Some progress on the 455!!

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
measure the water pump from the height and e-mail it to summit and they will tell you which is the right pump. you might
try http://www.rockauto.com/ for the part as well
Ok but i must first have the motor to do that i always thought it was 2dif.wp and 2 dif.pulleys?
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:07 AM

That's correct, you have to have a match set of pulleys to water pump. E-mail your engine builder he can tell you which water pump he installed it might me the correct one.
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:31 AM

Just run to the garage and looked at the old pulleys i have is a 3-groove crank ,a 3-groove wp,a 2-groove ps and 1-groove alt.maybe they´ll work after all?
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Ok the motor and trans arrived a few weeks ago,i installed the motor last weekend and to my surprise the motor sits higher on the drivers side, i reused the motor mounts and pads from the old 350 that came with the car but i never noticed that the old motor was sitting higher on the drivers side it looks to me the the driver side pad is taller?everything is bolted incl.trans what should i do now?
Old October 26th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Here is a few pics,would that be a problem if i leave it like that for now?i cant seem to find the right pad for the drivers side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0066.jpg (64.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0067.jpg (44.6 KB, 74 views)
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Just let some air out of the left side tires until you get a mount!

Mark is doing a lot of good things for us Olds guys!

Your combo's #'s are nearly a mirror image of mine, mine is great to drive on the street & should put down some decent passes once I straighten out my transmission & possibly a converter. I hope you are as happy w/ yours!

Last edited by bccan; October 26th, 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM

It won't hurt a thing one side being a little higher then the other. Get'er running
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:00 PM

In the pic, the frame pads don't look like they match, passenger side appears correct, but the drivers side looks like it's open on the end instead of solid. How 'bout another pic..
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
In the pic, the frame pads don't look like they match, passenger side appears correct, but the drivers side looks like it's open on the end instead of solid. How 'bout another pic..
Yeah thats right its a little higher as well and thats my problem lifting the motor on that side.
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM

The frame pads should be the same, or, at least the hole for the mount has to be in the same place, or the motor won't sit level. Any chance you have another frame pad you could try?
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM

The frame pads should be the same, or, at least the hole for the mount has to be in the same place, or the motor won't sit level. Any chance you have another frame pad you could try?
Unfortunately i dont have anything ,i had to order almost everything from the states (live in Sweden) and thats a big problem for my right nowi try to save this car from the salvage yard but it has cost me an arm and 2 legs + a lot of job
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:19 PM

Are the mounts identical? Did you inspect the welds on the front crossmember before you dropped the motor in, I've seen broken welds on more than one Olds. I'm just searching here...
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:23 PM

Are the mounts identical? Did you inspect the welds on the front crossmember before you dropped the motor in, I've seen broken welds on more than one Olds. I'm just searching here...
Yes the rubber mounts are the same,i inpected the hole front end because i´ve put new bushings and ball joints everywhere

Last edited by panos; October 26th, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old October 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM

Ok i found some low pads from a guy that swapped a chebby motor to his olds for 60bucks anyway i worked on the car until now and almost everything is in place and the motor level i had to "massage"the header on the passenger side a little but it did fit at the end (hedmans) Im gonna try to install the radiator tommorow so i can start it up and fill some fluid in the trans and look that everything else is ok and nothing is leaking.A small problem i have is that the old oil dipstick was broken and the new chrome one ive got fits loose all the way to the "stop".
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:53 AM

Ok i started today here is a small vid from my mobile,the poor phone didnt catch the open headers sound to well lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPpkCmawtEY
Old October 31st, 2010, 02:43 PM

Congrats, one step closer to cruising.
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:03 AM

Congrats, one step closer to cruising.
That thing is a monster!! my plan was to get her running to check everything before i put the fenders back on but that thing was so loud that my windows in my garage start to shake and i couldnt even hear my own voice in there so i had to shut her down after 2min. It has some amazing throttle response though
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:37 AM

Need to run her for a minimum of 20 minutes for the cam to break in correctly. Don't want to do damage to a new cam
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:39 AM

Need to run her for a minimum of 20 minutes for the cam to break in correctly. Don't want to do damage to a new cam
I have a roller cam in it
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM

Great news, you had me concerned. Glad your happy with the new engine. Let us know when you get it on the road.
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:38 AM

The car is together now after many late hours in the garage due to i was all alone with any help whatsoever and that wasnt easy believe me!
Took it out for a first spin last night but i still have to fix some minor issues,the gen.doesnt want to charge and the engine stalls sometimes on idle but i think it is because is running a little fat + the generator problem so it doesnt get enough juice.
Other than that the only word i can describe it is "beast" that thing revs like is no tomorrow and is hard to keep it straight through all gears (i have a "no slip locker with 3:36 gears ) wow im really impressed with that thing .

Cutlassefi can you hear me? lol
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Great job... I understand the need to tear it out before its ready for the street. I ripped around the neighborhood in mine with no interior or glass or mufflers and just sitting on the floor. I wasn't comfortable with sitting on anything because with a 4 speed I was afraid if I slipped back I couldnt push the clutch. Great job sir!:-)

Last edited by 442_Mustang; November 14th, 2010 at 06:12 AM. Reason: bad spelling....
Old November 14th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Congrats Panos, that first drive is the best of them all. Bet you went to sleep with the grin still on your face
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Congrats Panos, that first drive is the best of them all. Bet you went to sleep with the grin still on your face
Im back now again,i must be the most unlucky guy in the world after i picked up a friend for a drive i started smelling burnt oil i stopped and looked under the car ,the round cover on the passenger side of the trans wasnt there anymore (accumulator?) and fluid came out of there,how the heck could that happen?
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:56 PM

Car is almost done for summer cruising! just a little body work left (rust) ,engine bay cables has to look a little nicer ,change the steering column and maybe 2 new sits on the front
here is a little clip after adjusting timing a little nothing special.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVIQk8a0x50
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:40 PM

That's cool man.

It's kinda funny to me to be watching that video and thinking "that's an import". LOL!!
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:02 AM

Sounds super healthy,

My 455 for the 48 is still in the machine shop, gonna stop by today and see how he is doing on it
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:10 AM
NOVICE car nut

Supposedly I have a 400hp 455 out of a 68 Toro , from what I remember the lowest hp rating that year in the Toro was 375hp.....how is this possible ? it looks like you have to build a motor pretty much to get that kind of hp , so how could mine be 400hp stock?
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
Supposedly I have a 400hp 455 out of a 68 Toro , from what I remember the lowest hp rating that year in the Toro was 375hp.....how is this possible ? it looks like you have to build a motor pretty much to get that kind of hp , so how could mine be 400hp stock?
Back in time there was different ways to mesure hp wich they were quite optimistik if you compare them with todays ratings.

http://ateupwithmotor.com/automotive...orsepower.html