Vinyl Top installation question

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Arrrggggg

Vinyl Top installation question

Is 300.00 for installation of a vinyl top average or? 3 of the 6 or so shops in Indy that are reputable want 300 or more to install a top if I bring them the top. Was just wondering if this is normal rates for installing. They said they would need a day to day and half to do the entire job.

Has anyone does this themselves? I am not sure I would want to risk trying to do it myself. Although it doesn't seem to complicated and it's straight forward. Glue, pull, tuck and put on trim. Hardest out of all of that would be pulling it right and getting it straight.
Old August 29th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That doesn't sound like a bad price for a professional installation. Plus you get warranty on their work. See this comment from another member: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post185891
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by Creativeindy
Is 300.00 for installation of a vinyl top average or? 3 of the 6 or so shops in Indy that are reputable want 300 or more to install a top if I bring them the top. Was just wondering if this is normal rates for installing. They said they would need a day to day and half to do the entire job.

Has anyone does this themselves? I am not sure I would want to risk trying to do it myself. Although it doesn't seem to complicated and it's straight forward. Glue, pull, tuck and put on trim. Hardest out of all of that would be pulling it right and getting it straight.
I was quoted 300-400 to install my vinyl top. I ended up doing it myself,I did not find it difficult. I don't think 300 is a bad price.
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:54 PM

One thing you might consider is that whatever shop does it for you can check to make sure there is no rust on the metal underneath. When I had the silver car painted, the painter ask me if it was originally a vinyl top car. I told him it was...he knew because where he had sanded down to bare metal on the top there were tiny little specs of rust starting.

He said vinyl top cars were notorious for it. He acid etched it before primer and paint. I'm just telling you because it might be something to look for as a MAW before you put the new top on.
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
One thing you might consider is that whatever shop does it for you can check to make sure there is no rust on the metal underneath. When I had the silver car painted, the painter ask me if it was originally a vinyl top car. I told him it was...he knew because where he had sanded down to bare metal on the top there were tiny little specs of rust starting.

He said vinyl top cars were notorious for it. He acid etched it before primer and paint. I'm just telling you because it might be something to look for as a MAW before you put the new top on.
Gotcha. This car is the 442 I just bought with a new paint job. Top was sanded, BC/CC etc. It's smooth and nice and I hate to even put a top back on it. I love the metal roof cars but whoever painted it and did the work left the top nubs and holes for the top trim so unless I want to drive around and leave it like this I have to put a top back on it.

So the price is ok so I guess I will go with the trim shop. I thought about doing it myself but at 220 for a top I don't want to screw it up. Like Allan said, I also get a warranty

Thanks for the feedback guys.