The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

newbie trying to help friend with 73 Olds Omega

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2014, 09:22 PM

newbie trying to help friend with 73 Olds Omega

Hi all! I have a good friend with a 1973 Oldsmobile Omega and I am trying to find resources/info for her and her husband. We live in Half Moon Bay, CA.

Thanks for letting me join classicoldsmobile.com! .
Old September 28th, 2014, 01:16 AM

Hello, good luck in your quest, I'm just over the hill from you, Fremont area

Gene
Old September 28th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Having them buy a copy of the Chassis Service Manual from somewhere like eBay would be a good start. 1973 is not a desirable year, so the '73 manuals are much cheaper.

They can also download a copy for free from WildABoutCars, but the 1973 scan is not of very high quality.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old September 28th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Lansing built

A very unique propaganda picture in brochure.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati...ine-38-39.html

Pat
Old September 28th, 2014, 11:02 AM

Thank you all :-)

To Gene (64Rocket), Eric (MDchanic), and Pat (1970cs): thank you for your welcoming posts.

Eric, I'll follow up on the leads for the service manual. The owner has had her car in and out of the shop many times lately, still not running right, so it seems the mechanic working on it may not have the right experience or info. Maybe getting the right parts is an issue. Anyway, I don't know all the details yet. All I know is my friend is about ready to part with her beloved "green hornet". If we can get it running reliably, she'll be happy. If not, she may need to "re-home" it. :-)

-Deb
Old September 28th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Perhaps if you describe the symptoms we might point you in a direction for a cure. It's hard to find a good mechanic these days, although we don't know if her current mechanic is bad or not yet.
Old September 28th, 2014, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site. Perhaps if you describe the symptoms we might point you in a direction for a cure. It's hard to find a good mechanic these days, although we don't know if her current mechanic is bad or not yet.
Hi Eric. I'm going to see her tomorrow, try to look at her recent maintenance records, and then talk to her mechanic. Here is what she has told me so far:
... he(mechanic) rebuilt the Carburator a few weeks ago, put in a new fuel pump last week . He has worked on this problem when I was without the car for what seemed for weeks. He has been unable to get a little gizmo that keeps the gas from rushing through, it is supposed to drop and it sometimes doesn't do it.
I don't know anything about car repair, but I can put time into research. The mechanic might not be able to spend the time needed to research issues/parts with a car this old. For him (and his customers) it would be more cost-effective to work on newer vehicles that have more readily available parts. Also my cousin told me that today's cars (since mid 80's?) don't have carburetors and consequently many mechanics don't have as much understanding/experience with these older cars.

As an aside, I've always dreamed of getting a Nash Metropolitan. I see now that I would need to learn a thing or two if I ever indulge that dream.
Old September 28th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

He's having problems with the float (or thinks he is).

For goodness sake, floats for the 2-barrel 2-Jet and for the 4-barrel QuadraJet are readily available at every auto parts store.

This guy doesn't know what he's doing.
Take the car to someone who has a clue. This stuff is not complicated.

- Eric
Old September 28th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Administrator

I have to agree with Eric, it may be time to spring her from mechanics jail and find someone who is familiar with older cars take a stab at it. Perhaps if you post a location maybe one of our members is close by and possibly help.
Old September 28th, 2014, 06:07 PM

I posted a reply to both Erics, and lost it! (I keep having to sign back in and if I take too long to type my message, when I submit, it is thrown away and I am told to sign in again.) So, now no long reply. Thank you both for de-mystifying the problem. (I'll read up on the float.) The mechanic is here in Half Moon Bay, CA and is well known, but that does not mean he necessarily understands older carbureted cars.

I'll see if I can find a more suitable mechanic to diagnose and advise, especially based on your feedback. My friend, in her late 80's, is now spooked and by the costs and recent unreliability. She is talking about selling. I'm hoping to either help her get a decent price, or help her get her car running (if it appears close to being fixed with the right mechanic and part(s).)

I'd be happy to hear if you know a suitable mechanic in the Half Moon Bay, CA area (south of San Francisco).

thanks,
Deb
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Administrator

When you are signing in click on the box that says remember me, that will prevent the site from timing out. Wish you luck in helping your friend get her car back on the road.
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I would bet that someone from this forum who lives nearby would be willing to go out and help an almost-ninety year old lady in return for nothing more than a batch of cookies or a pie.

I know I sure would.

- Eric
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I would bet that someone from this forum who lives nearby would be willing to go out and help an almost-ninety year old lady in return for nothing more than a batch of cookies or a pie.

I know I sure would.

- Eric
Oh, man, she would LOVE that. She brings a home baked sweet to many of our Friday quilting sew-ins. Maybe some good samaritan will surface. :-) Meanwhile, I'll continue research and use tips from good and knowledgeable folks like you all.

-Deb
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:55 PM

oldcutlass Eric: thanks. I can't believe I didn't check that box before, but you're absolutely right, I didn't. I like easy fixes.