Column shifter

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2022, 05:05 PM

Column shifter

Recently bought a beautiful billet shifter which ended up not fitting. Universal fit my ***.

Now I can’t get the OE shifter back in. I can partially insert it and shift from park to R to neutral, but that all done with the pin installed that holds the shifter in place. SOS

Last edited by NorthBay72supreme; August 15th, 2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old August 16th, 2022, 05:24 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

so to reaffirm - you can currently shift the column from Park thru neutral with the factory lever fully reinstalled but not into drive? or are you saying the lever won't go fully back in to where you can reinsert the pin?

Is that a factory tilt or non-tilt column? I'm assuming non-tilt because you have a non-tilt shift lever (the tilt lever is not as long at the end and squared off at the tip, no point - they're not interchangeable but you can easily grind the point off to where it will work on a tilt-column.

Last edited by 70sgeek; August 16th, 2022 at 05:26 AM.
Old August 16th, 2022, 05:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Your Chassis Service Manual shows you how to insert a shim into the shift bowl to depress the spring before you insert the shift lever.
Old August 16th, 2022, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 70sgeek
so to reaffirm - you can currently shift the column from Park thru neutral with the factory lever fully reinstalled but not into drive? or are you saying the lever won't go fully back in to where you can reinsert the pin?

Is that a factory tilt or non-tilt column? I'm assuming non-tilt because you have a non-tilt shift lever (the tilt lever is not as long at the end and squared off at the tip, no point - they're not interchangeable but you can easily grind the point off to where it will work on a tilt-column.
Its not fully installed. I can get to neutral with the shifter partially seated. Can’t reinsert the pin. And yes, non tilt.
Old August 16th, 2022, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Your Chassis Service Manual shows you how to insert a shim into the shift bowl to depress the spring before you insert the shift lever.
Thanks Joe I’ll take a look. I fumbled around with the assembly manual, got frustrated, and posted. I’ll check it out.
Old August 16th, 2022, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by NorthBay72supreme
Thanks Joe I’ll take a look. I fumbled around with the assembly manual, got frustrated, and posted. I’ll check it out.

Hey Joe any bright ideas on what I can use for a shim? I’ve tried and Allen wrench and a jig saw blade with no luck.
Old August 17th, 2022, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 70sgeek

I can partially insert the shift lever and cycle from P to N. But I cannot fully insert it where I can reinsert the pin.
Old August 17th, 2022, 07:24 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

how about a really thin long shank / small sized flat blade screwdriver - something along the lines of a jeweler's tool
Old August 17th, 2022, 08:22 PM

For a long, thin, flat, strong piece of metal I use the metal strips out of wiper blade refills.
Old August 18th, 2022, 04:12 PM

Guys I got it. Went to a salvage yard and bought various gauges of scrap metal. This sucker did the trick.