Parts place foam

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2021, 05:08 PM

Parts place foam

Has anyone used the parts place foam to do their seats? The bottoms where ok just needed to fill the slots for the listings in the front because they went full length instead of lust the rear half. Now the backrest is another story. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how the foam was going to fit, ti was an inch to inch and a half wider on both sides of the backrest frame. I felt that it was possibly supposed to wrap aroound like the factory stuff which seemed to work out ok on the sides but when I went to put the skin on it is fighting me till the material is starting to faling at the lower corners. The parts place foam has a extra thickness at the lower corner and the cover seems to ahve a sharp bend that currently I cant even get to round the corner on the frame. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old December 4th, 2021, 07:08 PM

When I installed new seat covers I used a trick from I read about in a magazine. Slit a trash bag so it’s one layer, and lay it over the seat foam so the covers slide easily over the foam. That really helped to get the seat covers adjusted easily. The article said to then pull the plastic out, but I couldn’t get it out, so I left it. Figured since I had a convertible and lived on the Gulf Coast, at some point I’d be caught in a rainstorm with the top down and the plastic under the seat covers would prevent the foam from getting soaked. 30 years have passed and the plastic hasn’t been an issue.
Old December 4th, 2021, 07:28 PM

Reach out to member Rambow, he is an expert at upholstery.