Help with front bench

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:02 PM

Help with front bench

ok so my 71 is a daily driver with the original bench seat in front in the sienna brown color it came in. well the stitching from the drivers side is starting to give out from me hopping in and out everyday (weighing 200lbs). so my question is, can a shop stretch the material out and re sew it or am I going to have to order a whole new front seat cover? how much on estimate should this cost me? Im tired of looking at the seat slowly ripping more and more. thanks in advance!
Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You can have the shop put in just the panel that's worn out. You don't need to do the whole seat if just a part of it is gone. They won't be able to 'stretch' the seat panel enough to get any good seam. The panel that let go was all one piece to start with so if it let go, it's probably weak all the way along. The naughahyde pattern (grain) is not hard to get. Just make sure you tell them you want the proper ridges sewn into the panel when it goes back. Is this a Supreme or fastback model?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:23 PM

If the seat cover is OK but just the stitching has come loose I think they'll still have to remove the seat cover to re-do it. We've got a lot of experience on this site, but not as many people who are really good at interior work. There is one person I've seen comment on seat covers, I think it's "therobski" but I'm not positive. You could send him a PM and ask if he has any ideas about it. If I'm thinking of the wrong person blame it on me! Old age or some such issue...

I would wonder if the stitching is weak from age in the one seam, what's the condition of the rest of it?

John
Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
GM Enthusiast

If the seat material is in overall good shape, it can probably be resewn.

If you take the seat cover off, I would replace the foam too. It takes a beating on the edges from people getting in and out of the car. You'd be surprised how much better the seat will feel with new foam.

If you decide to tackle the job yourself , let me know and I can help you through it. I do seat covers and convertible tops on the side.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Give Ben (RAMBOW on this site) a PM. He specializes in seat rebuilding. Here's his website http://apicdn.viglink.com/api/click?...chid%3D1347438
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Give Ben (RAMBOW on this site) a PM. He specializes in seat rebuilding. Here's his website http://apicdn.viglink.com/api/click?...chid%3D1347438
THAT'S the name I was thinking of But I'm glad Darrel offered to help as well. So we've got two members who repair seats/seat covers... I just have to remember the names for the next post I try to answer

John
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No worries John. I'm sure there are others on this site who also have the skills or knowledge. Just that I'm more familiar with Ben. I'd need to put together a database to remember all this stuff too. If I did that, I'd prolly spend more time keeping it updated than trying to be helpful here. Merry Christmas my friend!
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:38 PM

appreciate the input. Rest of the bench is in great condition. good idea on replacing the foam as well. Ill have to swing by a local interior shop and see what I'm working with. Ill update as it happens..
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If you do use a local shop, make sure you tell them you want the finished product to have the raised padding and recessed stitched valleys. Lots of shops just sew the vinyl flat onto the foam because they don't have any other instructions.