The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1965 olds dynamic 88 convertable

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Herm

1965 olds dynamic 88 convertable

Hello everyone; I have just joined the site and its amazing at all the information here to help people restored the classics! I have a very interesting post here. Has anyone have any good information on the vacumn routing for the heater/ air conditioner control unit thats mounted in the dash? There are vacumn hose,s running everywhere and having the shop manuel does not show it quite clearly. Also would anyone have a lead on where I can purchase new vacumn motors for heater box thats under the dash? My unit has 3 vacumn units and they are no longer servicable. One good thing about the old cars; can always do a temp fix to get heat flowing again for awhile; any information would be helpful. Herm
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:11 AM

Welcome to the site! Please post pictures of your car when you have time.

Sorry, I don't know much about your vintage/model of car. Hopefully someone who does will speak up and help with your questions.

John
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Herm

Pictures are posted; another good question. Does anyone know where I can find a glovebox liner for this car? its like hen,s teeth to find them in good condition; otherwise I may have to make one out of steel! If anyone has a lead on vacumn motors would appreciate some feedback. Yesterday spent all day troubleshooting how the system works and sometimes that what it takes and figure out how and the whys. Also it helps to have an external vacumn source; a vacum pump that I use for the air conditioner works great and it allowed me to test each system on the heater control unit in conjunction with the service manuel so finally figured out how the darn thing works. NOw all I need is new vacumn units that fit the heater box. The toughest one is located in the heater unit next to the passenger side. its mounted outside under the box yet its attached to an arm inside the car! Brilliant thinking on GM!.
Old October 14th, 2012, 05:52 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! You're in the right place for info, I'm sure someone will chime in here to help you.
Old October 6th, 2021, 06:05 AM
Herm

Horn button for steering wheel

Does anyone know where I can get a horn button for a 1965 dynamic 88 steering wheel or a steering wheel with a good horn button ? I,ve tried several listed buttons and they all are either to short and does not make contact on the slip ring in the column. Any advice would be helpful.
Old October 6th, 2021, 06:27 AM

I've got a cracked wheel with a good horn button. I'm pretty sure its correct for your application. I'll get some pictures for you.
Old October 6th, 2021, 08:36 AM

Not my area or vintage of expertise but have you gotten a catalog (also online) from Fusick Automotive Products ? They are a good source of parts for Oldsmobile and their customer service is very good. And as second thought maybe someone with a Hollander could cross-reference any numbers on your vacuum motors and find something that is still a viable maybe from another GM car. Fusick may also have a glove box liner you are looking for, they do for the earlier stuff..... Good luck in your quest, often this part of the build is as fun as putting it back together. Kinda a grown up version of an Easter egg hunt...... Tedd
Old October 6th, 2021, 09:05 AM

Here's the one I have. Price is $20 plus shipping from Medford Oregon. You can have the whole wheel, or I can just ship the center and horn bars if you'd like. John

Old October 7th, 2021, 02:29 PM
Art S

Originally Posted by allistar1
Hello everyone; I have just joined the site and its amazing at all the information here to help people restored the classics! I have a very interesting post here. Has anyone have any good information on the vacumn routing for the heater/ air conditioner control unit thats mounted in the dash? There are vacumn hose,s running everywhere and having the shop manuel does not show it quite clearly. Also would anyone have a lead on where I can purchase new vacumn motors for heater box thats under the dash? My unit has 3 vacumn units and they are no longer servicable. One good thing about the old cars; can always do a temp fix to get heat flowing again for awhile; any information would be helpful. Herm
Welcome to the site.
Any possibility of getting some pics of the unit under the dash? looking at it in the dash from the front it looks similar to my 61.
Old October 8th, 2021, 01:38 PM

A few pictures of the backside of the wheel where the wire comes through as requested by the OP

Old October 10th, 2021, 01:22 PM
Herm

Thank you for the pictures. Sorry but it will not work the copper button that makes contact with the slip ring is missing
Old October 11th, 2021, 10:47 AM
GCH

Hi , did you find vacuum units to your car ?

Old December 8th, 2021, 05:01 AM
Herm

Sorry for the super late reply still trying to locate units extremely hard to find them in good condition. For now I have the vacuum system to the heater controls hoses plugged to prevent leaks