The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Power window and convertible top issue with '53 Starfire ragtop

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2017, 07:51 AM
53Olds98

Power window and convertible top issue with '53 Starfire ragtop

About a year ago, I acquired a rotisserie- restored '53 98 Convertible. The former owner did a beautiful job , everything restored/replaced job using NOS and the best replica parts and materials. The drive train was completely overhauled. A new factory-correct leather interior and vinyl top finished the car to showroom condition. For the past year, this car has been in a climate-controlled storage facility with other cars in my collection. It was started on a monthly basis and driven very lightly. I normally keep the top and windows up, but last week tried to raise the front passenger-side power window that seemed to have lowered itself. It sounded like it was trying to go up, but would only go down, then only partially raise itself when pressing the switch up. To go along with this, the convertible top has stopped working. It was fine at the time I purchased it and lowered and raised back up only 6 months ago. There is a hydraulic motor sound somewhere in the front right fender area when the window or top motor switches are being activated. It sounds like the hydraulic fluid is maybe low?I had my "classic mechanic" look into it but after he heard the sound (I've described) and looking inside the fender area under the hood could not find the reservoir to add fluid - if that's part of the problem. Can anyone suggest what may be causing this and if there's a reservoir that needs to be checked? I appreciate any help? Thanks from a newbie.

Last edited by 53olds98; January 17th, 2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old January 13th, 2017, 08:24 AM

On a 55 the reservoir and filler is located behind the back seat under the top boot cover, should be the same for a 53 I would think.

Double check for a leak somewhere because fluid doesn't just evaporate and get low, it goes somewhere, usually on your carpet in the back seat floor area.... Tedd
Old January 13th, 2017, 08:29 AM
53Olds98

Response appreciated - any other ideas out there?

Ted,
Thanks for your suggestion and where to look. I'll check it out early next week when I'm with the car again.
Old January 13th, 2017, 09:22 AM

By '55 they had electric windows and the top pump/reservoir was moved behind the back seat. In '53 the windows and top (and seat, I believe) were hydraulic, run off of the pump reservoir on the firewall down under the fender. If only the one window lowered itself, it sounds like you've got a hydraulic leak in the circuit. Maybe the cylinder in that door is bad. Or maybe there is a bad connection at the spider under the front seat. It lost enough fluid that there is no longer enough to allow the top cylinders to raise the top.

The hydraulic windows operate by filling the cylinder to raise the window. The filling cylinder works against a huge spring. Pushing the window switch down opens a valve allowing fluid to exit. The spring pulls the window down, forcing fluid back into the reservoir. Releasing the button closes the valve and stops the spring from contracting any further. So you've got a leak and the spring contracted and forced the fluid from the cylinder - somewhere. Hope they didn't use brake fluid like they did back in '53. You don't see fluid anywhere?
Old January 13th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Are you sure you have a 53 Starfire. The only Starfires in 1953 were concept cars and would be very rare if any survived. The Fiesta was available in 1953 only and is a very rare car. The Starfire started in 1954 and was the Olds 98 convertible. In any event, the top, power windows and seat were all run off a single hydraulic pump. I have always thought the pump was inside the left front wheelwell. I may be wrong on that. My suggestion is to purchase an original shop manual off ebay. Be sure and get an original and not a CD or reproduction. I am guessing the reservoir is built into the pump. As mentioned above, I hope they did not use brakefluid in the system because it will eat paint up in a hurry. Sounds like a very nice car and we would love to see some pictures of it. Good luck.
Old January 13th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I am guessing the reservoir is built into the pump.
Though I am not familiar with Oldsmobiles of this era, other cars I have seen with hydraulic systems have a pump/reservoir assembly that looks a bit like a 1-gallon paint can (the reservoir) with a starter motor on top of it (the pump), often with a relay attached to the side of the motor.

If you find it, you can't miss it.

- Eric
Old January 13th, 2017, 01:20 PM

Here is a link to a 20 page document explaining the Hydro-Lectric system as used on Oldsmobiles. Operations, diagnosis, etc.

http://www.antiqueolds.org/PDF/hydro-electric.pdf
Old January 13th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thank you for reminding me of the name of the system, OldsFan.

I mis-remembered the size of the unit. The reservoir is the size of a quart paint can, not a gallon, but the starter motor is still a starter motor:

Here is some more information on the system:

http://www.1949cadillac.com/the-infa...system-part-i/

http://www.1949cadillac.com/the-infa...ystem-part-ii/

http://www.bessythebuick.com/project...l-pump-rebuild

And here is a link to the manual for the system as used on a '51 Olds:

http://oldcarmanualproject.com/manua...onv.%20Top.pdf

Good luck!

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; January 13th, 2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old January 16th, 2017, 11:43 PM
53Olds98

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Are you sure you have a 53 Starfire. The only Starfires in 1953 were concept cars and would be very rare if any survived. The Fiesta was available in 1953 only and is a very rare car. The Starfire started in 1954 and was the Olds 98 convertible. In any event, the top, power windows and seat were all run off a single hydraulic pump. I have always thought the pump was inside the left front wheelwell. I may be wrong on that. My suggestion is to purchase an original shop manual off ebay. Be sure and get an original and not a CD or reproduction. I am guessing the reservoir is built into the pump. As mentioned above, I hope they did not use brakefluid in the system because it will eat paint up in a hurry. Sounds like a very nice car and we would love to see some pictures of it. Good luck.
Old January 16th, 2017, 11:52 PM
53Olds98

Hi RedOldsFan,
How right you are about the year (1954) Olds introduced the Starfire into the model 98 lineup. Thanks! Great tip on where to get the real documentation, too. I'm sure I'll have my hydraulics in proper working order. Do you or anyone out there happen to know if the Olds Club has fellow members who are Tech Support "experts" who could weigh in, too?
Old January 16th, 2017, 11:56 PM
53Olds98

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
Here is a link to a 20 page document explaining the Hydro-Lectric system as used on Oldsmobiles. Operations, diagnosis, etc.

http://www.antiqueolds.org/PDF/hydro-electric.pdf
Old January 16th, 2017, 11:58 PM
53Olds98

Hi Oldsfan,
That link was like a beam of light on the subject. Many thanks for your knowledge and thoughtfulness.
Old January 18th, 2017, 07:01 AM
53Olds98

Hi Oldsfan,
Do you know what type of Hydraulic fluid (brand name of product and manufacturer). and is it available at local auto supply stores? My classic car mechanic is not available and I'm showing the car this weekend at an event and truly need my top and windows to work.
Thanks very much.
Old January 19th, 2017, 09:04 AM

No, I'm sorry, I don't. Do you know what the system has in it now? That's probably what you should replace it with. I don't know that it is good to mix fluids.
Old January 19th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You should be able to use Dexron ATF. DO NOT use brake fluid since it will eat paint upon contact.
Old January 20th, 2017, 05:47 PM

But first find out which fluid is in there now. The original fluid was most likely brake fluid but things get changed over the year and ATF is the preferred fluid now and used in all of the new systems. If brake fluid is in the system a complete flush is in order.... Tedd
Old January 20th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good point Tedd. But since the car has had a complete restoration I would hope they went back with ATF and not brake fluid.