The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newb in Ohio

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2009, 12:20 AM

Newb in Ohio

Hi everyone, I've got a 1966 Ninety-Eight. It's been my dads car for a while now, we've rebuilt the motor several times now (sometimes to upgrade and sometimes because we broke it). I'll have to check with my dad for details, but I want to say we got it with a 425, put a bigger crank in it to bump it up to a 455 and a few other fun bits too. I have to check with my dad because the last time we rebuilt the motor was probably almost ten years ago.

At the moment we have the motor out and are prepairing to rebuild it again. We're not even sure what's wrong with it this time so this will be time consuming because we'll have to look for the problem.

I have a 307 I think from an 84 Delta 88 that I'd like to try swapping in while we rebuild the motor, but I'm worried that it just won't have the power to get the car going. I have a phone number I need to try this weekend for another 66 Ninety-Eight with a cracked frame that I was considering using for parts. When I first talked to the guy he didn't seem to think the frame was repairable, but otherwise the care is spotless. I guess someone put it up on the wrong kind of lift and that was it. I've considered putting the nice body on my good frame if I can still get it from this guy.

I'd appreciate it very much if anyone could help me out with parts, or somewhere to get parts. If I could come up with a spare motor(and trans, we're not sure that the tranny is any good anymore) to keep this boat running while I rebuild the motor I'd very much like to be able to drive it. It's not pretty but it's solid, no rust that I've seen but my dad tried to paint it himself and it just didn't work out as well as we'd hoped.

It's been sitting for a few years now, we just haven't had the money/time to finish things out, but I hope to get it running before winter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old August 8th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Registered

Welcome fellow Buckeye. Where are you located?, lots of Ohioans on here.
You're in exactly the right place for that project, these guys know they're stuff, present company excluded.
Solid is better than pretty any day, solid and pretty is the ultimate goal, nice if it runs too.
Old August 8th, 2009, 05:12 AM

Welcome to the site. I am outside of Youngstown
Old August 8th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Welcome from Columbus, seems to be a good amount of Ohio Olds fans here. We might even outnumber the 69 owners?
Old August 8th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Glad you chose to join us.
Old August 8th, 2009, 05:30 AM

I'm in akron.
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:07 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Welcome from Columbus, seems to be a good amount of Ohio Olds fans here. We might even outnumber the 69 owners?
Welcome from the other coast. Anytime you can outnumber the 69'ers I'm for it
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by seabeepirate
I'm in akron.
I'm in Bainbridge Twp. just north of Aurora.

Should check out the Olds show next week. They may have some parts you need at the swap meet.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...swap-meet.html
Old August 8th, 2009, 12:24 PM

This guy has two running engines for sale. One is a 350 and the other is a 403. I have personally seen the 403 run and he took me for a ride in the car. It is a very good running engine. For being stock, it pulls pretty hard. I believe he has pulled the 403, so you can't hear it run, but take my word for it that it is a good runner.

Here is the links to the for sale ads.

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthre...t=42636&page=2

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48632
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Hope you get your engine swap done, whether a 307 or something else.
Old August 9th, 2009, 03:29 AM

Thanks guys, I won't be able to make the show, I'm working third shift and I'll be asleep then haha. I'll have to try again some other time. I just check on that 403 but I'm waiting on administrator approval of my account before I can ask any questions...

I'd really prefer another 425 or 455, but if the 403 will get me around I'll give it a shot. The 425/455 gives me the option to always have a motor in the works. Also to have a spare when we take it to norwalk in case be blow the motor(again) would be great.