FaceBook to look at pictures of the Starfire, here is a link to my Cardomain.com garage...
Thanks for the effort, trackz, but unfortunately, that link just gets referred back to the CarDomain home page.
At least you were nice enough to try...

Looks like a nice car from what I've seen.

- Eric
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:37 AM

[quote=toro68;172129]What is the color ? Options? Does it have a/c?
[quote]

It is cirrus blue, no power windows, seats or anything else. Not even air conditioning. So I guess it is really RARE...I really do not want to get into a discussion about RARE as I have read many of them on this site. So it is UNIQUE... How is that?
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:47 AM

lansing-

not doing any selling of parts, in fact we have been purchasing lots of parts of evil-bay and around the country. Do you have any parts for sale?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:46 PM

Updated Pics.

Hello,
Here is a link to my Flickr Page for pictures of my 1963 Starfire. http://www.flickr.com/photos/50416089@N05/?saved=1
Hopefully this one works! (Fingers crossed)
-Dalton
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:22 PM

Arrow Color!!!

[quote=trackz man;255929][quote=toro68;172129]What is the color ? Options? Does it have a/c?

It is cirrus blue, no power windows, seats or anything else. Not even air conditioning. So I guess it is really RARE...I really do not want to get into a discussion about RARE as I have read many of them on this site. So it is UNIQUE... How is that?
If u look at my Avatar you'll notice it's the same color as your car, but that's not Cirrus Blue .... it's Wedgewood Mist... just thought I could clear that up for You.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Looks nice and solid.

Good luck with it!

- Eric

Quick Reply: 1963 Starfire Barn find