The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from St. Louis!

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Hello from St. Louis!

Hello everyone,
My name's Seth, I'm new to owning classic cars but have dreamed of owning one for quite a while now. I just bought my '67 Cutlass Supreme Holiday Sedan back in April. She's in really nice shape for being a 47 year old car but, still needs some work done as can be expected. Me and my dad are slowly getter her in shape and fixing some crap the previous owners did to her (pin-striping, window-tinting, etc.). The paint's shot so I need to get a new paint job done but that will probably have to wait until next year due to lack of cash; and a few mechanical issues that are more important.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll have to get some pictures up here in a while so you guys can see her.

- S
Old June 26th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Old School Olds

Nice!

Welcome to CO Seth.
Looking forward to the pics.
Father and Son projects are
always welcomed and encouraged.
Old June 26th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:08 PM

welcome

Welcome Seth. Glad to see another Missourian join our ranks. I live in Washington Mo. Would like to see pics when possible. Rick
Old June 26th, 2014, 01:31 PM

hi, sounds like geat a car

Last edited by cfhcar; June 26th, 2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:18 PM
same but different

Welcome Seth, and Hello from the State Fair City.

The mechanical systems is a good place to start. Brakes and steering first as you know. You'll be on your way to driving and enjoying the car safely in no time.

Would love to see some pics too.
Old June 26th, 2014, 03:49 PM

Welcome.....I live just the other side of the river in Belleville.

Bria
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome! As promised, here are a few photos of the car I managed to take while on break earlier today.

2014-06-26150356.jpg
f16ecafe-4af6-4847-b7a6-466637c0d4fe.jpg
a90e28ed-b29e-4190-a43a-8475232c6461.jpg
2014-06-26150516.jpg
2014-06-26150525.jpg
2014-06-26150618.jpg
Old June 27th, 2014, 12:14 PM

Nice car
Old June 27th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard Seth.
Gotta say that car looks remarkably well preserved for it's age. Given a choice to buy a 67 sedan, I would choose the CS HT sedan every day. Nice choice. The interior also looks to be in decent shape. The wheel discs are from a 66 BTW.

330 with Jetaway 2 speed trans? I was surprised to see no factory AC.
Old June 27th, 2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Welcome aboard Seth.
Gotta say that car looks remarkably well preserved for it's age. Given a choice to buy a 67 sedan, I would choose the CS HT sedan every day. Nice choice. The interior also looks to be in decent shape. The wheel discs are from a 66 BTW.

330 with Jetaway 2 speed trans? I was surprised to see no factory AC.
Yep, though I'm thinking about eventually changing out the Jetaway for a 3-spd at some point to try and help improve fuel efficiency some; as right now it screams when I'm going down the highway at 70mph. I've settled on driving 55 and just being happy that I finally have a cool old car.

I had no idea the hubcaps were from a '66; what do the '67's look like?
Old June 27th, 2014, 03:11 PM

Another St. Louisan checking in - welcome to the forum. Nice cruiser
You might consider coming out to an Archway Olds Club meeting to meet some other locals with similar cars. At a minimum, bring the car to the Fun Show in September.
Old June 27th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Roan
right now it screams when I'm going down the highway at 70mph. I've settled on driving 55 and just being happy that I finally have a cool old car.

I had no idea the hubcaps were from a '66; what do the '67's look like?
If it's over revving now? Have the transmission checked for slippage, and also check what code the rear gears are. Most of these are slugs with around 2.56 which is great for highway.

67 wheel discs aren't really a huge improvement, they look like this for the CS models. The standard Cutlass discs are even more plain. I learned to drive on a car exactly like the bottom picture.

YIKES! while I was just looking for a correct pic I found the listing for your car when it was listed on Auto Trader It even shows that RF filler broken. Someone obviously got a new one and installed/painted it slightly off color. Still has the window tint on it in the ad. Asking price 4500.00 Hope you paid less than that.
Old June 28th, 2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by stlbluesbrother
Another St. Louisan checking in - welcome to the forum. Nice cruiser
You might consider coming out to an Archway Olds Club meeting to meet some other locals with similar cars. At a minimum, bring the car to the Fun Show in September.
I'll have to check out the Archway Olds Club, are you a member? What Fun Show are you referring to? I searched online and couldn't find anything.

If it's over revving now? Have the transmission checked for slippage, and also check what code the rear gears are.
I probably exaggerated a little, I don't think the transmission is slipping I think I'm just not used to only having two gears.
YIKES! while I was just looking for a correct pic I found the listing for your car when it was listed on Auto Trader It even shows that RF filler broken. Someone obviously got a new one and installed/painted it slightly off color. Still has the window tint on it in the ad. Asking price 4500.00 Hope you paid less than that.
That was actually me that repaired the RH fender extension; I found one that was the same color (or close anyway) on Ebay and just got it installed a couple of weeks ago.

I also found that same Auto Trader ad before I bought the car and no, I didn't pay $4,500; I got it for $3,250. I am curious though, given the condition that it seems to be in plus the fact that it's only got a little over 68,000 miles on it, I really would have thought $4,500 was cheap. Or am I just incorrectly thinking that just because it's old and in decent shape it would be worth more?

On a side note: Haggerty lists the two door version of the '67 Cutlass Supreme in poor condition as being worth approximately $6200. Is that just way off? I know most people like the two door instead of the four door versions but, I wouldn't have thought it would make that much of a difference in the price.
Old June 28th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

There's a significant difference in pricing when looking at the valuation of 2 doors (HT or Sports coupes) and sedans. Sedans are significantly lower valued and there just isn't as much demand for them. There were also less sedans (whether HT or Towne) built than coupes. You paid a decent price all things considered. That Haggerty valuation is high. In rough shape it's closer to 2500 or less, fair to average - around 6500.00. You're right in the middle of that.

BTW, I wasn't criticizing that repair. I'm glad you did it because it helps the front end presentation. Besides eventually it'll get covered with new paint. I was just commenting that the AT ad showed it 'before' with the damage.

The Jetaway shouldn't make a whole lot of noise. Have you done a mileage test on the highway? Try if for a 100 mile run at 60 mph and if it's on par you should be averaging around 15-17 mpg. Check your timing and plugs first so you don't just burn fuel unnecessarily.
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:00 PM

Hey, don't worry about it; I didn't take anything you said personal. And you're right, once I get her a new coat of paint, no one will ever notice the repair.

I haven't taken her for a long haul on the highway just yet, I may get that chance tomorrow. I just replaced the plugs two weeks ago and I know the timing is just a tad off so, I'm hopeful that I can improve the gas mileage once that's corrected. Right now I've been averaging 11 1/2 to 12mpg; but that's both around town and highway combined.
I know these old cars don't get the best mileage but, I have to be able to get better than that!!
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

11/12 combined for your car is actually pretty much average, assuming equal highway and city. If you spend more in the city, obviously you'll see a bigger change when you hit the highway. When you set your timing, don't forget to adjust the idle speed if it needs it. Make sure the points and dwell are set right and you'll be good to go.
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:38 PM
same but different

I'll have to admit that 11-12 mpg is pretty normal. I think you can do a little better too, but don't get hung up on it and just enjoy it.

I like the car
Old June 29th, 2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Roan
I'll have to check out the Archway Olds Club, are you a member? What Fun Show are you referring to? I searched online and couldn't find anything.
Yes, I'm a member. Info on the club can be found here: http://archwayoldsclub.org/

And, a flier for the Fun Show can be seen by clicking on the respective link, "2014 Fun Show", on the Home Page - bottom right side.

There are about 30 members at the monthly meeting. And the show at the Museum of Transportation will draw around 50 to 80 cars.

Mike
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:38 AM

@Mike: Thanks for the info; I'll have to mark the date for the Fun Show on the calendar so I don't forget.

@don71: I try not to think too much about the amount of fuel I'm burning through every time I drive but that's hard to do as this is my only car. Any tips on improving the fuel efficiency would be appreciated; I spoke on the phone to one of the mechanics over at Fast Lane in St. Charles last week and he recommended replacing the Quadrajet carb with a new Edelbrock as he had done this himself on a 71 cutlass and brought it up to 15-16mpg instead of 10-12. I'm not sure I really want to do that though as I want to keep the car as original as possible while still improving mileage....any thoughts?