Spectra vs Aeromotive

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2023, 04:29 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Spectra vs Aeromotive

I'm gearing up for my electronic fuel pump conversion from stock because I will be running Speedmaster79 heads on a 350, Has anyone here installed the Spectra Premium GM34RFI and how does it perform. The Spectra cost saving having me question the quality, the saving is night and day between the 2.
Old February 25th, 2023, 04:40 AM

The quality is also a night and day difference.
Old February 25th, 2023, 05:38 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Originally Posted by Rallye469
The quality is also a night and day difference.
Any specifics, is it loud, don't last, cornering problems?
Old February 25th, 2023, 06:19 AM

I have had a spectra fuel tank in my 66 Pontiac feeding a 96 lt1 since 2011. Had a fuel pump go bad soon after install but they sent me a new one and no problem since then. I was my kids high school car. So I am sure the boys put it through its paces. Its nothing fancy but has done the job. The engine is stock so cant say it will support high fuel requirements.

Tim
Old February 25th, 2023, 06:24 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Originally Posted by TimMC
I have had a spectra fuel tank in my 66 Pontiac feeding a 96 lt1 since 2011. Had a fuel pump go bad soon after install but they sent me a new one and no problem since then. I was my kids high school car. So I am sure the boys put it through its paces. Its nothing fancy but has done the job. The engine is stock so cant say it will support high fuel requirements.

Tim
Thanks alot for the feedback, its easy enough to replace the fuel pump if thats the only hurdle and it will still be alot cheaper as long as its the same opening size etc

Last edited by skyhigh; February 25th, 2023 at 06:40 AM.
Old February 26th, 2023, 07:11 PM

Another option is Tanks Inc, with a quality Walbro pump. Cost should land between the Spectra and Aeromotive. I've been running one for about 10 years, no problems.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...rod/prd387.htm
Old February 27th, 2023, 07:16 AM

IMO it's all about the baffling. I can't remember what the internals of the spectra tank look like.... the early electric fuel pump conversions just plopped a pump into a small basket. Not very effective so could have trouble once got below 1/4 tank. It's especially bad on these muscle car tanks because they're so flat.
The Tanks, Inc has a very nice giant bucket in it with anti-slosh tubes but I considered their pump setup to be so-so. I converted it to a Phantom fuel module but haven't been able to really test it yet.
Ricks Tanks is the top tier, and they charge appropriately.

All depends on what you want to do with the car, how much you want to spend, and just how important it is to run 100% on a low tank. If you are OK always keeping it over 1/2 a tank then any one will do - just size the pump to match your engine.
All of these units use a common format pump so you can swap in just about any aftermarket pump onto their hanger/lines/etc. So I looked at it as three separate choices: 1) tank for good baffling, 2) pump that meets engine demands, 3) fuel level sender that could be swapped/modified and still seal well.
Old February 27th, 2023, 11:20 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Originally Posted by Mr Nick
Another option is Tanks Inc, with a quality Walbro pump. Cost should land between the Spectra and Aeromotive. I've been running one for about 10 years, no problems.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...rod/prd387.htm
Thank you sir, much appreciated. The one with the notched corners looks like another upgraded tank.
EDIT: Looks like there pump is a Walbro, great price.

Last edited by skyhigh; February 27th, 2023 at 12:40 PM.
Old February 27th, 2023, 01:03 PM

The tank with notched corners does indeed have the updated baffling. The Aeromotive version, imo, has a superior pump vs the Walbro but that is an arguable point, nothing wrong with the Walbro. I had one of the early design tanks and had a number of problems with fuel delivery, replaced it with the updated version, never a problem since.

​​​​​​….