Front hub & seal situation '68 442

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2015, 05:17 PM

Front hub & seal situation '68 442

Just looking for opinions, and possibly a part if the wind blows that way.

I'm refreshing the front of my '68 442 and have discovered that it has some Buick components/part numbers mixed in with the Olds (steering knuckle arms). In addition, one of the Olds hubs has had the inner seal area machined out from the Olds dimension of 59.08mm +/- .002 to the Buick dimension of 60.91mm +/- .002. The spindle dimensions and inner/outer bearings match up correctly. I already have the Olds seals. They are too loose, by 1mm, in the hub that has been machined.

What do you think: just buy the Buick seal and log it for future reference? Or replace the hub with a correct Olds unit?
Old August 1st, 2015, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Do you have the old seal? There should be a pn on it.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 05:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

The hubs are functionally identical. Unless the part number differences are causing you to lose sleep (or points at a judging, which I really find hard to believe), just get the Buford seals and worry about the important stuff.
Old August 4th, 2015, 08:06 AM

Decision Time

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Do you have the old seal? .
Haha! Good one! No, I trashed the old seals upon removal... of course not expecting anything goofy. Joke's on me!

As I have gotten farther into this, I believe that my ride suffered some front/left crash at some point before my stewardship began. The left fender is a Cutlass fender that had the emblem piercings filled, with the 442 emblems double-side taped to the surface. The hub that was machined was on the driver side.

Looking back at old pics from before the tear-down I now realize the brake drum from the driver side was a Buick part - had the fins, rather than plain outer surface that the passenger side had. This also explains why the driver side ball joints had been replaced, while the pass side still had the OEM units, upper (riveted) and lower. I need to inspect the frame horns carefully and perform the frame "square" measurements.

I didn't notice anything untoward with the upper or lower CAs or mounting points on either side - no dents/dings/squishes. Those on the left were either replaced already or suffered no damage. Part of my refresh effort includes new bushings everywhere, so that is taken care of.

Thanks, Joe; I think for the seal I'll just install the proper fitting seal and make note of it for future reference.