The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie in Denver, CO

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2012, 08:39 AM

Newbie in Denver, CO

Hi all,

I just joined the forum after finding this site browsing for information on my 1953 Super 88. I inherited the car a few months ago after my father passed away. He owned the car for about 35 years and it was always his prized possession. I intend to keep the car for as long as I am alive so look forward to learning more about it and how to keep it in good running condition.

What I know about my car:

1953 Oldsmobile Super 88 4-door sedan
303 CID V-8 Rocket engine
Rochester 4-bbl carburetor
2-speed Dynaflow automatic transmission (used by Oldsmobile for several months after the Hydramatic plant burned in early 1953)
Treadle-Vac power brake booster
BF Goodrich 760-15 wide whitewall tubless tires
12-volt electrical system w/generator
Engine and drivetrain are all original (odometer has rolled to show approximately 104k miles) with the exception of 12v electric fuel boost pump (in addition to the original mechanical fuel pump)
Interior is all original with the exception of carpeting*
Body and chrome are original*

*Re-paint, minor body work and interior carpeting were done approximately 12 years ago. Paint is several coats hand-rubbed laquer

Some questions I still have:

1. The transmission selector indicator needle on the column is missing (presumed broken off inside) ... is this something that can be replaced?

2. The engine runs strong and smoke-free but I do get an occasional whiff of smoke from what I have determined is the road draft crankcase vent tube when waiting at stop lights ... is this normal?

3. Engine stumbles and sometimes stalls when starting from from a stoplight if I get on the throttle too quickly ... could this be a bad accelerator pump?

4. Brakes didn't feel right the first time I drove it (it had not been driven for several months by then) so I found the brake booster dipstick and checked fluid level - stick was dry. I researched for proper brake fluid and found DOT3 was recommened so I added fluid to half-way point on the dipstick. Brakes now work great, but ... does this indicate I have a leak somewhere - and - even though I feel no mushiness whatsoever, do the brakes need to be bled to insure I don't have air in the lines?

Any info anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to continuing what dad started with this beautiful classic Oldsmobile and sincerely appreciate this site and its members as a resource for learning more about these cars.
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Always room for one more

Welcome! What a great way to honor your father by keeping his prized possession in tip top shape.

Does your car have "Dynaflow" on the rear quarters like the Buick did? I saw a picture once of an Olds that had it. I also heard Olds recalled the cars with DF and retrofitted them with a Hydramatic once the new plant was operational. How did yours escape that?
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:31 AM

Thank you, slantflat. No, there is no Dynaflow badging anywhere on the car. I haven't ever heard about the Dynaflow recall so don't have any info there. I'm glad it still has the Dynaflow, though. I've driven the car about 300 miles so far and really like how smooth the drivetrain feels. The car drives so nice I wouldn't have any qualms about using it as a daily driver. I won't, though - too nice to subject it to the everyday "oopsies".
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:33 AM

Welcome...
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:49 AM

Welcome, and a "way to go" on keeping the memory of your dad alive! A more than good lookin' ride, too.

If it really has a dynaflow tranny from the factory, it is a rarity. In fact, while the story of Olds using dynaflows, due to a fire, is well known, the existence of such cars is more than few and far between.
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:16 AM

Thanks, D. Yaros. Yes, it is a factory original Dynaflow. My dad was the third owner of the car and it was completely original when he bought it.
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:52 AM
CQR

Welcome. Hope to see it out at the golden supercruise.
Old August 26th, 2012, 01:37 PM

Welcome to CO, CO53! Really a nice example, and the DynaFlush makes it a rare one. I've always heard about them, but never seen one. Great on kekeping it from/for your Dad!
Old August 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Good to have another fifties era car owner joining up, Welcome! I'll try and answer your questions the best I can in the order you asked, sweet looking car by the way.

#1 Your Transmission / column combo is so rare on a Oldsmobile that information on it probably would be answered better on the AACA forum they have a active Buick forum and many knowledgeable people on it, there again someone here may have some history on this combo.

#2 All down draft vents will smoke a little, the more wear the more smoke. Hard to tell, have you driven it enough to tell if it is using any oil? If it is it could be getting a little tired in the ring department.

# 3 Acts a lot like a bad accelerator pump or the car is cold blooded and hasn't reached proper operating temperature, my car is like that, when warm no stutter at all,It takes an abnormal length of time before it will smooth out.

#4 The minimum I would do if the master cylinder lost fluid would to check all possible areas for leaks up on a rack seldom do you lose fluid without something going bad in a 60 year old car.Keep an eye on the treadle vac you may have lost a seal and sometimes it's hard to see the leak .If the brakes feel normal you may not need to bleed them but I probably would out of piece of mind....Lost in the fifties ....Tedd
Old August 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM

Thank you for the reply and info, Ted.

I'll do some further research on the trnsmission indicator needle - thanks for the lead.

I checked oil before I drove it the first time (strange that in 35 years dad never offered to let me drive it - but then I never did ask, either - it was his baby) ... dipstick said to add one quart, so I did. 300 or so miles later it is still at the full mark so doesn't seem to be using too much oil. One thing that I have noticed is that it had developed a leak while it was parked in dad's garage. After driving it several times these past few weeks the leak has cleared up - no drips in my own garage.

Now that you metion it, it dosn't seem to stumble as bad once I have driven it for 15-20 minutes. Maybe it is just a little cold-blooded. I guess I could pull the air cleaner off and see if I get a jet of fuel in the carburetor when I work the throttle manually.

OK, I'll check for any signs of leakage from the master cylinder. Haven't noticed any drips. Probably best I have the brakes checked and bled by a professional (not too mechanically inclined, myself).

Thanks again!
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:39 AM

Welcome to the site. For the stumbling situation, you may want to check to see if there's possibly a loose, or broke vacuum line that may be causing this.

Tony
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:07 AM

Thanks Tony. Would that be a vacuum line to the carburetor, or ???
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by CO53Super88
Thanks Tony. Would that be a vacuum line to the carburetor, or ???
If there's a vacuum line on or to the carburetor, you may want to inspect it. You may also want to take the air cleaner off and see if the carb is gunked up at all too.
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:18 AM

OK, will do. Thanks for the input, Tony.
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by CO53Super88
OK, will do. Thanks for the input, Tony.
No problem...
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:13 AM

Welcome!!!!! Glad you kept the car in the family
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Welcome to CO

Great looking 53
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Great looking 53
Thanks! Yours too!