Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2019, 12:59 PM

Starting issue

I have a 1972 convertible Cutlass with a transplanted 1969 350/Quadrajet. When the car is been started and is warm it will start up like a charm every time with no issues. when it sits for a few days or a week whatever it will not start even if I hold choke closed.
it only seems to respond if I prime it, or use starting fluid down carburetor, then it starts. any ideas?
kind of frustrated
thanks Charlie
Old June 30th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Do you pump the gas pedal once or twice before starting? Have you looked into the carb after its sat for a period of time and operate the throttle to see if you get 2 jets of fuel spraying in there?
Old June 30th, 2019, 06:25 PM

Embarrassed To say I don’t think have checked for fuel squirting in after car has been sitting.
I will definitely take a look that would probably start me on my way to a solution thank you very much!!!
Old July 2nd, 2019, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by chucky617
Embarrassed To say I don’t think have checked for fuel squirting in after car has been sitting.
I will definitely take a look that would probably start me on my way to a solution thank you very much!!!
As luck would have it a pipe broke in my basement and I had to put the Cutlass issue on the back burner but I’m gonna try to get over there today and look at it as you said and see if there’s any gas squirting In the car when it’s dry if there isn’t any what could that be?a leakage at the bottom of the carb?
Again thank you
Old July 2nd, 2019, 01:14 PM
Running On Empty

Additionally, there are two variations of the paper fuel filters: (1) With check valve and (2) Without check valve.
The check valve (contained w/in the rubber) at one end of the fuel filter also contains a small spring. This check valve prevents fuel from leaving the carburetor and returning to the fuel pump line - effectively retaining fuel in the carburetor. After sitting several days, the fuel can leave the carburetor and make it difficult to start. Once fired up, fuel remains in the carburetor throughout a normal driving day. Use the fuel filter w/ the check valve;
(3) There is also a fuel filter spring which must be installed. The spring resides between the carburetor inlet and the fuel filter - maintaining pressure on the fuel filter so as to keep the fuel filter sturdy. If there was no spring, or the spring was installed in the opposite side, fuel would then (again) return down the fuel line to the fuel pump after sitting several days. Ensure you have a spring and it's installed correctly.

>>>>> https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...barrel-136375/

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 2nd, 2019 at 01:17 PM. Reason: sp
Old July 2nd, 2019, 02:50 PM

Great information about the fuel filter. That could easily be the problem. I will check on it and let you know thank you so much for responding👍