General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1967 Holiday Coupe vs Sport Coupe

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2021, 05:20 AM

1967 Holiday Coupe vs Sport Coupe

I know the difference between the holiday coupe and the sport coupe being the pillar or no pillar. Does anyone have pictures of the two side by side with the windows rolled up? I think the sport coupe has two strips of metal frame between the front and back window, and the holiday coupe only has one. Can anyone confirm this?
Old May 30th, 2021, 05:40 AM

Holiday and sport.....

Old May 30th, 2021, 08:30 PM

Sort of true. On the sport coupe there is a solid pillar (the B pillar) running up from the floor to the roof, where as the holiday coupe B pillar only goes up to the belt line. The rear quarter windows roll up into this while the big side windows have full frames like a 4 Dr sedan. When all windows are down you still see the B pillar.
The 2dr post cars are more rare than hardtops I think. I had a 66 F85 sport coupe back in late 60s, really wish I hadn't let that one get away!
Old May 31st, 2021, 04:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

A sport coupe/club coupe has a metal frame welded to the door that supports and seals the window.
A holiday coupe (hardtop) does not. The window is cantilevered from the door shell. The seal is on the roof rail. The window mechanism and guides are completely different as a result.

This is a sport coupe door. Note the window frame.

Here is a hardtop door shell.

Old May 31st, 2021, 09:32 AM

As for the terms, the Holiday Coupe is what is generally called a hardtop, and the Sport Coupe, while informally a post car to us, is a 2 door sedan.

The Holiday Coupe is specifically a "2 door hardtop" because there are "4 door hardtops."

GM, I believe, tried to count post cars as hardtops in the mid 70s, I guess, to make them cooler.
Old May 31st, 2021, 09:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
The Holiday Coupe is specifically a "2 door hardtop" because there are "4 door hardtops."
Which are called Holiday Sedans

GM, I believe, tried to count post cars as hardtops in the mid 70s, I guess, to make them cooler.
There as a big whoo-ha when the colonnade cars came out for the 1973 model years. GM had done away with true hardtops in the restyle both to comply with the anticipated federal rollover requirements (which also temporarily killed convertibles) and more likely to eliminate the time and labor needed on the assembly line to get the hardtop glass to line up and seal properly. In it's infinite wisdom, GM claimed that "hardtop" really meant that there were no metal frames around the door windows, despite the fact that the colonnade cars still had full B-pillars. Kinda like Mercedes calling a four door fastback a "coupe"...