Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

parts question for 65 starfire

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2014, 02:55 PM
mmmm, starfires

parts question for 65 starfire

I was talking to my mechanic today, and he said after a full tune up, oil change, and some brake work my car is running awesome and stopping much safer!

He did say that my mystery puddle was my steering box. He said where the steering shaft goes into the box has a leaking seal. He also said the box has a decent amount of play in it.

Do you guys know anyone that can rebuild my box, or know a good source for a rebuilt GM box?

Also, I need some steering column pieces related to my horn. There are some plastic pieces in the column that have broken with time/age and when I turn the wheel, the horn contact grounds out and beeps. Its real annoying! Are these parts something maybe Fusicks would have, or do you guys know another source?

Thanks!
-Justin
Old September 17th, 2014, 05:53 PM
2 '66 98's

Justin,

I'm sure you are a member of OCA. Look in JWO for an ad for rebuilding the steering box. The guy's name is Chip. I had one done a few years back. He also changes the steering ratio if you want. He recommends rebuilding the pump at the same time. I was very satisfied with his work and response to problems.

Post a picture of the broken parts under the steering wheel so we can see what it is you need. I'm sure someone will have it lying around.

Bruce
Old September 17th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Phantom Phixer

Do you guys know anyone that can rebuild my box, or know a good source for a rebuilt GM box?

Rock Auto. com has them $80 and up. Probably NAPA does too, and they may be cheaper when you take shipping into account. Probably not a stock item at NAPA, but a part that could be had in a few days.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,7416
Old September 17th, 2014, 10:30 PM
mmmm, starfires

Thanks for the info on Chip. I just got my JWO so I will look for him!

As far as the steering wheel let me see if I can get it back off tomorrow or Friday so I can get some pictures. Its a pain when I'm parking at a car show and the horn keeps blowing lol
Old September 18th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by justintiime

Also, I need some steering column pieces related to my horn. There are some plastic pieces in the column that have broken with time/age and when I turn the wheel, the horn contact grounds out and beeps. Its real annoying! Are these parts something maybe Fusicks would have, or do you guys know another source?
You may find what you need here;
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ntact&_sacat=0
Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:25 AM
Oldsdruid

I've heard good words about Chip at Power Steering Services and also about Dan at Lares Corporation. I think Dan does the specialized old car work for Lares.

I don't know if I'd go the full quick ratio upgrade on a boat like a 65 big car, but if it can be upgraded to variable ratio unit that would work real nice.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:26 AM
mmmm, starfires

cool thanks