The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

bleach in my gas tank

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:04 AM

I used to live in New England until I got smart and left in 92... That is where I had most of my run-ins... How about stealing a van and backing it into a nuclear submarine for wacko? yeah that happened in CT. They are probably still getting 3 squares, a bed and free medical...and all the Bubba they can stand for that brilliant stunt.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:25 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
... How about stealing a van and backing it into a nuclear submarine for wacko? yeah that happened in CT. They are probably still getting 3 squares, a bed and free medical...and all the Bubba they can stand for that brilliant stunt.
Peter DeMott was a devoutly Catholic anti-war activist who drove a shipyard van into a sub at Electric Boat in Groton in 1980 as an act of civil disobedience at an antinuclear rally. He served a minimal amount of time with "Bubba," was at a similar rally at EB in 1982, and spent many years at similar protests until 2009, when he died after falling out of a tree he was pruning on his property.

Highly publicized antinuclear civil disobedience protests at power plants and defense plants, which were common in the 1970s and 1980s, and which have become essentially nonexistent since we won the Cold War and the nuclear arms race, are not what I was talking about, and are certainly not relevant to the question of someone covertly vandalizing a private antique automobile parked in a public place.

- Eric
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:44 AM

Thumbs up bleach in my gas tank

i done what the guy down the street told mo to do. he is going to be 85 in august. he has been around the block a few times,and always working on something. the car ran crappy at first. after draining the kerosene / oil and replacing it with the mystery oil and 10w40 valvoline, the car started to smoothen out.i let it run about 25 minutes at an idle,then shut it down. i let it cool down and checked the oil, it was up to level and looked pretty good, and no sulfur smell. i took the car for a test drive, it ran good. i think the carb needs adjusted, but once it gets past that spot in the carb it runs good. thanks for all your help.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:50 AM

Grace sorry to hear this. It takes a pretty cowardly dude to attack a car! Not sure about the best way to counteract bleach but in the marine industry the best way to save an engine that gets submerged is to drain all the fluids and get it running as quickly as possible. I would flush the tank lines and carb. Change the oil and start that baby up. If it is running good take Dextron II transmission fluid and pour a little at a time in the carb as you hold the throttle to about 3000 rpm. It will white smoke like hell and all kinds of black stuff will come out the tail pipe but this will coat all the valve train and top of the pistons with oil and cleanse the cyl walls of bleach residue. Do not pour too much at a time or you will kill the engine. Sounds like it has been a couple of days since this has happened. I wouldn't wait too long to do this
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:59 AM

Check and change your fuel filter a lot. Bleach will rust metal overninght. It also will cause a grey oxidation on aluminum in just hours. That may be cause of carb issues. I'm pretty sure the carb can be cleaned out with a rebuild if it doesn't clear up itself.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:35 PM

This makes me sick... I had to get a locking gas cap after a belt deprived kid down the street put dirt and grass in my gas tank...

I caught the little troublemaker in the act... Well when I went down to have a talk with his mother, I was the one who got cussed out... How dare I accuse her son for doing such a thing... They run a christian house and *,#!-*,#!~... :/
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
Old School Olds

Change the oil AGAIN!
Change out the carb fuel filter again.
Don't put to many miles at all on
that 1st oil change. If you want zinc,
I use Vavoline 30 wt. racing oil available
from Napa. Spring and summer down here
anyway. Good stuff. And good luck with her.

Last edited by tru-blue 442; July 3rd, 2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: speln.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:31 PM

let us know how it turns out, and maybe we can get a sticky on the recipe when your done?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:40 PM

If you want zinc,
I use Vavoline 30 wt. racing oil available
from Napa.
You can alaso use Rotella T diesel engine oil. You can buy it at Sam's Club or Costco alot cheaper than buying individual quarts at an auto parts store. Rotella T is supposed to have alot of zinc in it as well.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:03 PM
Old School Olds

Olds 64, curious, what is the weight of the Rotella T?
Unfortunatly for me Austin is an hour away for me to Costco
and an hour and a half to Sam's.

However maybe I can get it by the gallon from Carquest. Hmmm.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM

I think the stuff I buy is 5W-40.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:10 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by Olds64
I think the stuff I buy is 5W-40.
Not to thin for Texas Summers?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Mr. Johnson

Yeah that sound like the caliber of people in Beach city to me. I use to hunt down there until my car window got smashed out to steal GPS out of the car while I was in the woods. The following week someone stole my tree stand. I caught the guy in the wood but brought a bow to a shotgun fight. and that was the last time I was down that way. I live in Massillon if you ever need some help PM me. Sorry about your luck.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:08 PM

the car appears to be doing ok. i do agree on changing the filters and oil sooner than i was told. i would rather be over cautious and spend a few bucks now, versus thousands on a rebuild. the hesitation is slowly going away, i dumped z max fuel treatment in today, it seems to be clearing itself up. thanks for all your input.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Grace Stinespring-Welch
the car appears to be doing ok. i do agree on changing the filters and oil sooner than i was told. i would rather be over cautious and spend a few bucks now, versus thousands on a rebuild. the hesitation is slowly going away, i dumped z max fuel treatment in today, it seems to be clearing itself up. thanks for all your input.
Glad it is working out for you. I hope you find out who the dirty rotten scoundrel was who did this. If you need me to get Guido and the boys with the lead pipes involved let me know. We will leave the culprits car alone but he may not fair as well as your car did.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:23 PM

i'll keep that in mind, if i find out who the low life is, may god have mercy on his soul, or not.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:47 PM
Administrator

i'll keep that in mind, if i find out who the low life is, may god have mercy on his soul, or not.

Glad it's fixed!
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Peter DeMott was a devoutly Catholic anti-war activist who drove a shipyard van into a sub at Electric Boat in Groton in 1980 as an act of civil disobedience at an antinuclear rally. He served a minimal amount of time with "Bubba," was at a similar rally at EB in 1982, and spent many years at similar protests until 2009, when he died after falling out of a tree he was pruning on his property.

Highly publicized antinuclear civil disobedience protests at power plants and defense plants, which were common in the 1970s and 1980s, and which have become essentially nonexistent since we won the Cold War and the nuclear arms race, are not what I was talking about, and are certainly not relevant to the question of someone covertly vandalizing a private antique automobile parked in a public place.

- Eric
I grew up in the 60's, 70's and early 80's in North Stonington (about 15 miles from Groton) but don't remember any of it. Probably because I was pretty liberal back then....before I started paying taxes, that is.....
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:50 PM

The first time I took my 64/88 to the gas station a woman driving a toyota battery operated toy scolded me for hurting her childrens future. I told her her opinion was not asked for......so just before putting the hose back into the pump I sprayed the ground with gas just behind the rear wheel...jumped in and slammed the pedal and smoked her...never felt better...could not see her face thru the smoke!
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:20 PM

my car is running almost perfect now, no hesitations at all. thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:12 PM

Wow!!! I sure am amazed this could actually happen. The reaction I have had from people while driving my older cars has always been positive - lots of nice comments and thumbs up,etc . I live in Michigan and there is strong automotive ties here but Ohio also has automotive ties. What redog experienced at the vet office is unreal!
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by navvet
..so just before putting the hose back into the pump I sprayed the ground with gas just behind the rear wheel...jumped in and slammed the pedal and smoked her...never felt better...could not see her face thru the smoke!
I love it!!!!

my car is running almost perfect now, no hesitations at all. thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.
Glad it is all fixed and running well. Hope you have a locking gas cap now!
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:25 AM

Grace, your idea to pull the engine is the right one . The bleach will have attacked all the bearings in the engine. I have unfortunately heard of this before, it's done to cause hurt to you and is a very effective way to ruin your engine. If you run it and further score the crank your just out more. I'd pull it down. You've got an enemy. I doubt it has anything to do with the environment.
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Old School Olds

^^^Just when I was thinking about adding
a cup or so to every 4 tanks...
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by 68RocketAction
...I had to get a locking gas cap after a belt deprived kid down the street...
That's funny right there
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:52 PM

i done what the guy down the street told mo to do. he is going to be 85 in august. he has been around the block a few times,and always working on something. the car ran crappy at first. after draining the kerosene / oil and replacing it with the mystery oil and 10w40 valvoline, the car started to smoothen out.i let it run about 25 minutes at an idle,then shut it down. i let it cool down and checked the oil, it was up to level and looked pretty good, and no sulfur smell. i took the car for a test drive, it ran good. i think the carb needs adjusted, but once it gets past that spot in the carb it runs good. thanks for all your help.
You did say 3quarts oil to 1 whole gallon of kerosene right. Idle 25 mins then change fluids again with 10w40. Could this work for a dodge ram 1500 v8 as well?!!! Please let me know
Old June 14th, 2014, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by redneckgreasechick
You did say 3quarts oil to 1 whole gallon of kerosene right. Idle 25 mins then change fluids again with 10w40. Could this work for a dodge ram 1500 v8 as well?!!! Please let me know
yes, that is what i done.only 2-3 minutes... i admit i got very lucky. it may work, depending on how long you drove your truck. don't let your truck run very long, the kerosene cleans and removes debris, if you hear it start making any noise, shut it down.

Last edited by Grace Stinespring-Welch; June 14th, 2014 at 07:05 AM.