Avg Shop Cost to install seat upholstery??

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2009, 12:47 AM

Avg Shop Cost to install seat upholstery??

I bought new PUI seat upholstery and cushions for front buckets and rear bench to restore my 442's interior.

I have pulled my passenger seat out of my 1970 442 and ATTEMPTED
to replace the upper section of the foam, and upholstery, and I think I'm definitely NOT the right person to do this kind of job.
I just can't get this to line up , even after trimming the foam down a bit to fit......it's just NOT working with me here.

So I'm curious what is the average going price for an upholstery shop to install my PUI seat covers front and back + new seat foams ??? I have all the parts, just no skill whatsoever in doing it. I've sat for 2 hours now trying to get the very first portion of seat one lined up and I'm about ready to give up on it.
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:23 AM

For a quality job done on just the front set, I would guess about 200-250 to strip it, sandblast it, paint frames, adjust springs, custom fit new foam where needed, lube tracks, and redo the headrests.
In other words, a complete restoration. Broke springs and such would be extra if they are found.

The back bench could probably be done by yourself. If not, 150-200 for a shop to do it.

My interior makover thread tells all the details of what I went through...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-makeover.html
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Well.....I guess I was right....
The 1st place that came HIGHLY recommended by my buddy's father
who deals with antiquated race Ferrari's and the like (should have known)
They just emailed me back. http://ogdentopandtrim.com/

We'd be happy to install your Olds PUI parts. We are a time and materials shop that charges $85 hr. We can predict the buckets to be about 1 day's labor. The rears, going down to bare springs, another 5-6 hrs. Please email your phone so we can discuss how much of the rest of the interior you'd like us to install. John Mayer
Over $1,000......

I have a set of hog ring pliers I bought from the same place + hog rings.
I think I'll try the rear bench on my own because even he said it's easy....but his version of easy being in the biz....I dunno.
Worth a shot.....I don't feel like Spending $1,000 just on labor....
I think I need to venture OUTSIDE of the Chicagoland area if I don't want to get assraped.

2 people so far on Nastyz28 also told me roughly $200-$300 for the buckets....this shop is saying $680
Maybe I should call Wisconsin or Indiana. Everything in the Chicago area is ridiculous.

Last edited by Aceshigh; July 15th, 2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Try calling Kim at SixtiesClassics in RedBud, Il. for a quote. 618-282-6560

Henry
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:08 AM

1000 is excess. My total job for seats only was about 450. I told the guy to take his time - i was in no hurry. He ran a small shop with low overhead, hense the lower price. Recovering seats takes skill but it is not rocket science...

Get a shop who will do it on a per-seat cost, not per hour. They will daudle forever if paid by the hour!

The rear bench you should be able to go yourself. After gaining those skills, you may try to do the fronts again.
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Well.....I guess I was right....
The 1st place that came HIGHLY recommended by my buddy's father
who deals with antiquated race Ferrari's and the like (should have known)
They just emailed me back. http://ogdentopandtrim.com/

Over $1,000......

I have a set of hog ring pliers I bought from the same place + hog rings.
I think I'll try the rear bench on my own because even he said it's easy....but his version of easy being in the biz....I dunno.
Worth a shot.....I don't feel like Spending $1,000 just on labor....
I think I need to venture OUTSIDE of the Chicagoland area if I don't want to get assraped.

2 people so far on Nastyz28 also told me roughly $200-$300 for the buckets....this shop is saying $680
Maybe I should call Wisconsin or Indiana. Everything in the Chicago area is ridiculous.
For that kind of money I would definitely do it myself. Get online and find a book on auto upholstery and make it happen! I did my seats front and back on my 70 Cutlass Supreme conv in about 1 weekend. Shop labor rates are brutal. One trick is to set the material out in the hot sun to make it stretch better for easier install! Good luck!
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Official Tire Kicker

I paid $640 for my front buckets seat material install, headrest repair, headliner install, vinyl top installation, door fuzzy installation, and repair to the bottom of the drivers door door panel.