Comfortron Delete - Aftermarket Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2014, 12:00 AM

Comfortron Delete - Aftermarket Replacement?

So, someone at some point in the past has removed the compressor, condenser etc etc from the AC system on my 1970 98, plus disconnected the heater matrix. As part of the resto I was originally looking to put the Comfortron back in, but from what I read they are difficult to get working, and parts are hard to come by, so instead I am looking for an aftermarket replacement.

Does anyone have experience of fitting something like the old-air products systems into one of these C-body cars? Ideally I want both heat and cool, trying to use as much of the original dash vents etc as possible.

Thanks,
Old January 6th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There are a number of aftermarket suppliers of refrigeration parts, so, if you want to go with more modern components, you should have no problem, though they will not be made for the car.

As far as the ductwork, etc., I think that unless you are very ingenious and have a lot of free time, your only choice is to buy an entire manual A/C system from a junk car and install it. The Comfortron system is going to be all or nothing, and, as you have observed, they have a reputation for being finicky, so it would probably be best not to try to resurrect yours, unless you really like a challenge.

- Eric
Old January 6th, 2014, 04:40 AM

Thanks Eric, the thing is that there are no junk cars here, not of the same type at least, so everything will be a custom fit, or I will have to get a system from a Junk car over your side of the world and then get it shipped, plus upgraded to use modern refrigerant.

My thought was to go with something like the Old Air system, getting rid of everything from the stock set-up bar the dash vents, and trying to duct the new set-up into the stock vents. Only think I am not sure of yet is whether there is space under the dash to get the aftermarket system fitted.
Old January 6th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Research Vintage Air also, their systems combine A/C, heat and defrost in a very compact electrically controlled system which eliminates all the vacuum lines. Everything fits under the dash except the compressor. I installed their Gen 4 system in a 1963 Riviera using all the stock dash outlets and it worked great.

http://www.vintageair.com/
Old January 6th, 2014, 09:03 AM

I was looking at the Vintage Air stuff last year at a show, but somehow have managed to lose the business card of the Dutch supplier... My main thing is getting some ideas of peoples personal experience with the systems, particularly in the full size sedans. I want to be able to use the car all year round, so a decent heater / ac system is a must.