Door Glass Vendor - '72 442 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2023, 07:32 AM
Rodney

Door Glass Vendor - '72 442 Convertible

Hey guys. Unfortunately, the glass in my door has severe scratching because the window sweeps dry rotted to the point where the attaching screws rubbed the exterior side of the glass. I've been trying to buff out these scratches for months now with very little to show for my hours of effort. I've tried Bon Ami 1886, special glass buffing compounds, and cerium oxide; none of these products has been able to remove the deeper scratches, so I'm throwing in the towel and ordering new glass. Maybe I can score a July 4th discount?

I've always heard Pilkington was the best repop glass. Who is a good supplier? I have the greenish tinted "Soft Ray" glass.
Thanks!

Rodney

Last edited by cdrod; July 4th, 2023 at 08:16 AM.
Old July 5th, 2023, 12:14 PM

You can polish glass scratches for a million years and not get the scratch out. In the process of all that polishing, the glass is thinned slightly, and the view through it can be distorted. This is not such a big issue for door glass, but it is one of the reasons that polishing scratches out of windshields is usually not recommended. The rule of thumb I've always heard is that, if the scratch is deep enough that you can feel it by running your fingernail over it, it is too deep to polish out.

I just got a new windshield for my '73 Delta 88, and I got it through a local, nearly Mom-and-Pop glass shop. You can certainly try something like Safelite, but all of the local Safelte shops near me told me that they don't work cars as old as mine even though the Safelite website says that they do.

But one of the Safelite shops DID recommend a local guy, and they were great. I called him on a Tuesday, he had the new glass in on Thursday, and I had it installed by them the following Monday, which was the earliest I could get the car in. Getting the right tinting was no issue, either.

That's the key, I think. Don't try to locate a specific glass manufacturer. Rather, call some local shops and see what they say. Often, if a shop can't do it, they know of another shop nearby that specializes in older vehicles. The shop I took mine to was installing a new rear window in a '72 Cadillac at the same time. I watched for a while. Very cool, and nice to see that these guys were taking good care to do the job right.
Old July 5th, 2023, 01:25 PM

Rodney,
Auto City Classic will have what you need:

https://www.autocityclassic.com/70-7...Pkg-7072PKGCON

You can get a full set of glass for $559.00 (clear or green) or buy individual pieces.

Old July 5th, 2023, 05:49 PM
Rodney

Tom:
Do you have first hand experience? Have you used this glass?
Thanks

Rodney
Old July 5th, 2023, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by cdrod
Tom:
Do you have first hand experience? Have you used this glass?
Thanks

Rodney
I put a complete set of green glass in this 69 Chevelle that my brother and I did a full frame off on. That was probably around 2013. It was pretty nice overall. A frend of mine has a set of their grey tinted glass in his 67 Nova, and I also have a set of their green glass that will be going in the 67 Camaro convertible I am currently working on for my dad. The windsheild in my Vista Cruiser if from them as well.

FYI: This is what the 69 looked like when we started:

Last edited by Loaded68W34; July 5th, 2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old July 5th, 2023, 08:50 PM
Rodney

What a transformation on the Chevelle and thanks for the first hand review of the ACC glass. I found the full set of door & quarter glass on eBay and pulled the trigger tonight.
Rodney