67 442 Front end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2023, 04:35 PM

67 442 Front end rebuild

Now that the rear is done. On to the front. You all know that things seem to snowball once you get started. The front drum brakes were basically all rusted out.

The power steering was functional but sloppy. So, this has also been removed.

Then we have the hard brake lines. Obviously, all along there were some issues, but here is where the sh$t hit the fan. Almost all the brass comp nuts were stuck solid. No amount of discussion (cussing) would convince them to loosen. You know what happens when too much pressure is applied to brass nuts. So, brake lines had to be cut. Now I will have to replumb the front lines as well as the front to back line. Not looking forward to that, I can tell you.

I cleaned up the a-arm chassis area, crossmember, and as much as I could reach around there.

In a year or so, I'll pull the engine for a rebuild. This will be done by someone who knows what they are doing, unlike me. It runs pretty well.
Then I can properly clean and paint the engine compartment.
I have new power steering components.
Other parts are trickling in so soon stuff will be installed, I hope.
Anyone know where I can locate the upper a-arm bolts? My OPGI order is on back-order. Several other parts suppliers are also out of stock. I did sandblast the old ones, but I would rather use new bolts.