Dash Gauge Specs

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2018, 02:14 AM

Dash Gauge Specs

So, I'm looking at the forums and came across an amazing build (linked below):

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...resto-mod.html

I LOVE his gauges, they look amazing! I want to use these same gauges on my 1970 Olds 442. My question is, would I go with the 4", 4.5" or the 3 3/8" gauges?

I'm pretty sure I need the 4" like he purchased, but I wanted to ask just to be sure. I would hate to spend all that money for the wrong sized customized gauges!

Thanks for your time!!

Ray
Old January 14th, 2018, 12:55 PM

I can't help you with the size needed, but to give you a reference the ones in the picture below are 3 3/8" mounted in a custom panel.

You'll be happy with the Speedhut Gauges. I had them in my Cutlass for two years. I really liked the look and the ability to choose the exact look you want.

After two years I ended up switching to a set of Dakota Digital VHX. The maing reason was that I was having trouble reading the temperature gauge with the Speedhut set. I blame this on my choice of font and backlight colour (the darker of the two blues offered). I was having overheating issues at the time and was watching it closely and often but it was difficult to read at night.
Old January 19th, 2018, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the reply car_designer! The gauges in the picture look great. I looked up the Dakota Digital VHX after your reply, and they look really good as well! Honestly, had I not seen the Speedhut gauges and their customization, I would go with the Dakota, no question!! In fact, it's still an option since they seem to be "direct fit", so no question with the size.

I’m looking at your custom panel and it looks like you have a lot more space between your gauges than I do. I have 2” between my center gauge and the two outer gauges, it looks like you have a fair amount more.

At one point, years ago, I purchased some American Muscle AutoMeter 5” gauges that were too big. I could tell without even pulling thed ash. Fortunately, they fit in my wife’s 74 Vette perfectly!

I think I’ll call Speedhut, maybe I can send them my gauge panel (should only be a few bucks shipping) and see if they can tell me what size I need. I’m pretty sure 4” will work prefect, but again, if I’m going to spend the money, I want to be sure.

Thanks again!!

Ray

Last edited by 1970Olds442; January 19th, 2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old March 8th, 2018, 01:18 PM

Did you send your panel to Speedhut? If so, would you share what you learned? I'm looking at the Dakota VHX series. I do like the look of the Speedhuts and the $$$.
Old March 9th, 2018, 10:31 PM

one thing to consider if you're going with custom gauges on a 70 - 72 is the location. I love the look of the factory original Ralley Gauge package but if you are really trying to use the tach it's in a terrible position to see the RPMs around the sport 442 steering wheel. May not be an issue for an automatic but when I got my custom gauges I relocated everything so I can see the RPMs on the tach as I'm banging through the gears:

cIsX2xp.jpg

this video shows the gauges better:

Last edited by 71 OLDS; March 9th, 2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old March 10th, 2018, 05:42 AM

I like your set up. What brand gauges and did they put the Olds logo on?
Old March 10th, 2018, 02:55 PM

They are Speedhut - I downloaded that logo from somewhere after trying about 100 different Olds ideas - using the design mode on their site. You can see the completed design on page 3 here:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ck-home-3.html