The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

62 Olds F85 Cutlass Coupe

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2013, 11:54 AM

62 Olds F85 Cutlass Coupe

I am new to this site and trying to learn my way around it. I came on here because I have a 1962 Olds F85 Cutlass Coupe with the 215 V8. My dad purchased this car over 25 years ago when I think I was only 4. He did a few burn outs infront of our house and parked it. There it sat until I turned 15 and decided that I was going to get this classic car back on on the road where it belongs. I pulled the engine and brought it to a shop. I had it gone through completley costing me about $3,200. I then brought the 4speed automatic transmission to a shop and had that gone through and rebuilt. I put everything back in and got it running. It still had the quadrajet 4barrel carb on it. During this time I lifted the car and learned how to fix drum brakes, replaced the universal joints, dropped the gas tank and repaired it, pulled the gross smelly carpet out and painted the floors. I then went and found the collector plates for the car so I wouldn't have to buy tabs for it anymore. Finally the engine came back and I got it back in the car and got everything running. I drove this to schoool for the first time my Jr year. Me and a couple buddies where the only ones with old cars everyone else was driving there damn Honda's. Anyway I ended up taking off the single exhaust and running dual exhaust straight out the back with only glass packs, needless to say it was loud. I loved it as the radio didn't work and I had no intention in putting a new one in and taking away from the classic look. I drove this all through High School and when I was headed off to College my mom said it was not safe enough to make the long trip. I was forced into a 1992 Toyota Corolla, ouch I know!!! While I was in College I bought a new Edelbrock Intake and 4barrel carb as the quadrapuke just wasn't cutting it for me. I got it put in during spring break, wow what a change. There it sat the rest of college. Now that I have graduated college, moved to Oregon, bought a house and got married I wanted to get back into this car. But as you can guess the wife wasn't to thrilled. I spoke with her dad who recently retired as a mechanic after over 40 years and towed the car over to his house. Since it had been sitting for so long again the batter was shot. We pulled it and put in a used battery that he had. We got it back running but things do need to be cleaned out and the carb gone through. I now have a beautiful 8 month old daughter who is my whole world. I don't have time to keep working on this project as many of you Dad's know. I don't want to just sell this to some kid who is going to wreck it I would like to sell it to someone who wants to finally complete the project. I have purchased the original color white paint for the roof and the original red paint for the body. I have all the chrome for this car but there is some pitting happening. The interior on the drivers seat is completley ripped and has a huge hole in it. The passenger seat is in descent shap and the rear seat is in good shape. I have new door panel covers that I purchased while in college that are in great shape. I also have contacted and found a warehouse here in Oregon that purchase the largest factory in Texas who still had Original Carpet and Interior. I have had them send me samples and it is dead on I am excited to have found the original color. I never could find this in High School or during College when I was still working on the car. Anyway it is time to let this project go to someone who is interested in finishing this amazing car. I would like to sell this as a complete car and not part it out so please let me know your offer. I can try to get some pictures together the next time I am over at my father in laws house. I am still planning on getting this running well so you can hear it and take it for a test drive. Please let me know if there is someone you might now that is interested in this car or if you are. All reasonable offers accepted. This is a straight car with a dent in the rear just below the bumber that can be taken out. Anyway feel free to ask me any questions and I will be happy to answer them as I want to see this project of mine go to someone who will enjoy it. I think I have found the right place here with all the Oldsmobile Junkies.
Old March 13th, 2013, 12:05 PM

you should post a location and quality pictures. do you have a price range you are looking to get?
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:10 AM

Hi There,

Sorry I am new to this site and haven't had time to get everything updated quite yet. I live in Hillsboro, OR but the car right now is at my Father in Laws place in Tacoma, WA. Hagerty under 4 condition is $5,700 so I was hoping to get like $4,500 since the interior is shot on the drivers side seat. Are you interested in the car?
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:07 PM

I can't take on any more cars right now.
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:19 PM

I understand, do you feel my price is resonable? Also since it seems like you have been on this site and know it well could you give me pointers on where to go to post my car for sale? I am going to work on getting pictures the next time I go to work on the car as I know everyone including myself if I was interested in a vehicle is going to want that. Is there anyone you know that might be interested? Any help that you can provide is much appreciated.
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by RyanFleming
I was hoping to get like $4,500 since the interior is shot on the drivers side seat.

do you feel my price is resonable?
I'd say your price is a bit strong.

Collector Car Market Review puts the value more at about $2900.

http://collectorcarmarket.com/menus/.../62olf-85.html

Looking at their "condition guide", with an interior that needs to be redone, a dent, pitted chrome, etc., I would say yours is in #4 condition. Maybe between 3 and 4 depending on other aspects. So maybe your price is ok to start, but don't be surprised if you need to lower it to generate interest. Don't fall into the trap of assuming that its value is related to what you've put into it. That's never true in the old car world. The marketplace determines a car's value.

As far as where to post it here, the obvious place is in the "cars for sale" section.

As noted, photos will go A LONG way toward helping people see exactly what you have and deciding if they're interested. The phrase "a picture is worth 1000 words" was never more true than when it comes to selling cars.

Last edited by jaunty75; March 14th, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:36 PM

The biggest problem you will find is the desirability. There is not a real big following for this car. (Including reproduction parts as you found out) My wife and i have a 62 Jetfire, they are the same as the Cutlass but with a turbo and some other trim upgrades. We love these cars but not sure how many feel as we do. I would list it here in the cars for sale section and see what happens. I don't like eBay at all but that may be a good place to list it.
Old March 15th, 2013, 12:51 PM

I really appreciate all your help and direction. I am totally on the same page that a car is never worth what you have into it. I was looking at Hagerty at the value they had listed and it seemed really high to me that is why I said over a $1,000 less. I would be happy with $2,500 to $3,000 really. I am on the search soon of where the cars for sale page is on this site. Like I said haven't had a lot of time to search around this site much. I guess I could always look at the option of parting it out as we both know it is hard to find parts and maybe that is a direction to go. I really hate doing that as I would love to see someone complete the project but it really is up to the demand out there.
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:02 PM

As has been said, pic's will go a long way. I'm in San Fran bay area, and have had a few of these cars. They sure are a neat car. pic's will help you alot.
I have a couple of those 215 aluminum engines. Just a neat little engine.

Gene
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:30 AM

Are you interested in the car once I can get some photos posted?
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:54 AM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome, sounds like a nice car. Hopefully it will sell when you load some pictures. I have had good luck with Craigslist too so that is another place you can list it.