The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New kid on the block from central FL

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2012, 07:00 AM

New kid on the block from central FL

Over all GM fan. I have a '67 GTO 400/400 that I saved from a crusher in 1982, my senior year in HS. You can do the math, kid is a relative term. I don't have an Olds at the moment, but I do have a '69 350/350 drive train I pulled from a rearended Cutlass. I've had it for about 13 years just waiting for the right project. '48 Olds coupe gasser was the dream car or unique power plant for a rat rod. The right thing hasn't crossed my path yet. I have a friend of the family (Harry), that I reciently helped get a nice mid 80s Cutlass roller. The PO was turning it into a turbo Buick clone. I'm looking for some info. about putting this '69 combo in his car. He has an '82 V6 cutlass rust bucket that runs good, that I was going to swap drive trains with. Is this a viable swap, are parts like headers, crossmembers availible to do this? Oh yea, my name comes from my passion for Suzuki GSs. It's the name I go by on GSR. Thanks in advance for any help and info. I'll fill in my sign. and post picts of the project(Harry's), when I can use the computer. Rick
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:52 PM
same but different

Welcome to the site Rick.

Like you I've allways wanted to put an Olds power plant into an old rod. As I get older, thats looking more likeable.

As for putting your 69 combo into an 82 car thats entirely possible and its been done many times. These cars came with the small block 307 which is the same size physically as the 350.

If it had the buick v6 in the 82, You'll need olds small block mounts and smallblock frame pads ...in the right holes on the cross member. You 'll need to do some wiring mods...mainly lengthing them to accomadate the location of the olds starter and altenator and battery location might be different.

Headers are available, you don't need to change cross member.

Have fun with your project.
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I'll let my friend know what you said. I have the block mounts , but not the frame pads. I guess the driveshaft and the v6 radiator might have to go for something a little stouter. I'll do a search on here to see if there are any build threads useing this combo. We'll have to come up with pulleys and acc. brakets. Sadly these are gone. It does have the stock ex. mans. so we can make do with those to start. I wasn't sure about the routeing. I saw a duel flow master exhaust system for this body style on CList locally just this past week. Food for thought, thanks.
PS anybody that reads this and might have parts we will need, please PM me.

Rick
120204_0004.jpg
120204_0003.jpg
120529_0002.jpg