The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

interchangability of chevrolet parts on 1950s-60s oldsmobiles

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2011, 01:52 AM

interchangability of chevrolet parts on 1950s-60s oldsmobiles

Hi
Olds and I go back quite a ways,although I don't have one right now.

There Is something that has intrigued me over the years. many years ago my dad had a 65 Olds Jetstar 88. It didn't have kick panel vents ,but he installed some from a Chevrolet.He also had a 66 F-85 4-door sedan with a manual transmission(rare) that had bucket seats and console that looked like they came out of from a Malibu. I have heard rumors of Chevrolet parts fitting Olds(as well as Pontiac,Cadillac and Buick).
Recently I ran into a guy that is selling a 59 Dynanic 88 and also spotted a rotting 1958 model.

What interchanges between Olds and Chevy?
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:39 AM
Past Administrator

So many possibilities depending upon the make and models being discussed. Of course, the wheels might if the bolt pattern and backspacing is the same, and as you mentioned, the seats might fit, etc. Welcome to our site. You need to find yourself an Oldsmobile and get 'back in the saddle'.
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:38 AM

I would take seats and door panels from 1965-6 fullsize chevys for my many Oldsmobiles I had over the years.

Wiper motors, interior door pulls and exterior handles interchanged as well.
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:45 AM
Oldsdruid

A lot of Fisher Body and electrical stuff interchanges between BOPC. Cadillac not so much.

Mechanically, you will find little to no interchange. Olds was a heavier car and "overengineered" compared to Chevrolet.

I've found that in the 60s, Olds and Pontiac had quite a bit in common, and Chev and Buick had a lot in common.
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:05 PM

Marc, welcome aboard.
Mid fifties 88 and century's shared a few body parts front doors windshields inside and outside window trim and a few other small parts , but little off of a chevy.... Tedd
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM

Olds and Chevy shared some of the same glass in the early 60's. Many of the windshields interchanged between 59 - 65.
Old August 1st, 2011, 04:19 PM

When I worked at the Chevy Dealership in the summer of 1964, there was a book that we could look up the Chevy number, and read across the page to find the part number for each of the other divisions comparable part. Many times we had to go to the Buick or Pontiac dealer in town to get the part needed to complete the repair. When the Chevy part came in, we put it in the box that the Buick or Pontiac part came in, and would return it to the dealership that we borrowed it from. I don't know how many of these parts interchange, but is was a book of about 2" thick and had a section for each marque's part number in the first left hand column and then the other marques were to the right. Wish I had that book today..