General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fast N' Loud on the Discovery Channel

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2012, 05:19 PM

Fast N' Loud on the Discovery Channel

Who knows about the place they bought the 50 Olds? I assume it's in Texas because that's where the show's based. They mentioned the owner was an Oldsmobile guy and there were Olds parts & cars everywhere around the place.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/fast-n-l...ode-guide.html

Last edited by allyolds68; August 5th, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:27 PM

That car belonged to a long time friend and North Texas Olds Club member's father. He put a Facebook post up about it right before the show first aired.
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
That car belonged to a long time friend and North Texas Olds Club member's father. He put a Facebook post up about it right before the show first aired.
I bet he cried when they blew off rebuilding the 303. I haven't finished watching it & could really care less now. They talked about the great race heritage that Olds had in the early fifties and then proceeded to put the SBC crate engine into it
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:54 PM

That's what all of the flipper's do...yank a motor, and put in a crate engine. The car looked pretty good when they got done with the clear coat preserving the "patina" but I thought it was a cop out that they could buy a crate engine for cheaper than preserving the stock engine.
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:44 PM

The only things Fast and Loud is Richards Loud mouth and how Fast they pretend to build a car.
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:13 PM

I wonder about that too...how fast can you really build a whole car? Even if it's 4 guys it still takes a while.
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM

That show sucks, paid too much for the OLDS and then expected it to go to auction in a week after sitting for so long?? What aholes. Did not look bad with the patina but it was disappointing.... then a deep pocket idiot comes along and purchases the car cause it can smoke the tires with the Chubee crate engine in it... Those dudes are hacks and should not be on TV!
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

just fyi my user title has nothing to do with this show thank heavens!~

they make it look so easy when it's not that simple.
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Who knows about the place they bought the 50 Olds? I assume it's in Texas because that's where the show's based. They mentioned the owner was an Oldsmobile guy and there were Olds parts & cars everywhere around the place.
As I stated in the first post. I was more interested in the guy they bought it from than the show. I saw a number of Oldsmobiles as they were walking through the yard. There we also a bunch of Olds specific parts including one of those 73-76 Louvered hoods leaning against a building.

In a previous show where they rodded that 70 Lincoln there was a 70-72 Cutlass/442 at the body shop that flared the wheel wells on the Lincoln too.

The whole rat rod craze hasn't really caught on for me. I thought they paid way too much for an early 50's car. Even the Oldsmobiles don't seem to bring that much money until to get into the 55-57's
Old August 6th, 2012, 07:33 AM

After watching the show And seeing them do little or no work on a car. Making huge profits on a car that will need a total restore soon after it is sold. They hurt shops that do good builds because all the meatheads that watch the show will think all restorers work this way.
Old August 6th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Administrator

I agree, that's an unreality show. It would be more realistic if they were using logs as jack stands in someones back yard! What a bunch of goofy fellers!
Old August 6th, 2012, 08:46 AM

I'd had the unpleasure of meeting Richard and Arron in Dallas. They are as arrogont in person. As they are on tv. It's just a money thing for them. They are a slap in the face
of car people like us. They try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Just my 2cents.
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:45 AM
delete

On the flip side, they do show them making bad deals which is refreshing to see. I think they lost $6K bringing the gasser they built to auction.
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

something that is built in a week is bound to have issue's from body work right down to engine components and reliability. For one talk to any top of the line resto guy he will tell you body filler and primer need time to breathe expand and contract in diffrent weather changes other wise shrink lines from sand scratches will show up over time. This is why i avoid watching these dumb shows.
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:59 PM

You guys know all the new reality shows are fake. Don't believe anything you see on any of them. The same show had that junk Eldorado convertable restored for pennies. Where did that beautiful red factory interior come from ??. All for $4,000.00-Ya right.
It's all B/S.
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by kcars
The same show had that junk Eldorado convertable restored for pennies. Where did that beautiful red factory interior come from ??. All for $4,000.00-Ya right.
It's all B/S.
I actually thought $2000 for the interior and the top wasn't entirely unrealistic. I assume they either had a set of seats that came with the car or found a cheap core set. I really couldn't tell what they did with the door panels because those looked like junk too. I'm pretty sure those guys probably made it about 10 miles out of town before that motor crapped out though
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I've got some buds that was in episode 3 with the gassers and it is a reality show. Which means it is scripted and it is edited to suit the producers. Supposedly there is gonna be 26 episodes. I think the show stinks personally except for when my friends were on it. Here is a link from Denton (Northstar Dragway) from film day. Except for Dennis (Mokan Express), discovery channel was looking for burnouts to film. Dennis was part of the script and both cars had some problems that day which wasn't in the script. And of course gas monkey gasser's problem (trans) was edited in. Dennis said he loved the part where he towed Richard's gasser back to the pits with his golf cart. The whole shoot was a fiasco pretty much and Dennis even redlighted against Richard when they finally got to race and Richard had borrowed a hybrid
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:00 PM

It's hard for me to believe they do what they do and make any money. You see mostly $5,000 or less profit on each car they do...I'm sorry but you ain't getting rich that way. I'm sure they are compensated in some way by Discovery and the cars are provided for them to do. SOMETHING is made up, if not all of it. I can't say I don't watch it, but I do mostly to see what stupid crap they're gonna do to a car next.

I saw them bag a pristine Lincoln Mark 3...what turds.
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:20 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Oh yeah they are compensated, heck they even payed Herb $500 just to have his car on about a 3 second segment in the commercial for episode 3.
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

Where do these clowns come from? lol