The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

53 oil pan removal

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2017, 05:29 AM

53 oil pan removal

Does the engine need to be lifted to remove oil pan on 53 303 cu"? Have both exhaust pipes disconnected from manifolds but not removed. Did not want to cut pipes if I still have to lift block. Crossover pipe is under pan only gained about 1 inch clearance with pipes loose.
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:53 AM

I don't know about a 53 but a 55 is almost impossible (probably impossible) to lift the motor up high enough to allow you to completely remove the pan. The rear main was replaced in my car by rotating the pan as far as it could towards the drivers side and work on the lower end that way.This is a very tight procedure and I could not do it myself, a friend who is half Hounidi got the job done but said never again. What are you trying to do under there?.... Tedd
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:04 AM

Smile '53 Olds oil pan Removal

I am not specifically sure about th '53,but on several years of Olds mid fifties it was necessary to Jack the engine up for the oil pan to be removed. It wasn't difficult because we had a mechanic that would start at 7:00A.M.,drop the pan, replace the rings ,polish in the valves,replace the valve lifters, put it back together, and drive it to pick his wife up from work at 4:00 P.M..If I was available,I would polish In the valves and clean the Pistons and the oil pan.
But if I was in school he could do it anyway. If I am not mistaken he jacked up the engine from the driver's side only. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; January 16th, 2017 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Add
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:44 AM

Oil pan gasket was leaking bad and wanted to check/clean what I could with pan removed. Thanks
Old January 17th, 2017, 02:01 PM

Cool 53 303 cu" oil pan

Found detailed instructions in shop Manuel. #1) remove starter motor. #2) remove exhaust crossover pipe. #3 Drop steering relay rod by disconnecting idler arm support from frame. #4 remove pan.

Always use new gaskets and seals. Cement gaskets to pan and apply synthetic rubber seals front and rear. Coat exposed surfaces of the seals with graphite grease to prevent hang up on front engine cover and rear main bearings. Tighten evenly and torque 9-11 ft lbs.

Other than haveing to cut exhaust pipe after connection to newer pipe, it was not that hard. All the grease from steering was the worst part.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hope this will help in future! Bill