The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

need help 1969 hurst olds coughs thru carb on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2014, 07:04 PM

need help 1969 hurst olds coughs thru carb on acceleration

Have had her quite some time just recently started coughing once in a while thru the carb only does it on hard accelerations or in hi gear with full throttle will cough worst at hi gear full throttle. Checked timing ,dwell, new 850 performance carb, new fuel tank sock sending unit, plugs wires cap points also checked valve spring just completely puzzeled. Also adjusted air mixture every way possible looking for new ideas.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:52 PM

is this a holley 850 or one of those carter/edelbrock carbs?
Old October 23rd, 2014, 01:08 AM

I think coughing through the carb is more often caused by lean running or bad ignition timing setting off the mixture before the intake closes. But the things you have described doing should have eliminated those possibilities.

This is a long shot but if the car was 'coughing' before you did all the things described and they didn't cure it, you might look at the condition of the valves --not just the valve springs. Do a compression test.

Twice in my car owning life I've had those symptoms under similar full throttle and couldn't solve them until doing a compression check and finding valves didn't seal and contain combustion to the chamber.
Good luck with this and I do hope you don't have to go into the heads to solve your problem.
Jerry
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
I think coughing through the carb is more often caused by lean running or bad ignition timing setting off the mixture before the intake closes. But the things you have described doing should have eliminated those possibilities.

This is a long shot but if the car was 'coughing' before you did all the things described and they didn't cure it, you might look at the condition of the valves --not just the valve springs. Do a compression test.

Twice in my car owning life I've had those symptoms under similar full throttle and couldn't solve them until doing a compression check and finding valves didn't seal and contain combustion to the chamber.
Good luck with this and I do hope you don't have to go into the heads to solve your problem.
Jerry
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:07 AM

Was going to try another distributor today got a good one out of 69 442 with a 400 . Will run a compression test today also.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible

Jerry
x2 often happens when a valve or valves start to go south.....Tedd
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mattmaster
Have had her quite some time just recently started coughing once in a while thru the carb only does it on hard accelerations or in hi gear with full throttle will cough worst at hi gear full throttle. Checked timing ,dwell, new 850 performance carb, new fuel tank sock sending unit, plugs wires cap points also checked valve spring just completely puzzeled. Also adjusted air mixture every way possible looking for new ideas.
First, what is an "850 performance carb"? Since it's not the original carb, how is it set up to match your engine?

Second, tell us about the engine? Is it stock? If not, what's been done to it?

Third, adjusting the IDLE mixture screws will have exactly zero effect on how the engine performs off of idle Put them back to where they were originally, as they are not the problem.

Fourth, You didn't mention the ignition coil, which is often the cause of problems under load.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
First, what is an "850 performance carb"? Since it's not the original carb, how is it set up to match your engine?

Second, tell us about the engine? Is it stock? If not, what's been done to it?

Third, adjusting the IDLE mixture screws will have exactly zero effect on how the engine performs off of idle Put them back to where they were originally, as they are not the problem.

Fourth, You didn't mention the ignition coil, which is often the cause of problems under load.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 08:07 PM

Hey Joe it's a Smith street master Quadra jet stage ll the engine is stock no modification and I put air idle screws back to factory settings it has a stock coil . Replaced the distributor with a pintronics hei system also checked for slack in timing chain there was no slack. After New distributor was installed set timing at 10 degrees before TDC reset idle at 575 still pops when shifting in to 2nd gear and at hi rpms. Gonna pull valve covers tomorrow check valve springs a buddy said could be a cam shift starting to go flat. Any other ideas would be helpful also I normally run 100 octane but recently dropped down to 89 octane could gas be the problem? Didn't do it on 100 octane