1966 F85 coupe frame off resto

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2013, 04:26 AM

1966 F85 coupe frame off resto

I bought my Olds last autumn and after driving it a few month and about 1000 miles I decide not to fix something every 2 weeks, rather I woll do a frame off resto. Everything will be new, every bearing, every cable, engine, tranny rear end......and so on.
Engine:
I decide to keep my original 330cui because it looks very good. Just new pistons, new valves, new camshaft and new sealings.
Transmission:
I will change from the 2 speed automatic to a 4 speed automatic or a 4 speed manual. It would be awsome to build in a 6 Speed BMW manual transmission but I´m not sure what to do...
Rear end:
Switch to 1:3,9

At the moment I´m busy with changing all the bearings, the steering and suspension rubber parts - all the small stuff.

Now I do have a few questions on you Olds experts:

- where do I get a used, good condition M20 Transmission including clutch, shifter "clutch housing" and all the other small parts.
- The cylinders look very good, no boring necessary. The heads also look good - just new valves. What high compression pistons should I choose? What camshaft should I choose?
- When I change the rear gear ratio to 1:3,9 is there anything else to to change than the 2 gears (found on OPGI.com)?

What do I use the car for: No drag, no strip. Just daily driving but with good accelaration. Top speed is not that important 100 mph is Ok.

Please give me some informations and some help. Thank you very much and do know that all the parts I order in the USA will cost twice, because of shipping and taxes

Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG-20130823-00188.jpg (87.5 KB, 74 views)
IMG-20130823-00189.jpg (57.8 KB, 72 views)
IMG-20130904-00211.jpg (90.9 KB, 68 views)
IMG-20130911-00212.jpg (86.2 KB, 73 views)
Old September 15th, 2013, 08:03 AM

Ok what are you changing the rear gear to? Posi? My guess is you meant to type 3.91? With the rear I would do a posi with gear upgrade as you will kick yourself for not doing it. Also you will probably need to change carriers anyway when you just in gears. Yes there are bearing and seals that get replaced when you rebuild the rear. Do it all at once because always happens something leaks and then you ahve to do it again.

Finding a 4spd on the cheap put a WTB ad on here and check your local craigslist and then ebay. YOu can find some good deals.

With a 200r4 find a good core local and have a local builder set it up for you. Cheaper usually than buying one offline with a customer service not close. Makesure its a BOP bell housing pattern and not a chevy one.

You can take a chance with jsut changing pistons but I guarantee there is where there. Take the engine to a machine shop an dhave them check it out. They will be able to advise you on if it truely only needs a hone and some new rings. If your pistons are not damaged no need to replace them unless you are trying to push big power which it sounds like you are not. A good machine shop will be able to guide you on what to do with the pistons/rings/block.

With the heads again take them to machine shop to have them tanked and checked for cracks and do a valve job. They can setup the heads for you and check that the springs are good and if the valves even need replaced. Don't spend money on parts that do not need replaced. When I had a set of heads done they cleaned/checked for crack/checked all the parts possible replacement/replaced valve guides with valve job and had them ready for me to pickup assembled. No valves or springs needed to be replaced. Only additional info needed was the cam specs.

The other guys can give you an idea of cams but depends on what your power goals are for the engine.

I would box the lower rear control arms if you are not going to replace them.

I can't wait to start on my 66 F85 when I get home but I will be doing the repairs/upgrades every month or so as I build up the parts needed!

Last edited by Magna86; September 15th, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Is the 330 a two barrel?-looks like low compression pistons? Just curious.
Old September 16th, 2013, 01:32 AM

No, a 4 barrel is installed! Compare the carburator with the manual - look the same as the 4 barrel.
Old September 16th, 2013, 01:56 AM

Yes, a 3,91. A posi will be a good idea, for sure. Of course I will change bearings and seals. Why change the carrier?

I will need new pistons, and the rings for sure. I dont want to push big power, just a little bit more than I do have now.
Of course I let the machine shop check the block and the heads.

My goal: 300+ hp, better acceleration, I don´t care about how much gas I need.

Complete new rear end is already in. New bushings.........everything

I also order the parts I need every two month - depends on how slowly I work
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:07 PM

Engine and other stuff is out now. Blasting the frame and paint it black.
New suspension front and rear next week. New differential and shocks and repaired and chromed brakes will come in October.
Attached Images
IMG-20130921-00217.jpg (81.8 KB, 28 views)
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Administrator

When you get your heads done have them mill them the difference between the new gasket and what the steel shim gaskets were, about .020. This would keep the original compression at 10.25. Also if your engine is the hi-comp, it would have been 310 horse power stock.
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
When you get your heads done have them mill them the difference between the new gasket and what the steel shim gaskets were, about .020. This would keep the original compression at 10.25. Also if your engine is the hi-comp, it would have been 310 horse power stock.
Thought about that. Will do that. Thanks
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:40 PM

Cheaper usually than buying one offline with a customer service not close.