The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newby Belen NM a 72 Toro just followed me home

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2013, 07:11 AM

Newby Belen NM a 72 Toro just followed me home

I've been a 70 tbird guy for years. had a 74 Eldo 100 years ago and this sweet Toro came into my life on tues. 54k on the clock and from orig owners son.
He put a new fuel sender in it and it shows 1/2 full with key out and he says at 1/2 when running its EMPTY! He thinks the sender it self needs adjusted but I am not too sure about that and really dont want to drop the tank!
Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:19 AM

Welcome Alan, and congrats, dont know much about the toro, as I have a 61 super 88, but hey, we are neighbors, I live in Silver City NM.
Old August 21st, 2013, 09:49 AM

welcome, take some pics, check all your grounds and connections
Old August 21st, 2013, 09:49 AM

Welcome to CO! I am sure others will chime in on the fuel gauge issue but I wanted to let you know pics are a must!
Old August 21st, 2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by AlanT
He put a new fuel sender in it and it shows 1/2 full with key out and he says at 1/2 when running its EMPTY! He thinks the sender it self needs adjusted but I am not too sure about that and really dont want to drop the tank!
It sounds like your gauge is disconnected, although it's hard to be sure, because it also sounds like there is no power running through it at all.

The standard test is to disconnect the wire coming from the sending unit at the rear of the car from the wire coming from the gauge. There is usually a connector you can pull apart in the area behind the center of the rear bumper.

When you get this wire apart, ground the side coming from the gauge and turn the key ON. The gauge should immediately go to E and stay there. Remove the wire from ground, and the gauge should immediately go to F or probably well past it. The sending unit is just a variable resistor where 0 ohms is empty and 90 ohms is full. By removing the wire from ground, you're imposing infinite resistance, so that's why it might it move above F.

If the gauge does these things, then it is fine. If not, then you need to check the wiring at the gauge itself behind the dash.

If the gauge checks out, the next step is to check the ground wire coming from the sending unit. This is likely attached to the body or frame ahead of the gas tank, and it usually requires crawling well under the car to find. Make sure it is securely attached and that the connection is not rusty or grimy or whatever.

If the ground is ok and the gauge still doesn't work, then you have to go after the sending unit, and that means dropping the tank.

I don't what your previous owner means when he says that the sending unit needs to be "adjusted." There is nothing on it to adjust. How could adjustment of it be any part of fixing a problem or routine maintenance, anyway? The thing is completely inaccessible as it is inside the gas tank. I think your PO was just feeding you a line so that you would go away.

The fact that your gauge seems to be stuck on 1/2 suggests that the gauge needle itself might be stuck. It would be interesting to see the results of the first test above to see if the needle moves at all.
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Welcome, congrats on the Toro. Pic's?

Juanty has you pointed in the right direction on the gauge.
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:09 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Funny, I have the same problem with cars following me home too.

Were you able to fix the gas gauge issue?
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:42 AM

gauge fix

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Welcome to CO! Funny, I have the same problem with cars following me home too.

Were you able to fix the gas gauge issue?
i think so!

http://www.fuelgaugecalibrator.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP4017.jpg (45.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg
IMGP4018.jpg (44.3 KB, 6 views)
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:54 AM

[QUOTE=OLD SKL 69;586140]Welcome to CO! Funny, I have the same problem with cars following me home too.

The P.O. was happy when I told him I am a preservationist and WONT be making the car a low rider which would have happened if some youngin in Albuquerque bought it!

Not sure that would be wise anyway with the FWD!

It STILL tickles me when I start it cause it sounds like a new car....way quick cranking, Perfect starter/ flywheel mesh (<that has been one of my quirks since i'm about 14 years old) the perfect note that comes outa the pipes gives me a chubby LOL!

I was going to remove the resonators like I did on my last 70 bird but this puppy is just fine.

The strangest thing is its been parked out in front of my retail shop for a week and its been woman (5 of them ) that approached me about the car.

Two came in just to ask about it!

Hope to get the replacement 1/2 axle shaft soon, so I can get it really road worthy.
Am only taking short trips to a nearby town and back.

My shop is two blocks from the house and I find myself going to the end of town and back to warm er up each morning.

This house was built in the late 30s and one of the two Drs who owned it had the garage extended for his late 60s lincoln and this ole girl really takes up that extra footage!