The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

I have a Oldsmobile cutlass saw on TI have a Oldsmobile cutlass top five speed V8 260

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2017, 06:10 PM

I have a Oldsmobile cutlass saw on TI have a Oldsmobile cutlass top five speed V8 260

My name is Ray Verette that used to be my mothers car i used to drive it it's skip time and been sitting ever cents my mom received a card from my uncle in the early 80s and I have it with me in 2017 I don't know nothing about the car can someone please help 1976 Oldsmobile cutlass salon T tops say Hearst five speed manual transmission 260 v8
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site Ray. I don't understand your question. Are you asking about the car or how to fix it?
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:28 PM

Man that was a long sentence!
Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:38 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome... If I understand your request, you are asking about the engine jumping time... In other words a bad timing chain and gear...
Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:41 PM

I don't want to be rude, but man oh man, you've got to learn how to use punctuation so we can understand what you are saying!
Old March 23rd, 2017, 05:55 AM

Ray, if your Cutlass skipped teeth on the timing chain it probably doesn't run, or not very well. To correct it you will have to remove the fan, water pump, fuel pump, timing chain cover, etc. It's not a job for the faint of heart. Once you get everything removed you will have to install a new timing set and make sure the cam is timed properly to the crank. Let us know if you want specifics.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:30 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by Cutlass Fan
I don't want to be rude, but man oh man, you've got to learn how to use punctuation so we can understand what you are saying!

That is an understatement.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 11:33 AM

Welcome to the site Ray! It looks like you have a 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon with the 260 V8 engine and the five-speed manual transmission that used to belong to your mother. Sounds like a neat car that you might want to get up and running again. The folks on this site are exceptionally knowledgeable on all things Oldsmobile, so I'm sure they will be able to provide you with more information you might need to get that car up and running after you provide them with a little more background on why the car might not be running now.

I look forward to reading more on how your project progresses and I'm hoping you are able to get it running and back on the road soon.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 12:39 PM

Hey Ray...some information that might help include giving us an idea of your mechanical ability (are you going to do the work, or will you be finding a mechanic to do it?) and some information such as when the car was last running. If it has been sitting for years (since the early '80s without being driven?), it will need more than just the timing chain replaced.

Photos would help too.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 04:04 PM

Sorry about my first post, I was using speak text and it did not turn out so well. I have my mothers 1976 Oldsmobile cutlass salon two door, T top, five speed manual transmission 260 V8. I hear that it may be a rare combination. The last time I drove it was in 1995. It's skip time and I stop driving it with the intention of getting that fixed but have not driven it since. I would like to know if it is worth putting money into. Everything on it is all original,.. it says Hurst'' on the T tops. Thank you in advance for any information you can give me regarding this inquisition as I am trying to make a decision what to do with the car and it has sentimental and emotional value to me, in addition though I would like to know what it is worth to a collector of this particular car. Thank you again for your time.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 05:09 PM
Olds Fever

Since you presently have no major invested cost in the vehicle and there is sentimental value to you, I would suggest to repair the mechanical issues and drive it... The cost to replace the timing chain and gear is dependent on whether you can do the job or need a mechanic to do it for you... In either situation, a vehicle is much easier to sell if it is running and able to be test drove...
Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Your going to have to go through everything, gas tank, brakes, most rubber lines and hoses on top of changing the timing chain. If you farm all that out it can get expensive, it just depends on how much love you have for this car. And cash...
Old March 23rd, 2017, 08:28 PM

"Speak text" that explains it lol! Definitely a cool car. If you have even moderate mechanical ability and some decent tools don't be afraid of tackling the job yourself. We'll help you through the job.
Old March 24th, 2017, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Verette Verette
Sorry about my first post, I was using speak text and it did not turn out so well.
I have a fair amount of experience creating/customizing software so folks can interface with the software without a mouse or keyboard by hooking into the the voice-recognition framework built into the Windows operating system (Vista and forward).

Most of that experience is based on establishing a lexicon that the software is 'taught' to understand to carry out commands/actions, but sometimes dictation is also required.

In my experience a good quality microphone is critical to accuracy. Pretty much any microphone will work for lexicon-type work if 90%+ accuracy is the goal. A good headset microphone will generally get that closer to 99% accuracy. The headset is also important when audio feedback is provided in addition to visual feedback.

For dictation work a good headset microphone yields the highest accuracy.

You can access the built-in voice-recognition software through the Control Panel and then Ease of Access. It's best to start off slow so the software can more easily learn your speech. You can go faster as it learns more about how you speak.

All that said, for me, Siri on the iPhone is very accurate, and most my texts of more than two words are via Siri.
Old March 24th, 2017, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
In either situation, a vehicle is much easier to sell if it is running and able to be test drove...
x2

If the car doesn't run don't expect to get much for it. Even though it's a cool Cutlass with T-tops and a manual it's from the era of anemic smog motors.
Old March 24th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Getting the car running is not an issue to sell if the rest of it needs considerable attn, it still won't bring much.