Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

How to remove clock handle to change gauge glass

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:46 PM

How to remove clock handle to change gauge glass

Does anyone know how to remove the clock adjuster handle/**** to change the gauge glass. I bought a 1969 tick tock tach off of E-Bay that I was told had a quartz clock in it. The glass was cracked by the clock adjuster **** and thought no big deal to change. Well I cannot figure out how to remove the **** and I am worried about breaking the clock. I have removed the tach from the metal housing and have removed the clock from the inside of the tach but stil cant remove the adjuster ****. I have pulled up on the **** and held the adjuster stem with a small pair of needle nose vise grips and tried unscrewing the **** by hand, no luck. Do I need to put pliers on the **** while holding the adjuster stem to unscrew it? I am very worried about breaking the clock but I want a nice close fit on the new glass to keep dust out of the gauge face. Any help would be greatly appreciated. .....Todd
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:09 PM
"I reckon so!"

Hmm . . . the ones I have seen have a tiny set screw in the middle. Dead center of the ****. Maybe it is only for the mid seventies clocks.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:44 PM
2 '66 98's

The ***** on my '66 clocks are threaded on. It takes two pairs of pliers to get them loose.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:01 PM

Thanks guys it was indeed threaded on as I thought but was worried about breakig it. i was told to soak the back side of it with some WD40 which I need and left it for a couple of hours. I pulled up on the **** and held it there with a small pair of needle nose vise grips, i then put some electrical tape on the **** as to not damage it as I put another small pair of regular vise grip on the ****. It came free relatively easily this time and I'm good togo. got the new glass in and it looks great! Thanks for your help! Todd