1972 Cutlass Father-Son Resto

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:06 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Thank you so much guys!!! That's what I'm trying to go for. Within a year, I'll be moved out, and ready to do some work over on it over the time I'm in college. I want it to look nice, but also be driveable. Plus, all my money as well as my moms will be going towards tuition.
If I do a little body work that isn't necessarily long term, or the greatest of quality, it will keep her looking nice, as well as preventing the spread of rust. I was going to mask off where the metal/rust is at, and put some good quality clear spray paint over it. You cant get rid of the cancer when it's there, but you can slow its spread.
My main focus is doing the engine right. Getting all the mechanical aspects of it to be as dependable as possible. That's where my money is going.
I dont care if the paint or body work is a little off. I can wait until I'm older and have money to get brand new metal everywhere, and a nice house of colors paint job. .
Also, I just use sandblast as a broad term for "blasting". I need to fix that. xD. I know I wouldnt actually use sand, as it's really rough. Something finer, definitely. But I do really like that idea of renting some sanders and knocking it all down!! Heck, I even saw a guy on here who did a spray paint, paint job that looked damn professional! (Not saying I'd go that route, but it was pretty cool!)

Allan, motion graphics is kind of broad. I can either get in with news stations creating graphics like lower thirds, or intro's for new stations. Or I can go towards Hollywood, and help create scenes in movies. I can go to TV, and create commercials for companies. There's endless possibilities, and that's why I love the field. You aren't limited to one thing.

My girlfriend might get a nice '79 Camaro soon, so I can keep mine in the garage while we abuse her car with the winter weather. >.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Something you can do about the floorboard and trunk rust that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Buy some POR15 and go crazy with the stuff. Brush it onto all the rusted areas you can. It loves rust (claims it needs some rust on the surface to bond properly and stop rust) Just don't get any on you because once it's on it's not coming off for about 3 weeks. After the POR dries, you paint any exterior (exposed to UV) areas a coat of paint to protect the POR. It apparently breaks down with exposure to UV. Well, that's about the best short term cheap solution I can offer you right now. Wishing you success with all 3 of your projects:
The Cutlass
The motion graphics
The girlfriend (you can abuse her car, just don't abuse her - specially if she's 'keeper' material.
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Thank you! I'll go ahead and do some google searching on it, I might have a few more questions about it after I look it up.
It's weird. I had a REAL bad breakup a few months back. My current gf has been my best friend for 4 years. It's odd to think that I'm getting older now, and almost in college, and she very could well be an actual "keeper". Not just some high school relationship.
Nevertheless, thanks again for the advice and wishes!!!
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

- Here's some more pics! I know it's been awhile since I posted some.

C360_2012-08-12-12-26-19.jpg
C360_2012-08-12-19-00-47.jpg
C360_2012-08-12-12-27-18.jpg
C360_2012-08-12-12-28-20.jpg
C360_2012-08-12-12-26-40.jpg
C360_2012-08-12-19-00-40.jpg
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Rmsx327
Thank you! I'll go ahead and do some google searching on it, I might have a few more questions about it after I look it up.
It's weird. I had a REAL bad breakup a few months back. My current gf has been my best friend for 4 years. It's odd to think that I'm getting older now, and almost in college, and she very could well be an actual "keeper". Not just some high school relationship.
Nevertheless, thanks again for the advice and wishes!!!
Thanks for the pics! Later than sooner that car will be done and owe you it's life. If you have more questions, I know there will always be someone to help you get the answers or link you to a solution. BTW, you did an awesome job on those SSIII wheels. They really pop on the car, especially the rears since you painted the drums silver! Great job!

Sorry to hear about the breakup. I know how hard that can be. Been there done that, bought the t shirt. Hurts like hell and your mind plays sympathy/pity/anger/grief trips on you real bad and you lose weight and can't sleep right for awhile . Then that bad feeling inside gradually starts to go away. The less you think of 'her' the better.

The sooner you start paying more attention to the 'keeper' the better you'll be. If you've known her as your best friend for 4 years I'd like to suggest something to you. A 'wife' is more than a spouse. She's your lover, confident and 'best friend'. I'm no counsellor, but just a thought from me to you: Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Not all women are the same. Move on and move forward. Life's too short to dwell on the negative. There! I've put all those colloquialisms in order so it's your choice on what to do. I'm crossing my fingers that the new gf is 'miss right'. I'm not saying run out and marry the girl. You both will know if and when the time is right.

BTW, whats so odd that you're getting older? Most of us older people think we're getting younger!
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Thanks! It took awhile to get them perfect. I still sit out with some Mothers and polish them on the weekends. xD.

Yeah. It wasnt any fun. I wish people didnt have to go through it. But sadly, almost everyone does at some point. I talked with my grandma after it all happened, and she said something similar. I realized anyone who is capable of treating you like complete ***** doesn't truly care about you. No matter how many "sorry"s are thrown your way.

She isnt as attractive as the last, and she's different, but that's fine. We have similar background, family lives, and we can be ourselves around each other. Plus, she's ambitious and intelligent, which I find attractive! lol. She wont **** me over, is the big thing. I can trust her with my life. Sadly, some kids my age are stupid enough to marry. There were these juniors who, I **** you not, got engaged last year. (They hadnt even been dating an entire year....) Their parents let them, and the guy bought a ring and everything. o.0. I'm from this generation, and sometimes I have little faith in us. Other times, I feel were awesome.

I'm at the peak right now. A senior in high school. Preparing for college. Everything is becoming real, in a way. I've seen my cousins go off to college, and just saw my closest one graduate. I'm realizing that, even though I'm not "old", I'm getting older. With that comes a lot more responsibility, as well as many new experiences. I'm excited for the new chapter of my life, but obviously a little nervous.
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sounds like you have a lot of living left to do. Take this the right way? You and your generation also have a lot of growing up to do before you can take over where us old pharts left off. We were once like you and thought we had the world by the *****. College is a shocking reality, and the next most shocking reality is the job interviews and performance expectations.

re: your new gf? Yeah ditto. My ex was supermodel material. My wife isn't a supermodel, but she has the heart of an angel and the willingness to be there for me forever. Something I love and will cherish till either of us leave this world. Just be aware that when you hit college, your current gf could end up being an ex too. Although it's easy to say 'part on good terms', that's hard to do because one of you is going to have hurt feelings. Another of the challenges of growing up. Hang in there! It's ok to be nervous, but that's normal when you take on new challenges. It's because you're not quite sure how you'll fit in. I read that in Parenting 101 ha ha!
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

I'm on track to order weatherstripping this weekend, since the car desperately needs some; it's been crumbling away.
Also, I found the link you posted awhile back, Allan, in regards to the taillights. http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p2283.html. The points are a little picky, and my top left light constantly goes out. And whenever it is on, it is only for the main lights, and it doesn't work as a turn signal.
I was thinking of just replacing them all over the weekend pretty soon since around $5 a piece they aren't that pricey, and it makes sure cops don't have an excuse to pull me over. Then after that, I may get the LED bulbs that go into those double contact sockets.
Are there any other tail-light fixes/replacements that I should consider first? Because I know replacing those 4 sockets wont be an easy task.
Old September 24th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Replacing the sockets is a PITA! I'm right in the middle of doing all this on my car right now. The easiest thing you can do is remove the gravel guards, then undo the 4 bolts that hold the tail light assemblies in place. I recommend doing this simply because of how awkward the next step is.

The factory put some dialetric grease in the sockets to keep them from corroding 40 years ago. If you have failed tail light gaskets or the grease has dissolved over time? The first thing I'd do is try to clean the existing sockets and connectors.

The back of the socket has a boot over it. Wiggle the boot and it will release from the copper base. Then wiggle the boot back on the 2 wires. Once you have about 5" of wire, push the pigtails up through the top of the socket. The connectors will be easy to clean. Spray some degreaser down into the socket and clean with a tooth brush. Repeat till clean. Use compressed air to dry the socket. Then spray with electrical contact cleaner (nothing else) and seat the contacts back in the socket. Replace the boot to its original position on the back. Put a gob of dialetric grease in the socket and insert the 1157. Test to see if the light/brake/signal works.

I'm restoring my lights so I went the distance and disconnected the pigtail completely in the second shot. You can see how the boot wiggles loose in the first shot.

I took my bumper completely off to do all this work. Found it much easier to work with. All you need to do is release the harnesses in the trunk for the lights/tag/and backup lights. Then unbolt the 4 bumper bolts. Works better if someone helps you with the removal. If you don't have anyone, use a chair or bench under the bumper and undo the top 2 bolts last. I taped off my quarter to make sure the bumper didn't scratch it. I remember you don't have to worry about that yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2858.jpg (62.4 KB, 72 views)
IMG_2860.jpg (45.2 KB, 69 views)
IMG_2569.jpg (61.0 KB, 71 views)
Old September 25th, 2012, 10:33 AM

This has certainly come along well since I last logged on.

And it looks like your lower fenders/quarters are about as sturday as mine.

As far as advice on stopping the rust, sand/grind what you can, use naval jelly or whatever rust remove you like on anything else, and hit it with plenty of self-etching primer. It may look terrible, but at least you've stopped the rust and you'll be able to pick up where you left off when time and money allow.

Also good to see some other members from Indiana around here. Now I know who to hit up for parts.
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

I'm glad you've been doing it, good to have some help! I may tackle it pretty soon. Definitely going to refer back to your advice. I know I'll have some more questions. I'm tackling this whole thing blind now. No knowledge, just passion. But, there's something to be said for that! .
Another Hoosier! Woo! Lol. There's some pretty good parts here, actually. Theres 2 good steals up right now, if you're interested. An $1800 '72 supreme, and a '69 for $2400. Both run, but are definitely projects.
On a side note, I've realized this weird squeaking that I've tried to address. Looked for similar problems but they're all on new cars, and dont relate at all. (Definitely not my serpentine belt .) Every now and again, right after I've started the car, when I accelerate, squeaking comes from underneath the car. If I go up to 25mph or so, it stops. And also if I drive around for awhile, it stops. It's puzzling, and oddly enough, it tends to happen whenever it's humid, or the car is wet. Doesnt effect the driving at all, just an annoying squeak. But I want to know what it is, because you dont just ignore things on cars.
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Is it a squeak that increase with rpms evenly? Check ujoints, wheel and axle bearings, brake pads, and power steering pump. If it's a just a squeak from body motion, check bushings, ball joints, and body bushings.
Old September 27th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

It does increase as my rpm's do. If I go slow, it's more of a drawn out screeching, and faster is like a repetitive quick squeak.
Old September 27th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Administrator

I bet it's a ujont on the driveshaft.
Old September 30th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Got my hands on a nice camera from my photography class! Here's a few (big) pics in no particular order!! I apologize in advance if it's a lot, but it's easier to view than clicking on attachments!

DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg
DSC_0031.jpg
DSC_0050.jpg
DSC_0058.jpg
DSC_0047.jpg
DSC_0055.jpg
DSC_0425.jpg
DSC_0429.jpg
DSC_0424.jpg

DSC_0470.jpg
DSC_0457.jpg
DSC_0492.jpg
DSC_0490.jpg
DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0516.jpg
DSC_0504.jpg
DSC_0398.jpg

I made this one into a wallpaper if anyone wants it! (If only I had a re-chromed bumper, it'd look 20x better)

DSC_0416.jpg
Old September 30th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Looks like you'll have a fair bit of work ahead of you when you have the time/finances to finish tackling the project. As it sits right now, it's a drivable car - so enjoy it!

BTW, it looks to me as if the rear deck was replaced at some point in time. The Cutlass S deck didn't have that stainless molding - just the thin reveal lines like on the quarter panel sides. This came up in discussion on a different thread, so just passing info along.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

I know for a fact that my hood and deck lid have been swapped, and their are some other interesting things about the car as well. So it doesnt surprise me that isnt original! Good to know, though! Something definitely happened. Whether it was an all the things were parts of an attempted resto, an accident, or something....Idk! But I think it'd be interesting if I could find out. But I have no idea who the original owner was. It's only had 2 besides me. I'm sure I could track him down. I have the papers from a GE plant he used to work at that came with the car. xD.

Also! Here is a link to the sound the car makes.
Got 2 different viewpoints. First is from the backseat, turning at a stop sign.
The next one is pulling into the garage.

Last edited by Rmsx327; October 2nd, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Vrrooooom, vrrroooooommmmmmm!!! Skrrreeeeeeeeeeeeech.......
Thrum thrum thrum thrum......

Thought I'd post the sounds for the others since you didn't post the links...
Old October 2nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Fixed.
( I cant believe I did that! Lol. I think I got distracted by a car I found on Craigslist. )
Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok so I was right about the thrum thrum thrum noise. Sounds like your bushings and U joints are totally shot. The inside noise seems a little loud from the back seat. Have you checked or changed your differential fluid?

Oh, one other thing it could be. Check your fan clutch for the roaring noise
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:01 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

I figured they'd be. It's pretty loud from pretty much anywhere! Inside or out.
And no! I havent.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If you decide to change it, it's not hard and probably way overdue. Be prepared though, it smells really bad after 40 years in there. While you've got the diff cover off you can clean it up and paint it black or silver - pretty much whatever color you want. That will be a reminder that it's been done. You will need a new gasket - parts store - small change item.

If those are the original u- joints? I'd seriously consider just pulling the driveshaft and doing them off the car. They are plastic sealed from Saginaw if they're original and will need to be heated to get the plastic seal out. Then you can do a normal press and remove. Otherwise you'll be pounding on them forever with no results. Note: index your drive shaft to the yoke before you undo the 4 (7/16") yoke bolts. Also have a catch basin under the tranny spline. You will lose about 1 1/2 quarts of fluid when the shaft slips out of the tranny, assuming the car is level. I just did my drive shaft, but the u-joints are still like new and pivot easily and silently so I left them alone. My rear bushings were worn and they're being replaced when my differential comes back from getting the new carrier and gears/pinion installed and shimmed.
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:21 AM

Oh man the underside is looking rough. Might think about getting some POR15 treatment for it.

You'll definitely want to replace the bushings and ujoints. Hard to say about the diff fluid though. I know that was one of the first things I did on mine. It would howl like crazy at highway speeds. When I took the diff cover off it was about the consistency of pine tar. I actually had to scrape it out.
Old November 30th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

UPDATE.
I didnt do anything to the car after the u-joint problem, lacked the skill and resources to tackle such a big thing head on. So, I just drove her around the neighborhood once or twice a week for my own satisfaction.
Last weekend I drove it about an hour away to my uncle's shop. Cruised down the country roads beautifully, and the drive was really therapeutic. At his shop, it should be getting body work and a new paint job. The u-joints are already fixed, and a pretty snazzy all around tune up and fluid change. Along with front brakes replaced.
After this, I will get any pictures they took (if any) and post some of mine. Then continue to learn some more about the car while it's working and hopefully do some of my own work.
Sorry for the lack of content in so long! Not much I could do on the car. Plus, school is a priority. College is getting closer and closer everyday! :/.
Old November 30th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Way to go! The thing about playing with old cars is to just keep nibbling at it. I've been playing with mine for over 3 years now, work a little and then drive it some more. Some of these guys have been playing with their car for a lot longer. Look forward to the updated pic's.
Old December 1st, 2012, 08:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So your uncle has a body shop? That should work out great for you. Hopefully he sees the value of this from a family perspective rather than purely business. Would be uber cool if you were able to go to the shop (and help with some of the repairs as a learner) and take pics of the progress so you could post it here. I know that's a 2 hour round trip for you, but would be so nice to see how it's going from time to time. Did your uncle give you any idea of timelines or what kind of price break he could give you?
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
Dang Teenage Kid

I like tinkering with it. I now have basic knowledge of looking under the hood and identifying whats what. Never had much experience before that as opposed to "Battery. Motor and stuff." lol. I enjoy tinkering with it; so I will learn more as the time comes! That's the beauty of it.

My mom is managing the price thing. I think it was just what he pays them hourly, and no additional service charges or anything. They'll be doing it in their spare time, so he figures that way he's breaking even on them otherwise doing nothing, as well as cutting his nephew a break.
The time frame is...unknown. I go up there next weekend to pick the paint I want, hopefully. I will take pics when I'm there. I would love to go back and forth and check, but between only having 1 car, school, money, it's hard to make 2 hour round trips every weekend.

Still undecided on a color. But I have to keep the black vinyl top. I didn't want anything flashy like orange or blue because I'd stand out. But my friend pointed out I really cant stand out anymore than I already do in a car like this. haha
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Great news on the pricing. As far as color - with the black vinyl roof? I LIKE silver, but I'd change it up a bit from the code 14 to something a little brighter. You going to do base coat / clear coat or plain enamel?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:38 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Probably going to do base / clear. That'd be my preference anyways. And I'm feeling silver as well, just have to find the right one. I've also thought about a hugger orange, or the Le Mans Sunset like some 350z's have. Something to stand out a bit more. It'd look pretty mean with the black vinyl roof.
LSZ.jpg
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

May I suggest a 1978 Corvette Silver? Color looks awesome and pics up the contour lines on the car like you wouldn't believe! I've seen some 72's done in various shades of that orange/copper. Have you tried doing the car in photoshop to see what it would look like with different color combos?
Old December 4th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

I've photoshopped it a couple times. The paint is faded and doesn't have that...sheen. So it's hard to get a real nice feel for a true color.
I looked up the corvette silver. It seems to be mostly on the anniversary's so the two-tone is throwing me off on the actual color, but it seems just a bit off for my preference. That and maybe i just cant visualize the color on a cutlass from a vette.
I found this one quite awhile back, it made me first start thinking about silver. Seems a little lighter than the corvetter silve I was seeing.
OldsCutlass19684162.jpg

Last edited by Rmsx327; December 4th, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Go to my home page and look at the album for my car. It's done in Corvette silver and is the same year/model as your car. Just need to add the vinyl roof in the future. I have the trim, just need to pull the interior to drill the holes and fasten everything down.
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Ah, I see it better now. The orange is still nagging me, though! This is the only shade of orange I really liked on a cutlass, plus it pretty much matches what mine would look like. Except for the fact that it's a 442, AND a '68. Still would look basically much the same.

Old December 5th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Isn't that Tom's 442? Have to agree the color really pops even though it's not a 68 color code. Did you notice the chrome remote mirrors were from a later model B body?

EDIT: Nope, I forgot he has a 68 vert. Pretty much the same color though.

Last edited by Allan R; December 5th, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Dang Teenage Kid

I agree. It isn't original, but it sure fits well!
Hm, didn't notice it. Weren't the originals more circular as opposed to a rounded rectangle shape?
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Rmsx327
Weren't the originals more circular as opposed to a rounded rectangle shape?
They were actually more 'oval' shaped. The option was for remote controlled DS mirror. Standard mirror was similar shape but different housing. If you look at many of the early cars you will notice that most of them do not have a passenger side mirror.

I think the round ones you are referring to are more the style of the 69 HO. They looked something like this (photo from OPGI)
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Dang Teenage Kid

Sounds like I have that. Below is the only picture I could dig up.
I meant oval. You got me.
I've realized that! Most don't have the passenger side mirror. And the ones that do are normally aftermarket. I've found that I really don't need it though. The lines of sight are really good and if you look before you do things, it isn't a problem. It's a good habit to have, regardless of whether or not you have a PS mirror.
Untitled-1.jpg
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Looks like the only thing missing on that door panel is the pot metal trim plate for the mirror. They are repopped now if you've lost it or it was missing when you got the car.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:33 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Any chance you know where I could find one??

Got it back from the shop awhile back and she's been running perfectly!!! Just got back from vacation.

First drive in the snow was my finals week, and got to drive it the last day. Handled pretty well on the ice and snow. I also took her to a back road and tried messing around a little bit to get a feel for how it/I would react when I lost control; it was nerve racking to say the least, but I learned quite a bit. Better to learn where nothing can go wrong than at an intersection.
C360_2012-12-21-10-45-21.jpg

And also, I tried dropping the bumper today. No luck! :/ Tried and tried on those pesky rusted bolts. Used some liquid wrench, and got as much leverage as I could. Then I'd check back every few hours and try, but I didn't even get it to budge a centimeter.

C360_2013-01-02-18-08-12.jpg

As of now, all the lights work when I turn them on. But when I brake, it's still just the right side. As well as my turn signals.

Last edited by Rmsx327; January 2nd, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:51 PM

From someone who's battled rusted bolts on several cars, stock up on a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster or Kroil, maybe even loctite's freezing spray, and if need be, a propane torch. Couple that with a 24" breaker bar, maybe even a cheater pipe and you'll get things to budge one way or another.

...also be prepared for lots of broken bolts. Some are just seized so badly they'll snap before you could ever even imagine getting them loose. I always go nuts on the anti-seize when I put things back together.

Quick Reply: 1972 Cutlass Father-Son Resto