The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1960 oldsmobile dynamic 88

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM

1960 oldsmobile dynamic 88

Hey guys. I'm Bryan. I just recently aquired my grandfathers olds. It is a one owner car. And is in decent shape. Engine is tore apart and has been for many years. Hopefully it'll be rebuildable. Master cylinder is locked up so have been trying to figure out best way to get it outta the shed its in. Any ideas?
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:17 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Is the master cylinder locked up, or are the wheel cylinders locked up?

If you can unscrew the bleeders on each wheel, it will release the pressure on the wheel cylinders, if it is due to the insides on the brake lines having swelled.
Cutting the lines will also do this.

If it's been sitting a long time, though, the shoes may just be rusted to the drums.

- Eric
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:49 AM

My gpa before he passed said it was the master cylinder. I know this car has sat for over 20 yrs so could be multiple things. And I'm prepared to get a Lil dirty lol. And the rocker arms were initial reason the engine was tore apart. I'm pretty stoked to be the lucky one to recieve this car. It's a real beauty in my eyes. Ive had my eyes on this car for the last 15 yrs at least lol
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:27 PM

most likely the brakes are locked. if the master was holding the brakes on (unlikely after this many years) they would not have gotten it in the shed in the first place. if there is not enough room to work on it in the shed just hook a chain to the frame and drag it out. if you can wet the floor down it will drag out pretty easy with a good truck. I have had ones that after being dragged a short way the wheels started to turn. good luck and get some pictures of it.
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If the shoes are rusted to the drums, you could also just reach around and unscrew the adjusters (which you'll need to do to get the drums off sooner or later anyway), after which, as Compedge said, a good drag will probably break the drums free.

- Eric
Old April 2nd, 2012, 05:54 AM

Don't forget to take pics every step of the way, like as soon as you get it out of the garage and before you give it a good wash. I was in a similar situation as you and didn't do that and regret it.

Justin