Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Engine swap

Hey guys and gals, how's life today. Any ways just a thought I have about an engine. How hard would it be to install a 427 Rat in an olds, I know, I know but I've seen this engine and she is pushing ponnies, 725 of them,that girls got *****.lol Thanks for you feed back, I know there will be
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:41 PM

i have no idea?
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM

Hello,
I believe the main things are the Chevy motor mount towers for the family of car (A-body, G-body, etc) and a Chevy pattern tranny (or adapter). Then depending on what you are swapping from (small or big block) driveline lengthening or shortening, bigger radiator and other odds-n-ends.
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:12 PM

sounds like alot of work,would be better to keep it in a chevy
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle's 77 Cutlass
sounds like alot of work,would be better to keep it in a chevy
From personal experience - a lot less work than installing a BB Olds. I've done that twice before. I just finished installing a 468 BBC (514HP/583TQ) in my 67 Cutlass just in time for this years Hot Rod Power Tour. The BBC went in like it was installed from the factory. I did not need to drill/weld anything. The motor mount pads bolted up to existing holes. I had already install a 700R about two years ago, so no shorting of the drive shaft either. This Cutlass was made for a BBC from the factory. I've got more clearance between the upper arms now then I ever did with the BB Olds and headers.

The tear down was the last week of September 2010. My son and I finished the final tweaks (ie ps leaks) about 11:30 PM Friday night June 2. At 5AM on Saturday June 3 we headed to Coco Beach the start of the Power Tour. The engine had less than 300 miles on it when we left. Round trip from Coco Beach to Detroit for us was 3263 miles and not one problem with anything the whole tour. We where able to park with Dakota Digital in the vendor area at each stop. The car got plenty of exposure and honestly I never hear one negative comment about a BBC in the Olds. The Power Tour was the best time my son and I have ever experienced together.

I talked to one person on the HRPT, who turned out to be a Chicago cop, that blew the engine in his 68 Cutlass on the way to Coco Beach. He had the car towed back to a garage with instructions to find a 455 for it. But after seeing this swap he called the shop, while I was listening, told them he changed his mind and wanted a BBC. Now if he actually when through with it I don't know.

I had posted about doing this swap last summer and really ruffled a lot of feathers when I mentioned putting in a BBC. I originally wanted a 502, but found Mark Jones at VortecPro over on chevelles.com. He built the 468 for just under $5,200. I'm old school and believe in 'there is no substitute for cubic inches' ie 583lbs torque. The LS engines are great, but not what I wanted.

I was told I would be 'bastardizing' it. Well I don't think I did. Nothing half *** here. And for all you 'die hard' Olds guys - two weeks ago I took this car to the local Olds Club (Dixie Olds) car show. I got a trophy from them. If it's such a bad thing, then why the trophy.

Here is a list of everything my son and I did between September 2010 and June 2011.
  • Completely rewired the car using Painless wiring harness. I hid as many wires a possible.
  • Mounted the battery in the trunk
  • Removed the factory air and replaced it with Vintage Air. BTW the Vintage Air works much better than the factory air.
  • Installed new gas tank
  • Installed all new body mounts
  • Installed new 9 inch vacuum booster, brake proportioning valve, all new stainless steel lines and braided stainless steel flex lines.
  • Removed front clip, had core support, all front bumper brackets and wheel wells chemically striped and rust removed.
  • Clean up the firewall. I welded up 26 holes in it. Not trying for a 'smooth' firewall, just wanted it to look 'clean'
  • Custom stainless steel dash insert using Dakota Digital Analog VHX gauges.
  • Painted front frame and all under hood parts with SEM chassis black.
  • Legendary replacement seat upholstery for front and rear seats.
  • 1000w Kenwood amp with two 10 in sub-woofers.
  • March aluminum pulleys
  • New hood hinges.
  • UMI front upper and lower control arms
  • QA1 coilovers in front
  • UMI upper an lower trailing arms.
  • MSD ignition mounted under passenger seat
  • New idler arm and tie rod ends
  • Headmen ceramic coated headers
  • AlumnTech two inch core ALL aluminum radiator with dual electric fans
  • Stainless steel/flex transmission cooler lines
  • Rebuilt power steering gearbox
  • Replaced the worn out bellcrank throttle assembly with a Lokar cable throttle assembly for a 67 Chevelle. BTW a direct bolt in item. Even Lokar was not aware it would fit.
I just had my Cutlass professional appraised for insurance. Value is now just under $33,000 compared to the $7,200 appraised value before this rebuild. The appraiser did not have a problem with the 468 BBC. BTW I have nowhere near $33,000 invested in this. All work (except engine and interior seats) was done by myself and my son.

I have absolutely no regrets doing this and I'm extremely pleased with the outcome.

One last thing - the power this engine produces is awesome!

Here is what it looks like now:

Last edited by turnpike_cruiser; August 3rd, 2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:05 AM

Wow.....that is one very badass early Cutlass.

Nice work, and Congrats on the Power Tour long haul.
What radiator and electric fan combo is that ??

Also,
How do you like the Bowtie Overdrives Stage 3 700R4 ???
7 years ago I was debating between theirs and CK Performance.
I ended up going with CK Performance.

Originally Posted by Kyle's 77 Cutlass
How hard would it be to install a 427 Rat in an olds,
Not that hard at all considering the early Chevelle's, GTO's, Buick GS, and Cutlasses were all GM A-platform cars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_A_platform_%28RWD%29

As was said before, Chevy frame mounts and engine mounts.
Parts are cheaper and alot more abundant. Just depends on what you're after.
Originality, or go fast for less.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 4th, 2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Again, sweet ride!!! I'm going to start mine when the temps drop below 100 deg here!!! Hopefully soon!
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Wow.....that is one very badass early Cutlass.

Nice work, and Congrats on the Power Tour long haul.
What radiator and electric fan combo is that ??

Also,
How do you like the Bowtie Overdrives Stage 3 700R4 ???
7 years ago I was debating between theirs and CK Performance.
I ended up going with CK Performance.
The radiator fan combo is from Alumnitech www.chevellecooling.com

I've got about a total 7000 miles on the 700R. 4000 miles with BBC. It is everything I wanted in an automatic. Really nice quick/hard shifts and the shift points are right on with the BBC. I just put it in D (overdrive) and it does the rest. I haven't got any complaints on it.

BTW - my son an I are planning on long hauling the 2012 Hot Rod Power Tour. The HRPT is something every motorhead should attend just one. JMHO

One more thing - great signature:
Make it into what YOU want,
Not the way others want it to be.

Last edited by turnpike_cruiser; August 4th, 2011 at 06:27 AM. Reason: edit quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Again, sweet ride!!! I'm going to start mine when the temps drop below 100 deg here!!! Hopefully soon!
Understand - I'm fortunate enough to have a heated-air conditioned basement to work in.
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by turnpike_cruiser
BTW - my son an I are planning on long hauling the 2012 Hot Rod Power Tour. The HRPT is something every motorhead should attend just one. JMHO
Hey, I just might do the 2012 Power Tour with my LS powered 70 Cutlass if it comes close to Chicago again.
So be on the lookout. We'll have to meet up and do some asphalt abuse.

This was 2007 Hot Rod power tour with my LS1 powered 2nd gen Camaro.
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Hey, I just might do the 2012 Power Tour with my LS powered 70 Cutlass if it comes close to Chicago again.
How close are you to Detroit?

At the Long Haul party this year they announced the starting and ending cities for 2012.

Detroit to Dallas.

Is the LS engine in the Camaro the engine that's now in your Cutlass?
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:10 PM

I'm in the Chicago NW Suburbs.
Schaumburg area.

The LS1/4L60e is the Camaro's drivetrain.
I have an LY6/T-56 going into the Cutlass.