The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Convertible hydraulic motor

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2013, 05:35 PM

Convertible hydraulic motor

Anybody know how to check and top up the hydraulic pump for a 68 cutlass? Mine hits a "dead spot" going up/down and someone told me to check the fluid level because the electric's are working ok. I know its behind the back seat, and I'm guessing there's a reservoir, but do you need to bleed the lines?
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Once you find the pump and motor (it should be behind the back seat) follow the hydraulic lines from the lift cylinders if you can't find it. There will be a reservoir attached to a pump motor. On the reservoir there will be a rubber plug, fill it there with the car top at it's lowest point (top down). use a bunch of rags before you make a mess. The system will bleed it self as you use it.

Is there a noise change when the motor/ cylinders stop moving up?.....Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; May 24th, 2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:11 PM

Hey Ted, thanks for the response. Yes, the pump sound changes as the movement stops.. It goes from the familiar "whine" and motor slows down. It tries to run, but doesn't seem to have the poop to do it.

I worked on the cylinders back in the early 80's to seal a leak. I remember the motor was behind the back seat on the driver's side but can't remember if I had to refill or bleed the lines. 30 years is a long time.

Thanks again for the info. I'm getting the old girl in shape for a 4th of July show in Santa Fe.
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:30 PM

If you have air in the lines you would be able to see bubbles in the lines especially when the pump is operating. My pump doesn't have a seperate reservoir, just a plug right on pump. Filling can be tricky.
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:18 AM

Thanks Beob

Thanks for the suggestion Beob. I'll be popping the back seat out tomorrow to see what's going on.
Old June 16th, 2013, 04:50 AM

Convertible top pump

Hello guys i was has similar problems with my top also, mine would go back and me and my son had to help it up. Well i removed my rear seat found the rubber plug and as i was removing it i was tring to come up with a way to add fluid without losing most of it. So i walked in the kitchen (Wife is at work). So i ramble through the drawers and i find a extra turkey injector so i get a plastic cup pour the fluid in the cup and draw the fluid up in the injector hold a paper towel under it stick in the pump and it worked like a charm. No mess but it took me awhile to do it. Top goes up and down great..
Old June 16th, 2013, 05:56 AM

I recently did mine and I have a few of those small oil bottles that you find usually on a counter at parts stores with a general use oil in them. I find these small bottles very useful for this kind of thing or for priming a carb with fuel as the top fits into most carb vent tubes.

I also made a pan to put under my pump, (I pulled the pump up from it's rubber mounts) that pan was cut about an inch tall from the bottom of a antifreeze jug. Did not spill any on the car.
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:15 PM

Hey all, thanks for all the great input. One last question: do I use brake fluid or trans hydraulic fluid?

Jimmy C
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:59 AM

Hydraulic fluid
Old June 25th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy C
Hey all, thanks for all the great input. One last question: do I use brake fluid or trans hydraulic fluid?

Jimmy C
Use what is in there now and don't intermix or bad things will happen. Usually you can smell break fluid if it was used last.Most more modern systems are now filled with hydraulic fluid but in the past brake fluid was used commonly.... Tedd
Old June 29th, 2013, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Use what is in there now and don't intermix or bad things will happen. Usually you can smell break fluid if it was used last.Most more modern systems are now filled with hydraulic fluid but in the past brake fluid was used commonly.... Tedd

Thanks for the heads up Ted. I'll make sure to use the right fluid. Car is going into the shop for new exhaust system, so I'll get to it in about a week.