Trunk torsion bar question

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:29 PM

Trunk torsion bar question

First question.... is the trunk part of the "interior"? I wasn't sure where this belonged.

Ok, the real question is about the trunk torsion bars in my 71 Cutlass Supreme convertible. Mine were at their highest setting on both sides when I bought the car. Still, the trunk lid won't stay up.

No problem, I'll just replace 'em... WRONG. I haven't been able to find any.

So I pulled out the bars and came up with a patented trunk torsion spring reversing mechanism. It involves lots of duct tape and a few old brake rotors.

If that awesome plan doesn't work out, does anyone know where I can get some repop springs? Or even what type of steel is used in them?

Maybe I could get a set bent up at a local shop, if I could figure out what they are made of...
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:41 PM

I may have a set,but it would be best to figure out why they are not working, if yours are not broken. Can you get pics of the rods at the trunk hinge.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:49 PM

It sounds strange to say they wear out, but I have seen some that sag. There are probably several of us that have extra ones, so if JRVintage doesn't have an extra set I'd encourage you to create a parts wanted post. John
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Hey guys... Thanks for the responses. I'll take some pics tonight and I can put them up.

Yeah, I don't know if they are "worn out" but they are certainly somewhat bent. If you look down them long-ways, they are a little (very) crooked. They actually have a "wave" with a "crest" in the middle of them. Kinda' hard to explain.

I'll put up some pics later tonight.

As a side question, where do you guys get them? Also, are they different between convertibles and regular HTs?

Thanks!

-Mark
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:20 PM

i just took off a set from a convertible yesterday. mine were bent also. i didn't think they were that way originally but i don't know. they are not the same as hard top rods. i am not sure about the supreme rods but think they are differant also.
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:46 PM

Have a look at the attached images.

In the last two pics (on the right) you can see the bend in the rods. Number 3 has a pretty cool perspective and my third-grader style arrow in it. The other one shows my high-tech torsion bar straightener construction that is probably not going to work. Nothing like a little redneck engineering.

Regardless, I still have a couple of ideas that a neighbor gave me. He said that heating it up while held in reversed torsion might help. He also got me thinking that maybe I can make some alternative to the torsion bar ... maybe use some trunk struts ... not sure about that one yet.

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stra1.jpg (26.5 KB, 69 views)
stra2.jpg (38.7 KB, 59 views)
bend1.jpg (41.1 KB, 56 views)
bend2.jpg (31.2 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Mark71; May 4th, 2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: picture were out of order
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:17 AM

Pic two looks like a catapult for launching flying saucers...
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Pic two looks like a catapult for launching flying saucers...
LOL! I would have never noticed that. I was just using the rotor for added weight.