The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New 68 Cutlass Supreme Owner in BC.

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2012, 11:25 AM

New 68 Cutlass Supreme Owner in BC.

Hello All,,

Well after quite some time looking at various Cutlasses over the past several months i now have a 1968 Cutlass supreme in my garage. It is going to require a lot of body work over the winter so bring on the fun. I believe it is a 310 hp rocket 350 car with a two speed transmission. I'd like to upgrade it to disk brakes add a tach and possibly upgrade it to a 4 speed auto and change it to a posi rear end. This is all new to me so there will be a lot of questions upcoming. I will hope to add some pictures soon.
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to C.O.
Where in BC are you?
Looking forward to your pics and questions.
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:06 PM

I'm in Port Coquitlam, just outside of Vancouver. My name is a little misleading as there is probably going to be a big block in the future, but for now we'll be working on getting this baby in line for next summers cruises.
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Cool, I have friends in PQ. Hansard Crescent. Just behind the creek and WCE line. I was going to ask you about the BigBlock in your name.

Post the VIN and pic of the cowl tag. Easy to decode and it will tell you more about the car.
Old November 11th, 2012, 05:00 PM

Its a 68 Cutlass supreme 2 door holiday coupe made in Canada is what I can get from the VIN. I don't think the VIN contains any information about gearing or options, is there anywhere else that I can look for this information or a place they like to hide the build sheet with this information? Oh, its also a rocket 350 4 barrel with a two speed.
Old November 11th, 2012, 07:17 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Looking forward to the pics too.
Old November 12th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by BCBigBlock
Its a 68 Cutlass supreme 2 door holiday coupe made in Canada is what I can get from the VIN by the number . I don't think the VIN contains any information about gearing or options, is there anywhere else that I can look for this information or a place they like to hide the build sheet with this information? Oh, its also a rocket 350 4 barrel with a two speed.
So it was built in Oshawa. That would be represented on the VIN with the number 1 in the 7th position - US codes were letters, Canada was a number. Also handy from the VIN are the model codes and the last six numbers. Those last six are often referred to as the VIN deriviative and are also stamped onto the block, trans, and frame when the car was built. It will help identify the original driveline and trans to the car.

The cowl tag will have the build date code, original paint code, some Fisher options, and the Trim colors it was born with. Cowl tag will also identify the body number of the car which is different from the VIN.

re: Build sheet. If the car has never been apart, there's a good chance you may find a build sheet in it. Look under the seats, parcel shelf, on top of the gas tank, under the carpeting, behind a door or kick panel. Build sheets are very different from broadcast sheets and will have every component of the car listed on it; including the gearing you were curious about.

Since this is a Canadian built car, GM Canada will have a history of the cars production with all the original options and packages it was built with. You can send for it (costs around $C 75.00 now). It will tell you the actual production date, where the car was delivered, how many were built, etc.
http://vintagevehicleservices.com/fo...tion_73.45.pdf

Here's a good example of a 68 VIN and Cowl tag I recently took for a 68 post coupe. Chances are you probably will have L74M31 in your cowl tag also. Those codes represent the 350 with the 2 speed Jetaway transmission. If you also have B96, that is the bright molding that goes around the trim of a post coupe.

Hope this helps a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2883.jpg (56.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2885.jpg (54.5 KB, 5 views)
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Welcome, we like pictures and congrats on the new project.
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:52 PM

Hi All,, in the process of working on the project. I am in need of a Drivers side front door for my 68. If anyone knows of where I may be able to track one of these down please send an email to ryanapatterson at hot mail dot com or send me a PM here.

Cheers,
Ryan
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:18 PM

Hello BC buddy, If you're ever out aorund Surrey keep an eye out for my car, haha