‘68 442 Hood Question

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2022, 01:23 PM

‘68 442 Hood Question

I have a question about the hood latch on the hood. My hood piece that goes into the hood latch portion on the radiator hood lock, Moves left to right and wondered if there is a way to tighten the vertical piece. I can’t see how this is possible from the manual. Before I close hood I have to make sure it’s lined up with the locking hole. Thanks I’m advance. Guy

Old June 2nd, 2022, 01:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Frisbee_k9
I have a question about the hood latch on the hood. My hood piece that goes into the hood latch portion on the radiator hood lock, Moves left to right and wondered if there is a way to tighten the vertical piece. I can’t see how this is possible from the manual. Before I close hood I have to make sure it’s lined up with the locking hole. Thanks I’m advance. Guy
Guy, are you talking about the tapered pilot, the secondary latch, or both? The tapered pilot screws into a nut welded to the underside frame and the nut on the pilot shaft is a jam nut that is tightened against the first one to lock the pilot into place once you have the height adjusted properly. If it's loose, is the jam nut tightened against the underside of the hood frame?
Old June 2nd, 2022, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Guy, are you talking about the tapered pilot, the secondary latch, or both? The tapered pilot screws into a nut welded to the underside frame and the nut on the pilot shaft is a jam nut that is tightened against the first one to lock the pilot into place once you have the height adjusted properly. If it's loose, is the jam nut tightened against the underside of the hood frame?
HI Joe,
It's the hook on the underside of the hood that fits into the frame top that I hit my head on. It doesn't look like the Hood Latch Pilot that is shown in the manual. That hook mechanism is loose and allows to move a little left or right. I feel that I have to align it before I close the hood. The unit that I open and lift on the hood after the under bumper pull.

Last edited by Frisbee_k9; June 2nd, 2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2022, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Frisbee_k9
HI Joe,
It's the hook on the underside of the hood that fits into the frame top that I hit my head on. It doesn't look like the Hood Latch Pilot that is shown in the manual. That hook mechanism is loose and allows to move a little left or right. I feel that I have to align it before I close the hood. The unit that I open and lift on the hood after the under bumper pull.
You should have both. The tapered piece fits into the hood lock mechanism that's actuated by the lever in front of the license plate. The hook mechanism is just the safety which loosely hooks into the top of the core support in a slot. It doesn't ever fit tightly and is only used a the secondary safety after the hood lock release is actuated
Old June 3rd, 2022, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
You should have both. The tapered piece fits into the hood lock mechanism that's actuated by the lever in front of the license plate. The hook mechanism is just the safety which loosely hooks into the top of the core support in a slot. It doesn't ever fit tightly and is only used a the secondary safety after the hood lock release is actuated
yes that tapered piece that fits into the hood lock mechanism can be moved right and left just a little I wanted to see if I can tighten that so there's no play.

Thanks Joe and Allyolds.

Last edited by Frisbee_k9; June 3rd, 2022 at 06:54 AM. Reason: added a picture
Old June 3rd, 2022, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Is the jam nut on the conical pilot tightened (or even in place)?