exhaust for 64/98

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2014, 03:30 AM

exhaust for 64/98

Ok, when I was driving my 98 home the day I bought it, it backfired and then got loud. Now that it is legal to drive, I was able to get under it in a safe location and find out where the exhaust blew out at. It would appear that the pipe that bolts to the exhaust manifold (I've always referred to it as a down pipe) has rotted away at the manifold. It doesn't look like there is much left of the pipe up there. And the muffler is swollen, like it was blown out as well. All that being said, the whole exhaust leaves a lot to be desired, since it was not installed with the best care and kinda looks hokey.

I was looking for a pretty much stock replacement exhaust and besides having someone bend up a pipe and install it, are there any options? Kanter has a listing on one, but the mild steel one is $750. I'd like to do it once and do it right, including factory type hangers in the correct locations (none of which are on the vehicle).

does anyone have any thoughts, and a picture or drawing of a single exhaust system on a 4dr 1964 Olds 98?

Thanks
Adam
Old April 5th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Scott at Classic Exhaust should be able to set you up with duals in aluminized steel for something like $350 shipped (he's also got stainless).
His mufflers are a bit louder than stock, in case that's important to you.

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2014, 05:01 AM

The factory shop manual may picture the exhaust system or you could see what www.wildaboutcars.com has in their Library.
Old April 5th, 2014, 09:32 AM

Adam, here is the FSM exhaust page for 63, the 64 should be the same. I would recommend finding a good muffler shop in your area and have them make up a system unless you really love cutting yourself on rusty metal and getting rust in you eyes. If you are staying with single exhaust I would duplicate the original with muffler and resonator, single loud exhaust just sounds like a blown muffler but that's my opinion.

Before you buy a new system you should check out why you had a backfire big enough to blow the old system, usually means the motor is running way too rich and raw gas builds up in the exhaust then pops. Would hate to damage a new system...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (34.6 KB, 30 views)
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Oldsdruid

Any good muffler shop should be able to bend either a single or dual system for you. To keep the true "Oldsmobile sound" you'll need resonators at the back as shown in above diagram under 38 & 39 series. The original type square ones are still fairly easy to find, or you can go with a universal round style. I've even known people to use a short glasspack as a resonator. Hey, GM itself did that on a lot of six-cylinder cars.

If you want duals, you need either a good used 63-4 LH manifold or one of Thornton's reproductions. Running duals without it jams the LH headpipe up in the starter and suspension and is, as you said, hokey.
Old April 6th, 2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Scott at Classic Exhaust should be able to set you up with duals in aluminized steel for something like $350 shipped (he's also got stainless).
His mufflers are a bit louder than stock, in case that's important to you.

- Eric
Eric-
Have you used this company for exhaust? They look to be more into my price range, and I'm looking for stock-type exhaust. I'm not concerned that their mufflers are louder than stock. They can't be much louder than the leak it has now. I would still probably use single exhaust though.

As for the blow out, it happened after driving for 5+ hours, and it seemed like the idle was a bit off, which it has been fixed since then. That was on the original trip home from Williamsport, PA to Kenton, DE, and I was about 5 minutes from home, decelerating to a stop. And honestly, the exhaust looks beat and hokey, so I'm sure it wasn't up to par anyway.

My only concern still is getting factory type hangers for it. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks
adam
Old April 6th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Adam, Yes I had Scott make me up an exhaust system about a year ago.
I think I must have hit him just right, because I called to get information and he quoted me about $350 for duals with a several week wait time, but then when I called back to order about two weeks later, he quoted me $325 shipped, and it was at my door either 2 or 3 days later.

Good quality stuff, thick pipe, and it fit right.

I couldn't be happier.

As for factory hangers, they may be available, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
You should be able to work out some aftermarket hangers just fine.

- Eric
Old April 19th, 2014, 05:09 AM

I just ordered a kit from ClassicExhaustinc.com, as per the recommendations here. I was hoping they would be at Carlilse next week to save on shipping, but no dice!

I'll make sure everyone knows how it goes!

Adam