The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

First foray into muscle cars

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2017, 07:10 AM

First foray into muscle cars

Hello all, looking forward to helping where I can and getting plenty of help from you guys. I'm a serviceable mechanic, but no expert so I know I'll be relying on this forum for help with the 1971 Supreme convertible I just picked up. I recently sold a TR6 I brought back to life, and am happy to get away from Lucas electric and finicky side-draft Hitachis - as well as to have a car that I can actually fit more than person and fit some stuff in the trunk (read, carpool kids and their equipment to practices).
Thanks in advance for your help. I'll be posting questions soon...
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats on your new toy.
Old March 7th, 2017, 09:53 AM

Welcome to the site. We look forward to seeing pics.
Old March 7th, 2017, 10:01 AM

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile and glad you gave up that Tinker Toy! ha ha. Actually my son has a Spitfire but is starting to see the light.... Very nice car and a conv too, cool.
Old March 7th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Administrator

British cars are for masochists. You have to love pain....
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:12 PM

Excellent choice for your first Olds! You'll be able to load a bunch o' kids and gear into it, especially if it has a front bench seat.
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:16 PM

Welcome aboard

Lucas= Prince of darkness

As a former owner, the day usually started like,

1] Turn key
2] listen for fuel pump
3] Open trunk
4] take off shoe and bang fuel pump

Return to step 1
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:04 AM

have a good day
Old March 9th, 2017, 08:00 AM

Welcome aboard, back in the day I raced a bug eye sprite and midgets. You would think I would remember the grief I had before I bought another. Your headed in a much better way.... Best of luck..... Tedd
Old March 9th, 2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks all, glad I have some folks to commiserate with on the LBC thing (little british car to those of you not previously cursed with one).
A few questions that I suppose are proper for this forum:
Any particular pros and cons of the various parts suppliers (yearone, opgi, etc)?
Where can I find exploded parts diagrams, preferably online and hopefully for the entire car?
Old March 9th, 2017, 01:00 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Welcome, shop around with prices most large parts have only one maker. Fusick is just an olds supplier and one of the better ones. Get the service manual and buy an original. With a convertible look at a getting chassis manual too. I also got an assembly manual not sure it was worth it. My.02 from another 71 convertible owner.
Old March 9th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Welcome, shop around with prices most large parts have only one maker. Fusick is just an olds supplier and one of the better ones. Get the service manual and buy an original. With a convertible look at a getting chassis manual too. I also got an assembly manual not sure it was worth it. My.02 from another 71 convertible owner.
I think what you meant to say was with a convertible, also get the Fisher Body Manual. The CSM covers the mechanical and electrical parts of the basic car. The FBM covers the doors, roof, trunk, glass, and interior items. You need both. The Assembly Manual (technically, the Product Information Manual) is a collection of factory assembly drawings and useful for correctly reassembling but not that useful for maintenance and repair.

Also, while the Supreme Convertible is a fun car and great looking, it really isn't a "muscle car", at least not with a 350/TH350 drivetrain. Unfortunately, these days sellers call every American car from the early 60s to the mid 70s with a V8 a "muscle car", which makes people think real muscle cars weren't that quick. The 442 (at least prior to 1972) was a muscle car. A Supreme SX with a 455 can be considered a muscle car (really it was a 442 in disguise). A Cutlass with a run of the mill drivetrain and suspension is a cruiser. The Supreme was really the luxury car version of the Cutlass. Good luck and have fun with it.
Old March 9th, 2017, 06:17 PM

A friend of mine had an MG for sale,gave me a test RIDE. The truck in front of us stopped fast and we slid right up to the crash bar of the trailer. I passed on that one. Drawers were clean but easily could have gone south.Never looked back. LOTS of metal is your friend.
Old March 10th, 2017, 06:33 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I think what you meant to saw was with a convertible, also get the Fisher Body Manual. The CSM covers the mechanical and electrical parts of the basic car. The FBM covers the doors, roof, trunk, glass, and interior items. You need both. The Assembly Manual (technically, the Product Information Manual) is a collection of factory assembly drawings and useful for correctly reassembling but not that useful for maintenance and repair.

Also, while the Supreme Convertible is a fun car and great looking, it really isn't a "muscle car", at least not with a 350/TH350 drivetrain. Unfortunately, these days sellers call every American car from the early 60s to the mid 70s with a V8 a "muscle car", which makes people think real muscle cars weren't that quick. The 442 (at least prior to 1972) was a muscle car. A Supreme SX with a 455 can be considered a muscle car (really it was a 442 in disguise). A Cutlass with a run of the mill drivetrain and suspension is a cruiser. The Supreme was really the luxury car version of the Cutlass. Good luck and have fun with it.
Thanks Joe I was at work and couldn't remember the name of the second manual.

Again good luck with your car and enjoy
Old March 10th, 2017, 10:08 AM

So no particular place to find exploded parts diagrams, then?
Old March 10th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sheltonoil
So no particular place to find exploded parts diagrams, then?
The factory parts and illustrations book, though you won't find an exploded diagram for every single year and model. What exactly are you looking for?

Here's a link to the Jan 1972 printing of the parts and illustrations manual:

http://www.t.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=90628

Here's the matching parts book with the actual part numbers.

http://www.t.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=89287

Be warned that these on-line resources are NOT user-friendly. There is no easy way to jump from section to section short of page-by-page slogging through the document.
Old March 10th, 2017, 11:16 AM

Thank you.