The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello! 1970 Cutlass SX

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2020, 02:49 AM

Hello! 1970 Cutlass SX

Morning!

(lengthy post, but hopefully worth the time to read. starting pics at bottom)

I am a freshman in college who has always been "into cars", but I've only recently had the time, means, and burning desire to work on them myself.

I started off a year ago on training wheels working on an '81 Corvette with my father. I was always hesitant to work on it by myself out of fear of screwing things up. But because work kept him incredibly busy lately, I knew that if I wanted to have that car to drive around in with friends, that I was going to have to face my fears and do this on my own. I replaced the radiator, power steering control valve, heater core, among other things until it was road worthy. It was such a rewarding feeling to have it done and knowing it did it myself!

Now that I am done with that I was itching for another project to fill my time in a worthwhile and fulfilling way. That's when my dad told me he had a rare cutlass just sitting in the carport oustide his old apartment he bought 40-something years ago in college for $300, and that I could use it as my first big project.

And what a "big" project it is. It is in absolutely horrible condition (it was this bad when he bought it), but to me that's a good thing as it will keep me occupied for even longer . The original 455 is gone and has been replaced with what is apparently a 1965 425 engine. virtually everything else in the engine compartment is gone, and the interior is empty save for the dash and the floor pan. attached below are pictures of of it right after it was towed to our house.

That was a month ago, and since then I have soaked up more knowledge about every single square inch of this car, more than I really thought existed (a lot of it came from this form so thank you!!). So far I have spent this time "doing it right". What I mean by that is that I've spent a few hundred hours removing all of the rust and old undercoat from the underbody of the car. and applying new undercoat as well as paint. It is truly a sight to behold. I just put in the rear end and coil springs today after replacing all of the control arm bushings and making the differential look like new again. taking the before and after pics are what makes it all worth it to me. I just bought a 455 and I'm going to pick it up in a week.

The plan is to make it aesthetically and mechanically original/factory, save for the paint color and hood. once I saw a picture of this with a ram air hood in black, I knew I had to do that. With my current pace, I'm planning to have it road worthy and "done" to eyes of a non-car person by this time next year or sooner. That may sound ambitious, but I know I can meet that deadline.

Sorry for the long essay, but as you can probably tell I am incredibly passionate about this car and I can't wait to have it road worthy, though I will make sure to enjoy the journey. My dad and his car buddies are all so incredibly skilled and intelligent with old and new cars, and I am glad that it will live on through me. He has had a 1970 442 for a decade now, and I can't wait to cruise along side him in this SX. Looking forward to meeting and learning from y'all!

this picture was after power-washing off the dirt and dust that is visible in the picture of the rear

Old April 9th, 2020, 03:30 AM

Will be a great ride when your done. Take your time and enjoy doing the build. I like it already.
Old April 9th, 2020, 04:05 AM

Welcome, How do you restore a car when going to college? You must be super busy!! Looks like the floor is in good shape.
Old April 9th, 2020, 01:57 PM

I don't have the knowledge nor the tools to weld, so I am especially glad that I don't have to worry about welding a new one in. I'm de-rusting and painting it tomorrow once I am through with the trunk today.

My university is in the same city as I live. While I stayed in a dorm last semester, things changed, and now it makes sense for me to stay at home and make the commute to campus 4 days a week. School and car stuff, among other things, ensure my days are always long, but they are all things I want to be doing so I just count my blessings.
Old April 9th, 2020, 02:58 PM

Quite the ambitious project .My 72 cutlass supreme wasn't much different than yours .stay with it ,and good luck!

Old April 9th, 2020, 03:40 PM
Olds Fanatic

Welcome and congrats on embarking on this journey! Take your time and enjoy the process, there is nothing like the feeling you will have when its finished and you go for that first ride.
Old April 9th, 2020, 03:45 PM

Welcome to the site. Good luck with youre project, the floors look solid, which will greatly reduce you time and cost. Can you post a picture of the trim tag, located on the top of the firewall(under the hood), on the drivers side.Your car looks like it might originally be a Rally Red car(most would call it orange), which was a special order color for 1970, and fairly rare.
Ive owned my SX since 1978, it is code 75 Matador Red

70 SX W32

Last edited by 70W-32; April 9th, 2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old April 9th, 2020, 05:15 PM

It's raining right now so I didn't have time to brush all of the dirt off. In case some of the #'s are hard to read:

BODY BY FISHER 2 1
ST 70-34267 E3009 BDY

TR 970 WA4007 B PNT
04B

Not 100% sure if the "2" to the right of "FISHER" is actually there or just a trick of the eye.

Edit: Actually, now that I have looked up other 1970 trim tags and trim tag decoders, I am struggling to find information for several codes on my tag.

Last edited by nexo4; April 9th, 2020 at 05:48 PM. Reason: updated information
Old April 9th, 2020, 05:54 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

I Understand you stated The original 455 is gone and you also said it was replaced with what is apparently a 1965 425 engine. What about the trans ? Are you lucky enough to have the original TH400 OD code still in it..
If so keep it with your new 455 and document the vin stamp. Also when you pulled the old gas tank did you look for a Build sheet that may have been still under it.

Last edited by lunaboy; April 9th, 2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old April 9th, 2020, 06:11 PM

Yeah the 455 being gone was a bummer. I haven't taken the time to look at the OD code on the transmission as I have been focused on finding another 455. I would hate to think that I was robbed of the original TH400 (heaven forbid someone put a TH350 in it).

It's dark and raining where I am but I will check it tomorrow and report back to you.

The original build sheet is gone, at some point while it was sitting somebody broke in to the trunk and took a new front bumper and the rear seats, which the build sheet was under. My father wrote down the codes somewhere else 40 years ago and worked with some sort of Oldsmobile historian who confirmed that it was what it appeared to be. He is going to go by our storage place sometime soon to find a picture of the build sheet, or the codes he wrote down with the historian's signature.

Fingers crossed!
Old April 9th, 2020, 07:18 PM

WA4007 is Rally Red B is black top
970 is Black bucket seat interior
04B is second week of April 1970 for Fisher build time.
Old April 10th, 2020, 04:25 AM

Beautiful car and quite rare.
Are you going to keep it the original color ? I have a Rally Red and I love it. It gets so many compliments on the road.
Good luck with your build and have fun.
Old April 10th, 2020, 08:37 AM

Great car to revive. Being in TX, you should be able to get a rust-free decklid and hood pretty easily. I've owned my Rallye Red '70 SX since 2003. Good luck with your project!

Terry

Old April 10th, 2020, 02:56 PM

Your rally red has a beautiful shine, I haven't seen many good pics of this color! Save for the white top (versus my back one), that's what mine looked like new. Thank you for the perspective!
Old April 10th, 2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by nexo4
Your rally red has a beautiful shine, I haven't seen many good pics of this color! Save for the white top (versus my back one), that's what mine looked like new. Thank you for the perspective!
You bet. Thought it would be a motivator for you. Mine is 95% original paint - it’s a little rough up close but it’s still great looking from 10 feet.
Terry
Old April 10th, 2020, 03:10 PM

I'm starting to have second thoughts about changing the color after seeing a few other rally red's, but mostly because I now know that it is a rare, special order color (not because of monetary value, I plan on keeping this until I die). Obviously taste is subjective, but I have always disliked shades of orange, especially on cars. it's just not for me I guess. Rally red looks a lot better on this car than a "regular" orange would, but I can't say that I would like it for my own
Old April 10th, 2020, 03:19 PM

Thank you for that trim tag information.

Funnily enough, that means that this car turned 50 years old sometime this week! I'll be sure to celebrate 51 next year when it is looking a little better.
Old April 10th, 2020, 07:08 PM

Not an SX but it's Really Red
Old April 11th, 2020, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by lunaboy
What about the trans ? Are you lucky enough to have the original TH400 OD code still in it..
If so keep it with your new 455 and document the vin stamp.
I just got back from retrieving the ID tag as well as the VIN numbers stamped in above the oil pan on the driver's side. I know for sure it is a th400 with the OD code, though I can't seem to find much information the reveals what all of the numbers mean. Online resources tell me what each part represents (date, engine, etc.), but I have yet to find a chart complete with all of the possible codes that could be on this TH400, as well as their corresponding value.

I also just noticed the VIN on the TH400 is 1 digit off from the VIN in the door jam.
door jam + dash VIN: 342670E170088
Transmission VIN: 30E170088

Does this mean it is the right transmission, just not numbers matching? it's strange to me that it is so close to being a perfect match. hoping I'm just crazy.

The 1970 Chassis Service manual was not as helpful as I was hoping it would be with identification either. You guys seem to be really good at ID'ing this stuff, I guess it just comes with experience.

Old April 11th, 2020, 10:38 AM

Those look like matching numbers to me. Remember they only stamp a vin derivative not the entire vin.
3= Oldsmobile
0= 1970
E= Linden New Jersey plant
170088= last six digits from the vin
Old April 11th, 2020, 11:22 AM

It's a perfect match ! You have yourself an original trany.
Old April 13th, 2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 4speed455
Those look like matching numbers to me. Remember they only stamp a vin derivative not the entire vin.
3= Oldsmobile
0= 1970
E= Linden New Jersey plant
170088= last six digits from the vin
I'm overjoyed to hear that some part of the powertrain is original. thank you for finding this out for me, I really appreciate it!
Old April 13th, 2020, 11:19 AM

Not only is it original, the OD tag proves that it is a true SX.
Old April 13th, 2020, 11:49 AM

Great find! SXs are great sleepers. My '70 C/S 'vert was also Rally Red, although it was a re-paint over the shade of green that damn near every '71 Impala had. vette442's photos are bringing back memories. Mine had SSIII rims w/ bolt-on centers, black top, black interior / carpet, but just a 2-bbl 350 / TH350. It was my first 'vert, would've kept it if it wasn't for my crazy-ex's threats to cut the top off.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; April 13th, 2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old April 13th, 2020, 07:19 PM

Luckily for me I don't have any crazy ex's haha. sorry that you lost your first convertible because of them. I'm a huge fan of those SSI Rims though! They are such a perfect mix between chrome and black, not too much of either color
Old April 13th, 2020, 07:23 PM

I had no idea that OD was exclusive to the SX. This is a lot of good news in one day . If I end up not being able to find the build sheet at least I'll have that tag as proof. Where did you find out that OD was a telltale sign of an SX?
Old April 14th, 2020, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by nexo4
I had no idea that OD was exclusive to the SX. This is a lot of good news in one day . If I end up not being able to find the build sheet at least I'll have that tag as proof. Where did you find out that OD was a telltale sign of an SX?
I think the Chassis Service manual lists the OD trans as only used in the base 455 in A bodies
Old May 11th, 2021, 04:15 PM
Banned

Any update on this car?