Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

gas monkey / fast n loud show

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by nj_cutlass72
Is anyone watching graveyard cars? I never see the crew work on the mopars, it's all goofing around.. Somehow the cars get magically done to factory specs although I do enjoy seeing the cars when they are all done.
i never seen it but i will look out for it for sure , i love all the car stuff thats on nowa day.
better then them talk shows lol
and i know what you mean about the cars getting done i sometimes wonder if they just send them out, because some of them guys you say what the hell lol ,but they do come out nice!
Old November 28th, 2014, 01:07 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I have yet to see an American car resto show that has any technical content other than new parts being shown to the camera before (I suspect) a proper tech does the job properly, then gets off shot while the lead characters recite their lines.
Wheeler Dealers isn't quite so bad, or perhaps I have a biased opinion.
Nevertheless, I have always found something better to watch, even if it just the clock above my television......

Roger.
Old November 28th, 2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by oldstata
As, I am reading some of these responses it is true these are cars shows based for entertainment! I think what got me into cars in the first place was power block trucks, he built a few, as he did he educated you on custom work what your end goal should be and detail work. It had advertisement in the show, but drama free for the most part
Just looked it up it was a truck they called it copperhead it had the first crate 572 in it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jrXcBvWU3y0
Just to keep things current ... Stacey got the first 'production' 572 for Copperhead. Jay Leno got the prototype 572, it's predecessor. If I recall, Jay had to replace the head gasket. Copperhead was later sold on E-bay for 67k
Old November 28th, 2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I have yet to see an American car resto show that has any technical content other than new parts being shown to the camera before (I suspect) a proper tech does the job properly, then gets off shot while the lead characters recite their lines.
Wheeler Dealers isn't quite so bad, or perhaps I have a biased opinion.
Nevertheless, I have always found something better to watch, even if it just the clock above my television......

Roger.
your right rodger that does sound appealing LMFAO!
Old November 28th, 2014, 08:44 AM

Funny i bet none of you has really even talked to Boyd C in person! I have when he was alive very nice guy! TV drama i would say made him the bad guy! He wanted to know more about our projects than to talk about himself. He was in his trailer when we found his car he was showing.We ask a guy at the table if boyd was here or just his car.He told us he was in the trailer eating but he would go see if he wanted to talk to us. He dropped the food and came out. We talked for a good thirty min. Got our pictures taken with Boyd beside his car.Rest in peace.
Old November 28th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Justin

Originally Posted by Professur
Just to keep things current ... Stacey got the first 'production' 572 for Copperhead. Jay Leno got the prototype 572, it's predecessor. If I recall, Jay had to replace the head gasket. Copperhead was later sold on E-bay for 67k
Thanks didn't know this.
I know he built many trucks and did simple mods on the show
Right down to paint care I learned a lot from it
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Funny i bet none of you has really even talked to Boyd C in person! I have when he was alive very nice guy! TV drama i would say made him the bad guy! He wanted to know more about our projects than to talk about himself. He was in his trailer when we found his car he was showing.We ask a guy at the table if boyd was here or just his car.He told us he was in the trailer eating but he would go see if he wanted to talk to us. He dropped the food and came out. We talked for a good thirty min. Got our pictures taken with Boyd beside his car.Rest in peace.

Nope, never did. But I did hear about what caused the rift between him and Foose. Politicians are really personable folks too. But I agree ... TV drama is a terrible thing to behold. But every reality show star knows what they're signing on for and doesn't loose a whole lot of sleep over how they're portrayed. I recall an interview with the OCC crew. When they saw the pilot of their show, they were horrified. They were certain they'd made themselves look like a bunch of clowns and their reputation was finished .... and then they saw the ratings. And the pay cheques. After that ... it was all drama, all the time. There's a reason Vince walked and Mikey suddenly appeared centre stage. The OCC guys always have time for their fans too. Doesn't make them nice people ... particularly if they happen to owe you money. It's worth looking up the legal record for Orange County Iron Works before you shake hands with them.

And oddly enough, that segue brings us right back to Boyd again, doesn't it?
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Thanks didn't know this.
I know he built many trucks and did simple mods on the show
Right down to paint care I learned a lot from it

The Crazy Horse build was the one that did it for me. I still remember making that first cut into the rusty floor of my Sonoma. One cut ... walked away, had a beer. Came back later, and hands were steady as a rock thereafter.
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
i like the shows , and thats funny to hear because boyd seemed like a real dick on the show, just goes to show you really cant judge people on tv , that was awesome that he took time and talked to you guys gotta respect people like that.its better than looking at your clock all day
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:59 AM

Every once in a while I'll glance at the Fast-n-loud show. The last one I caught featured a '65 Impala. I'm no stranger to Impala's, and I just about fell off the couch when they said they got 75K for that thing. Where in the world are those people when I need them? You do have to take it with a grain of salt, though. If I recall it didn't break 20K on e-bay, and that was probably way more than enough. Most of these types of shows just drive me nut's, and if I do watch, it is for the "train wreck" factor. I sometimes can't resist to see just how bad they are going to hack something.
Old November 30th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by Professur
The Crazy Horse build was the one that did it for me. I still remember making that first cut into the rusty floor of my Sonoma. One cut ... walked away, had a beer. Came back later, and hands were steady as a rock thereafter.
That was the bronco correct ? It's been many years.
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:49 AM

It was the Bronco. The entire floor was shot. That set of shows makes a really good primer for teaching rust repair. Primer ... so long as you remember that every car has it's own quirks. And that this was frame-on. Wouldn't want to try the same work on a uni-body.
Old December 1st, 2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
it's a stupid show.
x2.
Eric,
You beat me to it.
Exactly the words I was planning to use 'til I saw your post.

Last edited by 67442nut; December 1st, 2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old December 1st, 2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by leroycjr
I saw that episode where the mustang got hit. I think the fame was bent pretty bad and he didn't want to sink the money into it all over after like 20K. Overhauling did a nice 72 442 convertible few seasons ago. I just like how on all these shows when something happens everyone is like "OOOOOOH I cant believe this" lol at least they have budgets. If they want some real TV try filming one of us restoring a car with a very limited budget if you want to see some real scream and hollering.
I know that's right, try building a 72 convertible on my budget I have to sale other things sometimes swap and trade to get the parts I need. All work done by me
Old December 7th, 2014, 12:04 PM

Ive watched a few episodes when i had the chance, but like any of those shop, or even auction shows i just like to watch the cars being built or what they look like when they are finished. I never really pay attention to the people
Old September 7th, 2015, 06:19 PM

a$$ monkeys are about to cut up a 78 cutlass...new episode
Old September 7th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I like where they are going with it to b honest. I like lowriders
Old September 7th, 2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I like where they are going with it to b honest. I like lowriders
they picked the best body style to do it with, it will b interesting to see..
Old September 7th, 2015, 08:21 PM

Richard Rawlings needs to pull his lower lip over his head then swallow! Sorry guys he annoys the hell out of me and I'm slightly jealous of the stupid money they make from selling junk and now he's making money from Dodge commercials. Fortunately I discovered if I shut him off I don't regret the time lost watching his show anymore! And what's with all the Premadona jewelry, I bet shaking his hand is like shaking hands with a fish. Don't hate me its just my opinion!
Sean
Old September 8th, 2015, 02:22 AM
NOVICE car nut

I wouldn't watch that show either . I did at first , but I wanted to see car stuff , not the stupid antics .
Old September 8th, 2015, 12:20 PM

Location: San Francisco area in formerly wonderful California
Fast n Loud

Yea Richard is a jerk but in the old days, before they figured out that stupid antics trump car ideas they did a Ford Crown Vic front end into a truck conversion. Made us think why not into an Oldsmobile? I was just starting the frame off of my 1950 2 door sedan. I wanted it stock appearing but as modern as possible and I NEEDED power steering.

For $200 we picked up an aluminum front crossmember from a 2004 Ford CV Police car complete with disc brakes, power rack and strut suspension. We narrowed it and adapted it to the Olds frame and the result is a stock appearing fine driving cruiser that stops and steers like a dream. We used a 57 J-2 for power and a Tremec 5 speed transmission (the La Salle look).

Last week-end we won an award at the Goodguys "crown jewel" meet here in Pleasanton, CA.

Proof that in these phony car shows on TV, once and awhile an idea does emerge...
Old September 15th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Olds Fever

The 78 Cutlass is finished and for sale on EBay........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221886063426...3426&viewitem=
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
78 CUTLASS.JPG (164.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by CRUZN 66; September 15th, 2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old September 15th, 2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66

Okay if i was Latino i would be all over that!!I am not it sucks plain and simple.The show sucks plain and simple also.
Old September 15th, 2015, 09:55 AM

I'm latino and appreciate lowriders but am a muscle car guy. Lowriders are what got me into cars.
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't like it. Why spend all the paint on the roof and hood when no one is going to see it for the most part. The doors don't fit right either, especially at the back.

They needed something to break up the rear sail panel sticking up like a sharks fin on a lowered car. Sorry - it just looks wrong in plain jane side paint - especially green.

This is no burn out car - not with a 260 and 2.29:1 rear axle.
Old September 15th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I'm latino and appreciate lowriders but am a muscle car guy. Lowriders are what got me into cars.
That was no slam on Latino's in my first post.This just isn't my preference in style paint wise. The low rider part is okay but as alan pointed out what didn't look right. The paint was not a good design at all JMO. The show sucks.

Last edited by wr1970; September 15th, 2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify. I wasn't looking to offend anyone.
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:49 PM
MOTORHEAD

wow

hype and
*** munchy garbage

be proud of your heritage
worry about the future??

see you in the morning
Old September 15th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Senior Moment Member

Saw an interview with Richard. He knows what he's doing. It's all about the brand "Gas Monkey". He knows his show is junk food for the mind. 10 minute interview. Pretty good. He shows he's not full of himself and realizes life's a highway, drive it.

Old September 15th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Interesting Interview. He acts completely different off camera and provides some lucid points that most everyone will get. I just don't always agree with the design elements they present on the show though.

Thanks for the insight vid!
Old September 15th, 2015, 03:23 PM

He isn't a wrench it guy!He is i will pay someone to do it. His stuff isn't great! Lots of stuff he said he sold he didn't. I seen episodes where the cars sold were still there. They were in the back ground shots on a different car build. Lot of smoke a mirrors to promote the brand.
Old September 15th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Senior Moment Member

I was involved in the show "Pinks" a couple of times. The titles during the first year weren't the right titles to the cars and no one had any intention of giving their car away. That was settled from the get go. They lied to the audience. Drama, without it, no ratings, without ratings, no show.
Richard shows a much different side in this clip. Here he shows he knows the Gas Monkey show is part of a brand he worked to create from the start. It is a BRAND. It's not a car flip show. It's entertainment at best. Try to remember that. He seems like a really nice guy. I would have a beer with him for sure.
Old September 15th, 2015, 07:52 PM

I respect richard rawlings as a buisness man. He is briliant. he has found a way to make money on cars and is thriving.
Old September 16th, 2015, 05:49 AM
NOVICE car nut

Yes , he definitely made a name for himself . I respect that much ...... and I wish I had his money too . OK , maybe not HIS money but money in general .
Old October 4th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Car Whisperer

as a car guy, I watch to see anything I can learn on any of these shows. some I like better than others, but I still enjoy watching some of the stuff they do and then see what kind of prices they are able to get.
Old October 4th, 2015, 06:14 PM

You can find Richard's cars on Ebay. I was actually surprised. I thought he would have gone a different route marketing them.
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66

And here it sits gathering dust in my ex-boyfriend's garage. For 35k, it's a perfect place to hang my sweaters that I do not put in the dryer. Oh yeah, it's also a great place to throw the junk mail. HA!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jesse car.jpg (65.4 KB, 36 views)
Old April 11th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Maintained

Thats a very expensive paint job and stereo on a ~3k car.

Fortunate your able to get some use out of it.
Old April 11th, 2016, 12:31 PM

Now that's funny right there.I don't care who ya are.