The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

'69 442 interior color

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2010, 08:58 PM

'69 442 interior color

My '69 442 has the M30 Red interior color. I pulled the entire interior and cleaned, prepped, and painted all interior plastic and vinyl pieces. My problem is that my dash (painted with Year One vinyl dye) looks almost purple when compared to the dash bezel (painted with Year One plastic paint). I checked the colors, and both containers say M30 Red. Are they supposed to be different colors or what?

I haven't painted the metal lower dash yet since I am not sure of the dash pad color. I really dont want to pull the dash again to repaint!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN3362.jpg (60.4 KB, 41 views)
DSCN3363.jpg (45.5 KB, 35 views)
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Either your original colors have changed hues over time exposed to UV rays, OR the Year one paint was the wrong shade, OR both!
How did the pieces you painted look in areas that were hidden from sun exposure? That would tell a lot...
The new paint seems to match the door panels. I do know that on my car, the dash and its parts is a different shade than the vinyl and armrests, and kickpanels, etc.

I tried a can of Year one "saddle" color dye years ago and it was way darker than my original factory color (dash or trim). I had to get costly custom matched stuff, AND remix it / spray it twice to get it to match and look right.
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM

The sun really took a toll on the dash. Here are some before and after shots. The dash was very faded and had an almost purple-ish color before I painted it.

When the car is in the garage or in the shade the color difference isn't noticeable. When the car is in the sun it is noticeable.
Attached Images
Various Pics 125.jpg (56.5 KB, 18 views)
Various Pics 126.jpg (35.6 KB, 28 views)
Various Pics 128.jpg (71.0 KB, 21 views)
Various Pics 137.jpg (50.3 KB, 26 views)
Various Pics 138.jpg (61.2 KB, 27 views)
Old July 12th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Past Administrator

No answer to your question but a comment. I think the darker shade you saw as purple was the darker foam showing through the surface color. It sounds like you may have to go the route Rob took to get a perfect match.
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:08 AM

Rereading this make it look like the vinyl dye and the plastic paint were different colors, even though they came from the same place with the same code.
Different formulations perhaps. Not an acceptible answer but that is what looks to have happened. I was not too happy with my Year one paint either.
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Rob,

What company did you end up using for your interior paint? I know that you had some custom paint mixed but which company has the most accurate color selection?

Thanks,

Mitch
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:36 AM

I had the local English Color color match some SEM water-based "Surecoat" that I used on the plastic parts. Just take in a sample of a color you want them to match. 50 bucks a pint tho... :O
Problem I had with it is that it had very poor adhesion. The datasheet for the stuff was not too accurate by not stating that an adhesion promoter should be used on pretty much everything first. It only recommended it for several plastic types.
I applied it over existing Year one paint and the SEM peeled like a banana. Maybe the AP would allow better bonds (Unless maybe armorall was on there before...)

You could have paint custom matched to whichever color you like better and just repaint the color you do not like. I bet that will be a PITA though...