1964(?) Ninety Eight Convertible question

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2012, 07:52 PM

1964(?) Ninety Eight Convertible question

Sorry, I know next to nothing about these big beauties but I saw one today at a shop that seemed really nice and I'm curious about the passenger exhaust manifold (I'm assuming it was a 394?). It appeared to have the engine mount incorporated into the exhaust manifold?? Also what appeared to be a front mount and nothing on the the driver's side where I would think would be the most important place to hold the torque back. Can someone 'clue me in' to this setup? Thanks.
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Oldsdruid

There's a front engine mount and then one on each side of the transmission bell. Those bolt to the trans crossmember. There is no rear transmission mount like 65- later cars.

What you're seeing on the passenger side manifold is the exhaust crossover. The LH pipe crosses under the engine and goes into the front of the PS manifold. The exhaust pipe connects to the rear of the manifold.

On a dual exhaust 61-64 big car, there is a gasketed triangular block-off plate for the front opening of the passenger manifold. 61-62 DE route the LH pipe up into the suspension and starter. 63-64 DE have a specific LH manifold that exits behind the steering gearbox.
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:50 AM

Ah, that makes more sense. One of the guys working on the car told me it was an engine mount - thanks for filling me in! The owner of the Ninety-Eight might want to reconsider who's working on his car!!

Last edited by mmurphy77; June 13th, 2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Oldsdruid

My guess is that the Ninety Eight in question is 15-20 years older than the guy working on it.

He needs to be careful with them if they pull a left front brake drum too, because I guarantee most mechanics nowadays do not know the speedometer drives off the LF wheel and that the cable has to be correctly indexed into the grease dust cap. If it isn't, two things will happen. 1) speedometer will barely work if at all, 2) if it isn't caught in time, the end of the cable will get chewed up and require replacement. 1964 Oldsmobile speedometer cables are not easy to find.

I've also seen mechanics unfamiliar with the speedo drive get the dust caps crossed side to side doing brakes or wheel bearing service. Only the LH cap has the cable drive.