455 Olds-powered C-10

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Futuramic Farm Truck

455 Olds-powered C-10

So I started off in the newbie forum and I wanted to move over here as I (slowly) make updates. I don't know if this is allowed, but if you want to keep up with non-Olds updates of my truck you can check it out here at Generation: High Output - Futuramic Farm Truck.

Tonight I yanked the heads off my 455. When I traded my 350 sbc for it, I made sure that the crank turned over freely, so I wasn't too concerned but tonight definitely took a weight off my shoulders.

Feel free to make fun of me for how long it took me to get the top end off, I like to spread myself thin with projects

Anyways, here's the pics (and here's my intro thread)

Last edited by Valkyrie; November 25th, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM

Hey.. nice find. I recently got a similar engine for my boat.. sort of interesting that I have a car motor I am building for my boat and you have a boat motor that you are building for your truck.

Good luck with the build, lots of resources around here.

Say.. what do you want for your exhaust manifolds and risers? Mine are bad so i need replacements.
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:45 PM

Oh.. I also have a full set of brackets and acessories if you are interested.

Where are ya located?
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Old School Olds

Back in the day we used to hunt down
old Chevy trucks with bad diesel engines.(Olds)
Cram a running Olds gasoline engine in them
with little work and back to burning rubber!
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Futuramic Farm Truck

Originally Posted by Radarman68
Hey.. nice find. I recently got a similar engine for my boat.. sort of interesting that I have a car motor I am building for my boat and you have a boat motor that you are building for your truck.

Good luck with the build, lots of resources around here.

Say.. what do you want for your exhaust manifolds and risers? Mine are bad so i need replacements.
Thanks, that is quite a coincidence. I have my manifolds and some of the other parts tied up in a trade for some 96-01 vortec sbc parts (my other two vehicles) if it falls through I'll let you know whats up first. You have my word.

Oh.. I also have a full set of brackets and acessories if you are interested.

Where are ya located?
Nice I just might be. PM me a price, I'm located in AZ.

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Yeah the frame on the trucks was largely unchanged from 63-87. I'm using the Olds diesel truck mounts for my build and eventually source a disc brake 5-bolt front end from a similar late model C-10. Thinking about running an 8.8" Explorer rear for the back end as well. Right now just trying to get it on the road, you know?

Thanks for the encouragement!
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:22 PM

Bah.. I dont need any cash for the brackets. Just pay shipping and you are all set. Here is a pic of the engine before I pulled it appart. Let me know what you need (excluding the long block) and we can work something out. brackets are light, so that is no sweat. Once you start talking manifolds and such, things can get expensive. I can probably get all the brackets in a flat rate box with USPS..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2012-11-03 14.45.14.jpg (188.1 KB, 40 views)
2012-11-03 14.45.01.jpg (196.8 KB, 35 views)
2012-11-03 14.45.24.jpg (207.3 KB, 35 views)
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:31 PM
72 Olds CS

wow valkery

that engine is really clean inside !! has it been apart before ? or is it low miles ?

radar I saw some boats manifolds for sale on CL I will try to find the ad...also I think it was John blu442 had some for sale
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Futuramic Farm Truck

Bah.. I dont need any cash for the brackets. Just pay shipping and you are all set. Here is a pic of the engine before I pulled it appart. Let me know what you need (excluding the long block) and we can work something out. brackets are light, so that is no sweat. Once you start talking manifolds and such, things can get expensive. I can probably get all the brackets in a flat rate box with USPS..
Well I've got a torker and I'm going to run a set of A-body long tubes (per Gene's instructions) so I'm set for manifolds but brackets would be great. I'm very interested. Let me know how you want to work it out so we can make it happen. Thank you!

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
wow valkery

that engine is really clean inside !! has it been apart before ? or is it low miles ?

radar I saw some boats manifolds for sale on CL I will try to find the ad...also I think it was John blu442 had some for sale
Thanks! I imagine it's been rebuilt before, but I've yet to dig around to get more details. The PO told me a story that he got the engine still in the boat and that it originally came from a car that the owner before him converted for marine use. So I don't know, lol. Apparently, the hull was so rotten that he just sawzalled it out of the boat at the points the motor mounts attached.

I'm still learning a lot about Olds motors to be honest as my passion for them is shared only by me in my family. My Dad (the only other car guy) likes motors that mark their territory apparently because he only deals with pre-roller sbc's and shovelhead harleys. So I'm not sure how good I'm doing with these dished pistons, I know that in any engine that they're not the greatest design to tame detonation, but neither is a 1960's chamber design. I'm trying to be practical though. The truck was purchased for $600 and it's goal is to be a budget minded street/strip vehicle.

Basically I'm going to start measuring everything soon and tear into the bottom end to see where I'm at.
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Olds Nut

Are you on 67-72 chevy forum? Also do you still have the GMC? If so i want to buy the doors?
Old November 29th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Futuramic Farm Truck

Originally Posted by m455sx
Are you on 67-72 chevy forum? Also do you still have the GMC? If so i want to buy the doors?
Actually the GMC isn't mine. It belongs to a member of 67-72 that I think goes by "old gearz" or something of the like. Last I saw of the truck it was on craigslist for $3400, not sure if he still has it. But, no I don't belong to that forum, though I do go there from time to time via google.
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
I had a '79 C-10 diesel. I pulled the oil burner and plopped a 350 Rocket in its place. I always wished I'd gone 455. A buddy of mine used a 403 in his. That one worked really well! Plenty of power and decent gas mileage to boot.

Last edited by Rocket331; December 31st, 2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: correction