Deluxe seat belts or standard 🤔?

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2023, 06:09 PM

Deluxe seat belts or standard 🤔?

I'm looking to replace the passenger side seat belt retractor cover on my '72 Supreme, and it seems there are two different ones depending on whether it has standard or deluxe seat belts. I've included a picture of my build sheet, but all I see is the code for 3 point belts. Can anyone help me with this?

Also, can the cover be removed without removing the retractor? I looked in the ASM, but it was kinda vague on this.

Thanks in advance

Old August 18th, 2023, 06:12 PM

Post a pic of your buckle.
Old August 18th, 2023, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Post a pic of your buckle.
Here ya go...

Old August 20th, 2023, 12:29 PM

Can anyone help me with this?
Old August 20th, 2023, 12:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Those are the standard belts.Deluxe belts have brushed stainless covers on the buckles and would have shown up as RPO AK1 on the build sheet. Also, deluxe belts were color-matched to the interior, standard were all black.
Old August 20th, 2023, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Those are the standard belts.Deluxe belts have brushed stainless covers on the buckles and would have shown up as RPO AK1 on the build sheet. Also, deluxe belts were color-matched to the interior, standard were all black.
Gotcha...so here's a picture of the covers I have. If you notice, there's a "flap" on the backside, and I dunno if I haven't looked hard enough, or they're just not available aftermarket, but I haven't seen any with the flap. Also, how do the covers actually attach?

Old August 20th, 2023, 01:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

https://www.ecklers.com/camaro-seat-...-386853-1.html

Old August 20th, 2023, 01:07 PM

Thanks Joe. According to their info, those covers are for Robbins 3200 belts. Unless I'm wrong, it appears I have Hamill 1200 belts...is that right?

Also, how do the covers attach?
Old August 20th, 2023, 01:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Usually these covers just snap in place over the retractor, but I'd pop the trap door open and have a look. As for the Robbins vs Hamil, that Eckler's catalog is for F-body cars, not A-body. Those sure look like the same covers.
Old August 20th, 2023, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Usually these covers just snap in place over the retractor, but I'd pop the trap door open and have a look. As for the Robbins vs Hamil, that Eckler's catalog is for F-body cars, not A-body. Those sure look like the same covers.
So I took a look and apparently there is a small plastic pin on either side of the bottom of the cover. (See the very bottom of my pic above in #5). These pins slide into some sort of tube that runs underneath the bracket for the retractor. Any idea where I could get a set of the pins and the tube?

Also, my covers aren't as rounded on the top as the ones from Eckler's.

Last edited by 72455; August 20th, 2023 at 02:27 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2023, 10:57 AM

I've had good luck getting retractor covers from Ames. They had the widest selection when I was looking around some years ago. There are some very subtle differences where the '72 had the warning light connection, so the cover is a little bit bigger than the earlier ones. Ames had those slightly larger ones and no one else did (that I found, ~6 years ago).

Yes, from the factory there's a bar running under the retractor that keeps the cover locked onto it. Pop open the cover and you can remove the main bolt holding the retractor to the floor, then you can take it out and look at it real close. I've never found a replacement for the bar and plastic rivets and just left them off.

If you want absolutely correct then your best bet is to find a replacement retractor that has a good cover and good belt.

Also, be cautious! Most of the "standard" belts are half length (at least from what I've seen, certainly open to correction). The fixed belt reaches over to your belly button and the retractor only comes over that far. The "Deluxe" belts are full length on the retractor side with the fixed belt sitting down by your hip. Looks like this is another oddity of '72 Supreme cars where the "standard" belts use the full length retractors and the smaller buckle like the deluxe. You're probably best off looking for a black '72 deluxe retractor. I expect it'll be the same.

Good news: Black is the only color that tends to get reproduced or people spend much time reconditioning and selling. So you're more likely to find something. Bad news: I think the '72 seat belts might be a one-year-only special, and only certain makes and only certain trims. Maybe Buick used these? Pretty certain none of the Chevys did. Pretty certain these weren't available on the non-Supreme '72 Cutlasses. Well, maybe 73 and later used the same, but who would know such mysteries?