The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Went to Carisle PA Car show and brought home one

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
We'll have a thread about, say, the motor mounts for a 68 Cutlass. About six posts in, someone asks a question about motor mounts for a 63 D88. Completely different car (especially if the original thread is in the Cutlass sub-forum) and not germane to the original question.
Aha! I couldn't disagree more! Oral conversations take turns this way and that all the time. Why shouldn't written ones?

And, in your example (which actually undermines your point, by the way), the new question was still about motor mounts, wasn't it? Seems very germane to me, even if it is a different car. It's still an Olds. It's still a motor mount. I could see your point if, say, the new question was about what's the best oil filter or something like that. But most turns in a thread spin off of something original to the thread and are not at all irrelevant. And then, the tangent conversation usually comes to a stop relatively quickly unless someone comes along and starts talking about how the thread has been hijacked.

Just how precisely do we have to stay within the bounds of the initial conversation? A conversation is a conversation, isn't it! We're not straight-jacketed here! Show me the rules!

Last edited by jaunty75; May 15th, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Aha! I couldn't disagree more! Oral conversations take turns this way and that all the time. Why shouldn't written ones?

And, in your example (which actually undermines your point, by the way), the new question was still about motor mounts, wasn't it? Seems very germane to me, even if it is a different car. It's still an Olds. It's still a motor mount. I could see your point if, say, the new question was about what's the best oil filter or something like that. But most turns in a thread spin off of something original to the thread and are not at all irrelevant. And then, the tangent conversation usually comes to a stop relatively quickly unless someone comes along and starts talking about how the thread has been hijacked.

Just how precisely do we have to stay within the bounds of the initial conversation? A conversation is a conversation, isn't it! We're not straight-jacketed here! Show me the rules!
So imagine you're a brand new member to this forum who asks a simple question in your first post, only to have the thread derailed twice. How do you feel? Again, I'm trying to show new members that we really do want them to remain members.
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Aha! I couldn't disagree more!
Once again, I can't resist adding this:

Old May 15th, 2013, 01:43 PM

You guys can't get rid of me that quick. The more I read the more I will learn about my car and your cars as honestly I know very little in general about specifics of cars. I know what I like but there is 99.9% I don't know about my car and other classics out there so bring it all on.

I did just bring it in for a mysterious new noise and I have 4 guys stumped so I am bringing it in Friday to do a test drive with one of them. It is not mechanical, not the engine, something loose and they put it up and nothing is loose. Damn it looks good under there though.
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:04 PM

So imagine you're a brand new member to this forum who asks a simple question in your first post, only to have the thread derailed twice. How do you feel? Again, I'm trying to show new members that we really do want them to remain members.
First of all, did she not get her question answered? I've never seen a thread that has supposedly been hijacked where the OP hadn't already had his/her question answered by the time the conversation took a turn. And such thing has never prevented the conversation from being turned back.

Second, has the OP herself complained? I've never seen a complaint about a thread being hijacked that has actually come from the person who started the thread, and not all threads that supposedly get hijacked are started by new people who might be hesitant to complain. I've never seen an OP say that they're offended and don't plan to come back.

It seems that there is a group of people on here who take it upon themselves to be offended for the person who started the thread and feel it necessary to apologize for a slight that was never intended nor received.

Witness:

Originally Posted by justagirl
You guys can't get rid of me that quick. The more I read the more I will learn about my car and your cars as honestly I know very little in general about specifics of cars. I know what I like but there is 99.9% I don't know about my car and other classics out there so bring it all on.
Don't know about you, but it looks to me that this lady is not only not offended that the conversation in the thread she started took a turn, but that she's actually pleased that it did so and is learning more from the conversation as it ensued.

Last edited by jaunty75; May 15th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:28 PM

What if the OP derails the thread herself - there is that to argue as well (hee he). But seriously I got my answer and of course then some so thank you again. So to go further I said I would not obsess about the body/paint condition but I keep going back there; she is my daily driver and if I "improve" her body condition I will never want to drive it out of my driveway. I have waves, dings, some type of dimple effect (whatever that is called), and a small bit of rust. She looks good from afar so what do they say "a 10 footer" or something along those lines?

DSC02214.jpg

DSC02215.jpg

DSC02210.jpg
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:35 PM

Here is the cowl tag; I am not sure how to type it out?

DSC02212.jpg

DSC02213.jpg
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Administrator

I think what Joe is trying to express is forum etiquette and I agree. There are times when a person will jump in with a question about their car whereas with a bit of common courtesy, they should have started their own thread. Also I agree it's up to the OP and the participants to keep the conversation on track.
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:40 PM

I have waves, dings, some type of dimple effect (whatever that is called), and a small bit of rust. She looks good from afar so what do they say "a 10 footer" or something along those lines?

Attachment 68796

Attachment 68797

Attachment 68798
At Carlisle I did not see under the hood, it looks nice and pretty much unmolested from original. The engine appears to be a low compression 330 as it has the black and not orange air cleaner. Someone has spliced in a fuel filter in the fuel line. Originally there was only one in the inlet of the carb. The unevenness in the paint is called orange peel. I did see the few imperfections in the body and the poor fitting piece of chrome on the quarter but still thought it to be a nice car. It appears also someone added the extra thin molding to protect from door dings. If you make it perfect yes you wont want to drive it...maybe someday it will be your choice but first get to know the car and have fun with it!
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:47 PM

Here is the cowl tag; I am not sure how to type it out?
With those two photos, the entire thing is visible. Always much better to post a photo than to try to copy it as mistakes are often made in reading the stampings.

Others will likely reply soon with the full decode. The only thing I can say is that the 05D is the date-built code and means 4th week (D) of May (5), so your car was assembled in late May 1967.
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:00 PM

Very simple (and yes, this is another hijack that's my fault - sorry ). We'll have a thread about, say, the motor mounts for a 68 Cutlass. About six posts in, someone asks a question about motor mounts for a 63 D88. Completely different car (especially if the original thread is in the Cutlass sub-forum) and not germane to the original question.
not germane to the original question. [/QUOTE]

from Jackie Gleason (aka Sheriff Buford T Justice) of Smokey and the Bandit fame

The goldarn Germans got nothing to do with this....

Ok, y'all can continue the hijack.
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:06 PM

Interesting about the fuel filter; I think it is backwards too (can't tell from the pic), and I did see some of the imperfections in the body but I keep finding more! It is funny as soon as I see a car with wave I walk away and I just can't see how this one really kept me hanging on.

What did you like at Carlisle in the coralr?

Last edited by justagirl; May 15th, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:24 PM

What did you like at Carlisle in the coralr?
Always fun to look at the car coral....yes your 67 caught my eye and I did look it over good, I am partial to 67 A bodies. I saw few Oldsmobiles there for sale as usual.
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:12 PM

Come on Oldsmaniac give me the good, the bad and the ugly on my car...I can take it. I am good with what is under the hood but want to know your thoughts on what I should do with the body? Yup just drive it that is what everyone is saying but I got this nagging at my gut...
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM

Come on Oldsmaniac give me the good, the bad and the ugly on my car...I can take it. I am good with what is under the hood but want to know your thoughts on what I should do with the body? Yup just drive it that is what everyone is saying but I got this nagging at my gut...
Well the sky is the limit, it appears to be a nice solid unmolested car. I was there with a buddy who also is nuts over these cars. We looked it over pretty well. If I remember it had a console, buckets and the factory SS1 mag wheels. All are very desirable. If I remember too the chrome was pretty nice but we were disappointed in some of the fit of the chrome and the paint and additional side moldings. To fix properly the whole car (body) prob needs to be redone and then you can fix hidden problems that come when you start pulling things apart. Its your choice as to what you can live with and how soon you want things to get done.... I would not be in a hurry. If its something that has to be done you could start lining up a painter and getting prices, you may be shocked at what your hear. You also would need to decide on the finish. Factory paint was lacquer. In my opinion the base clear system I see on some restored cars is just too shiny and deep. Your car your decision and no-one is judging you. A car is what it is and what appearance it has is your choice.
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM

Talking

It is not mechanical, not the engine, something loose and they put it up and nothing is loose.

Must be the nut behind the wheel
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:03 PM

That cheered me up ELY442...my female emotions are acting up. No I can take what you said Oldsmaniac and greatly appreciate the honesty but I am disappointed in myself as I did let emotion get involved with the purchase. How can a car look the part but yet I "settled" on something that would cause me anxiety later on? I think I am being to much of a female now...lol

Last edited by justagirl; May 15th, 2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: edited b/c I can't spell
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:27 PM

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]until I laid my eyes on her. She is my daily driver, not a perfect car but perfect for me.
I think you said it right in the first post...... for now.
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:56 PM

Looks like a very nice find. I am sure you will have a lot of un with that one. welcome to the site.
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Administrator

You have, and we all agree a very nice driver quality car with a lot of potential. I don't know what you paid for it, nor it's current mechanical state. I will say mine looked a whole lot worse than yours when I bought it and it's a very nice car that I drive everyday.

Take ownership and make it what you want.
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:38 PM

That cheered me up ELY442...my female emotions are acting up. No I can take what you said Oldsmaniac and greatly appreciate the honesty but I am disappointed in myself as I did let emotion get involved with the purchase. How can a car look the part but yet I "settled" on something that would cause me anxiety later on? I think I am being to much of a female now...lol
You say you're being "female"...sounds more like a "car guy" to me. The more you're going over your "new" car, the more you're tearing it apart. I believe it's called "buyer's remorse". You're second-guessing yourself. I do the same thing with my 442 I just got last year. "This is incorrect", "This doesn't line up", "Look at these chips!", "What was I thinking buying this car?!?" I was thinking what I KNOW...it's an awesome car that I'm lucky to have!
Your car looks awesome!! It's a very nice, clean '67 Cutlass Supreme. I assure you, you drive that sucker into a local show, or even the local food store lot, there will be plenty of people coming to take a look. The only 1 who will see all these "imperfections" you claim will be yourself....everyone else will be jealous!

Welcome to the site and ENJOY your new ride!
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Hi and welcome!

We all notice more and more imperfections and problems as we spend more time with our new cars - same thing as when spending time with a new mate: In the beginning everything seems perfect, but in short order the problems begin to show themselves, then after a while, you're putting up another ad on Cragslist .

- Eric
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:34 AM

All very true guys and thank you again. I do love her and I probably spent 3 mins in total going over her body in the car corral (my bad) but I was on such a bloody mission to find a car. Not an excuse and I live in learn. I think next year it will be different as I will be a spectator only and may try the Hershey car show instead. Getting back to my car I am lucky to have her and folks have approached and it is humbling as I know not everyone can own a classic like this. So I will drive her until Oct/Nov and then consider maybe putting a little $$ into her for some body work. I know I will never get what I put into her if I sell her but I will get satisfaction with some of her imperfections fixed and that is what I must keep as my goal at the end of the day.

I paid 8k for her, I wanted her for 7k, but he was turning down the 7.5k offers, so I said to myself "I am not going to lose her for 500.00". It is only money right...sigh.
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It is only money right...sigh.
Spoken like a true car nut.

- Eric
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:20 AM
KDV

Welcome aboard justagirl and congrats on your Cutlass!
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Spoken like a true car nut.

- Eric
lol - I am like an addict now as I can't stop looking at the fusick's catalog and what to do next. Where does one begin! I think the dash maybe something I can handle.
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Now thats the spirit, roll up your sleeves and get in there!
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The dash is good.

Personally, if everything is running well, I like to start on the dash because its the one thing I see every minute that I'm driving.
Who cares what the outside looks like? You can't see it when you're in the car!

- Eric
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:09 AM

I like that Eric...immediate gratification for sure. I got a thumbs up from a guy today when I was at the D&D drive-thru. I will bring her to my first car night next Monday so that should be fun! Also want to add gage(s) to under the dash for temp and oil as I feel very much in the dark with those "idiot" lights or am I going too far?

Last edited by justagirl; May 16th, 2013 at 09:13 AM. Reason: missed one item
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:35 AM

I would not worry about gauges for a cruiser since there are no high performance mods. Oil pressure should be fine and with a good radiator the car should not run hot.
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:04 AM

lol - I am like an addict now as I can't stop looking at the fusick's catalog and what to do next. Where does one begin! I think the dash maybe something I can handle.

Thanks for mentioning Fusicks... just downloaded their catalog.

Been a Cutlass owner for 3 days and I understand the addiction too....
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:07 AM

Very good looking Olds Best of luck Steve
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:25 AM

Welcome aboard

Having gone over board on more than one occassion, I'm begining to like Joe's saying "If it runs,it's done"
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:34 AM

lol - I am like an addict now as I can't stop looking at the fusick's catalog and what to do next.
As many will tell you, Fusick is the gold standard when it comes to Oldsmobile parts. They've been in business for many years and have a stellar reputation.

However, all of this comes at a cost as Fusick's prices tend to be like they're selling gold. They tend to be at or near the top end of the price scale on most everything. Before purchasing from there, shop around. Many things they sell are unique to them as they have them specially reproduced. But many other things they sell are made by others and are being resold by them. Those are the items that you will probably save money on, sometimes lots of money, by shopping around.

Last fall I purchased a bunch of parts, mostly rubber weatherstripping and other rubber parts, for my '67 Delta. Here's just a few examples of the price differences I found.

Hood insulation pad:
Fusick part no. HI 670, $49.50
Rubber-the-Right-Way part no. 04-059E, $24.50

Yes, that's HALF price, and the RTRW part included the clips that I would have had to pay extra for with Fusick. It fit fine and looks just fine.

Front Door weatherstrip, pair:
Fusick part no. DW67BC, $89.50
Rockauto part no. LM 21-I, $64.79

That's a 27% savings.

Door window seal, pair:
Fusic part no. BP939, $43.50
Rockauto part no. ALP 5053, $16.86

That's a 61% savings.

Trunk lid weatherstripping:
Fusick sells this at $2 per foot, and 18 feet are needed for my car. Price: $36.00
Rockauto part no. TK 46-18, $11.97

Rockauto's price is less than 1/3 Fusick's, a 67% savings.

I could go on, but the point is obvious. For items where Fusick is not the sole vendor, shop around. Yes, if you order from too many different places, you end up paying lots of shipping charges, but the savings can be so dramatic in some cases that's it's worth paying for shipping from several vendors. Plus, if you limit yourself to two or three vendors instead of ordering ten different things from ten different vendors, it can be well worth it. Rockauto, which I quoted above, is another vendor with a good reputation, and Rubber the Right Way did well by me also.

The one other tiny gripe I have with Fusick is that they have a minimum purchase of $25. You want just a couple of, say, decals, that cost $10 total or perhaps an extra clip or two to finish a job and that might cost you $5.00? Forget it. A few times I've needed something small and ended up ordering a few other things out of the catalog just to get the total to $25 while grumbling to myself the whole time.

http://www.rubbertherightway.com/

http://www.rockauto.com/
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:35 AM

welcome, great looking car, just enjoy it as is and work on the little things for now. They say even when purchasing a home you should live in it a while to feel it out before you start renovations, this way you learn how to make things flow, such as the kitchen.

My car just went through a restoration and everyday I'm tweaking something or seeing something new. At first it was infuriating, then it became a frustration now its just part of the enjoyment of the car - its a cruiser and I enjoy tinkering with it.
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:41 AM
delete

IMO, since you said you plan on driving it, get used to it for a while & see what bother you & what doesn't. Enjoy it as is. Make sure all the mechanicals are in order. Some guys get all gassed up that every car has to be a 1,000 pt resto but that isn't the case. There is room for drivers & modified cars.
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I agree with Joe that gauges aren't a priority, though I do like having them and I won't argue against them.

If I were going to pick one interior thing to do, once I got all lights and features working, it would be to install the right stereo.

- Eric
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:55 AM

I am allowed to change my mind being a woman right...? So I just called my ever so trusty and wise mechanic and we had a come to jesus talk about the body work. As you all said drive it, love it, and think about if you want to do more for her. He confirmed that a complete strip down, see what and if there is something under the bad paint job, then repaint is what is needed. I am trying to justify would I do it even if I could do it? She is special to me but she is not a 442 or other hughly desirable year although I do not see 67's on the road often or really at all.
Old May 16th, 2013, 11:31 AM

Rule of thumb

Estimate X 3.5 + MAW = total cost
Old May 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Isn't it actually:

(Estimate + MAW) x 3.5 = total cost ?

- Eric

Quick Reply: Went to Carisle PA Car show and brought home one