Window cranks

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:57 PM

Window cranks

I bought some new window cranks off of E-Bay as I am restoring my 1968 Cutlass S to show quality and wanted to replace the window cranks so they had new chrome. Well lesson learned the hard way, these window cranks i have literally had to pound on with a rubber hammer and i am down to the last one on the drivers side and it will NOT stay on and will NOT reach the splines. Anyone have this issue and know what I need to do to fix it. Everything I've been through with this car and a simple thing like putting on window cranks is frustrating the you know what out of me. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Todd
Old September 23rd, 2014, 06:25 PM

Don't count on repro window cranks actually fitting...I believe Ames Pontiac sells a more correct part.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 06:45 PM

Damn it I wish I knew this earlier. I sold my originals for next to nothing as I had new ones coming, but they are crap. Live and Learn.
Anyone know of any where to get some decent fitting ones at a reasonable price please respond.

Thank you...Todd

Last edited by tcarroll; September 24th, 2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old September 24th, 2014, 01:51 PM

I read some where that if you shave some of the material off the back of the handle where it fits onto the regulator it will fit much better as they are to long. Has anyone else heard of this or better yet tried it?

Todd
Old September 24th, 2014, 02:13 PM

Yes, I've heard that can be done. You need to widen the slot the clip goes in the handle. You can use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to do that.
Old September 24th, 2014, 04:11 PM

I think you mean widen the slot where the clip goes in the handle correct?
Wouldn't that make it loose? i thought they just meant cutting back a little bit off the shoulder so it goes into the regulator farther?
Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks for getting back to me....T
Old September 24th, 2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by tcarroll
I think you mean widen the slot where the clip goes in the handle correct?
Wouldn't that make it loose? i thought they just meant cutting back a little bit off the shoulder so it goes into the regulator farther?
Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks for getting back to me....T

If it goes onto the regulator further wouldn't it require also having to widen the slot?
Old September 24th, 2014, 05:21 PM
1967 442

Not sure if this matters or helps your situation.....

I kept my original cranks and had the same trouble you are having a few weeks ago. The fisher manual shows the clip being pushed on toward the handle. It would not grab at all on the regulator. I ended up pushing he clip on away from the handle. It still took a bit of force to snap the handle on, but it snapped on.

I think the force was due to new door panels, spring between door panel and regulator and the new thick foam washer.
Old September 24th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Gary

I had the same problem when I did my 72. I ended up getting a different set from Fusicks and they worked fine. The ones I had gotten off Ebay seemed as if they were stripped.
Old September 24th, 2014, 06:33 PM

Thanks guys that is the problem I am having they seem stripped, I was thinking because they weren't going on far enough. There is only one proper way for the clips to go n thanks for that but that is not my problem. I will try widening the slot just for ***** and giggles and see what happens, if all fails I will buy from Fusick. Thanks guys.
I'll post my findingd after I try the bigger slot thing.....Todd
Old September 24th, 2014, 08:37 PM

It's true there are more than 1 prob w/ the cheap handles. Some don't fit the splines tightly, and some aren't drilled deep enough. Some the slots aren't in the right position. You have the spring pushing the door panel out. There are long springs and short springs. Sometimes you can remove the spring and they might fit. You might just be better off to buy a better set, they will look better, and fit better. But...yes...I THINK you cut the slot the clip slides in. To really figure out what's going on, you would have to take the panel off and see.
Old September 25th, 2014, 02:37 PM

I posted about this exact problem last Sunday, although you probably had already got the "new" ones. I always keep my old parts til I am sure all is good with the replacements. Now I know why Fusick's is a little pricier. One thing I have learned in all areas of life is that you get what you pay for.